Do lab grades matter as much as lecture grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

futureisnear

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The classes are separate, just 1 credit hour in both. Would you say the lecture grade is more important to the adcom's since it weighs more?
 
The classes are separate, just 1 credit hour in both. Would you say the lecture grade is more important to the adcom's since it weighs more?

Typically a composite GPA is calculated that includes all of your prerequisite courses. The classes with more credits weigh heavier on your GPA.

For example:

Lecture received A worth 3 credits
Lab received B worth 1 credit

~3.8 GPA

As opposed to:

lecture received A worth 3 credits
Lecture received B worth 3 credits

~3.5 GPA

This is also assuming that an A is a 4.0 and a B is 3.0. I believe that a B is actually a 3.2 but I might be mistaken. Universities calculate their GPAs differently but I believe that this is the most common way to do it.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad

Receiving a low grade in a one credit class will lower your GPA much less than receiving a low grade in a 3 credit class. So - I think it does matter considering your GPA is a pretty standard factor in gaining acceptance to a pharmacy school.

hmmm. I am noticing that I read the OP's question wrong. If the lecture and lab are both one credit (pretty strange) then no it would not matter.
 
I believe that a B is actually a 3.2 but I might be mistaken. Universities calculate their GPAs differently but I believe that this is the most common way to do it.

At my university, a B is a 3.0 while a B+ is 3.3. It would have been pretty cool if a B was considered a 3.2; my GPA would look a hell of a lot better lol.