DO Letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bearded gent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Kind of in a weird situation. I'm lacking a DO letter and having a hard time finding a DO to shadow. My only letters are from a volunteer supervisor, PI in research and Biology supervisor. I am now starting to realize that my school options are drastically decreasing with a lack of a DO letter. I'm hoping to have my AACOMAS application submitted by the end of next week and I'm taking the MCAT August 24. Here's my question. Can I submit my application to schools that require a DO letter and find a DO to shadow/ get a letter from after my MCAT? Or should I just give up on that idea and apply to schools that don't require a DO letter since it's already somewhat late into the cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure there are only 4 or 5 DO schools this year that still require a DO letter. Most of them say MD or DO with DO preferred.

Reactions: 1 user
Kind of in a weird situation. I'm lacking a DO letter and having a hard time finding a DO to shadow. My only letters are from a volunteer supervisor, PI in research and Biology supervisor. I am now starting to realize that my school options are drastically decreasing with a lack of a DO letter. I'm hoping to have my AACOMAS application submitted by the end of next week and I'm taking the MCAT August 24. Here's my question. Can I submit my application to schools that require a DO letter and find a DO to shadow/ get a letter from after my MCAT? Or should I just give up on that idea and apply to schools that don't require a DO letter since it's already somewhat late into the cycle?

Yea I also don't think there are that many schools that require one. You can always update LORS in AACOMAS or have them sent through inter folio directly to schools. Interfolio just switched to a mandatory flat rate policy thing so it's not as big of a pain to do that anymore.

I would just apply everywhere that interests you, focus on the MCAT and update later on. DO LORs are def helpful at all schools so go for one if you can.

Members don't see this ad :)
So it's recommended but not required? Maybe I'm just misreading the requirements for the schools I'm looking at.
I'm pretty sure there are only 4 or 5 DO schools this year that still require a DO letter. Most of them say MD or DO with DO preferred.

Which school are you looking at?
ACOM, LECOM, OSU-COM, both PCOM's, RVUCOM, KYCOM, BCOM, ARCOM, TCOM
I plan on adding more to this list. I'm a Texas resident

Last edited:
Not sure about the other schools, but PCOM doesn't even require a physician LOR, let alone strictly an MD one. They require either a committee letter or 3 individual letters, 2 from science professors and 1 from a non-science professor. I think you are missing something/got the wrong info when you looked up the requirements for these schools, so maybe give it another search?

Also, LECOM doesn't require letters until you get an interview. Anyways, they don't require a DO letter either. They say it's "recommended but not required".

According to those school's websites:
ACOM - DO preferred
LECOM - DO recommended
OSU-COM - No physician letter required
PCOM - No physician letter required
RVUCOM - Physician letter MD or DO
KYCOM - DO preferred
BCOM - Physician letter MD or DO
ARCOM - DO letter required
TCOM - No Physician letter required

Looks like only one of your schools requires a DO letter. It's always best to have a DO letter though, even if it's not required. I think it's an easy way to separate yourself from the MD candidates that apply to a few DO schools as a fall back.

Reactions: 1 users
Yea you shouldn't stress about that so much. Schools prefer a DO letter because it shows that you have exposure to the world of osteopathy. But if you have other DO experiences and a great MD letter than it's not a big deal.

It's NOT late in the cycle. You have until T-giving, in fact.

I do not have a DO letter (nor DO shadowing experience) and have gotten interview invites at LECOM-E, LECOM-B, and TCOM from your list. I do have an MD letter though. I wouldn't sweat getting a DO letter unless the school absolutely requires it. Most DO schools understand that there are way less DO's than MD's which therefore can make it much more difficult to obtain a DO letter.

I met with a pre-med advisor at COMP recently and asked her the same question. She said they strongly prefer at least one LOR from a DO. She seemed pretty serious about it. For what it's worth

Is Biology supervisor = professor? You should have a science professor from one of your classes write you a letter.

As for the DO one, it's ideal to have a letter, but if you can't, then don't worry about it. Some areas just don't have any DOs within a 45 mile radius (and yes, I would travel within that distance to shadow a DO if I had to). I would still try to learn about osteopathic principles and OMM from YT videos and websites. Also, see if you can have an email correspondence with a DO. At least this way, you have something to back up that question in your secondary plus during the interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, the Biology supervisor is considered a lab coordinator. I have no letters from science professors. I'm just going to shadow a DO in September and hopefully send in a letter at a later date. I'll just submit everything else soon.
Is Biology supervisor = professor? You should have a science professor from one of your classes write you a letter.

As for the DO one, it's ideal to have a letter, but if you can't, then don't worry about it. Some areas just don't have any DOs within a 45 mile radius (and yes, I would travel within that distance to shadow a DO if I had to). I would still try to learn about osteopathic principles and OMM from YT videos and websites. Also, see if you can have an email correspondence with a DO. At least this way, you have something to back up that question in your secondary plus during the interview.

No, the Biology supervisor is considered a lab coordinator. I have no letters from science professors. I'm just going to shadow a DO in September and hopefully send in a letter at a later date. I'll just submit everything else soon.
How do you expect to properly apply to medical school without letters of rec from science professors at the very least?

You are going to need a science letter. I applied to 24 schools and every single one required at least a DO letter and a science professor letter. A few of those schools had exceptions for non-trads.

Well, I am non-traditional that's why I don't have letters from science professors.

Well, I'm non-traditional that's why I don't have any letters from science professors.
You are going to need a science letter. I applied to 24 schools and every single one required at least a DO letter and a science professor letter. A few of those schools had exceptions for non-trads.

Well, I'm non-traditional that's why I don't have any letters from science professors.

Unfortunately these other posters are still right, you're going to need at least one for almost all schools, and a lot require two in lieu of the committee letter.

I ended up not going this route but I email a prof I had had two years prior and she said she'd write one.. prob not ideal, but if you've been out of school awhile and don't want to take any more class this may be your option.

Well, ****. Now I'm kind of panicking. My PI in research is a neuroscience professor but I haven't taken any classes with her. She wrote me a letter but I assume it's strictly research based. Should this be sufficient?
Unfortunately these other posters are still right, you're going to need at least one for almost all schools, and a lot require two in lieu of the committee letter.

I ended up not going this route but I email a prof I had had two years prior and she said she'd write one.. prob not ideal, but if you've been out of school awhile and don't want to take any more class this may be your option.

Well, ****. Now I'm kind of panicking. My PI in research is a neuroscience professor but I haven't taken any classes with her. She wrote me a letter but I assume it's strictly research based. Should this be sufficient?

It could be some places. But filling out secondaries now I distinctly remember seeing on several "Be sure your science letter writers state the class you've had with them." Also pretty sure I've seen the all knowing @Goro state that the research letter isn't nearly as valuable as the science professor LOR. Could it suffice some places? Maybe unfortunately I don't know more at this point. You could call and ask, and hopefully one of the adcoms on here can weigh in.

Thanks for your input. I honestly don't know what to do now. I'm taking the MCAT in a couple of weeks and don't need this extra stress!

I do remember a few schools saying they had different rules for nontrad letters (I think Nova is one) but the vast majority require atleast 1 science letter. As a non trad myself, I feel your pain.

I don't know how I'd manage to get a letter in such a short period of time as well. I've already submitted my letters to TMDSAS and received all my Texas secondaries. I haven't submitted any letters to AACOMAS though.
I do remember a few schools saying they had different rules for nontrad letters (I think Nova is one) but the vast majority require atleast 1 science letter. As a non trad myself, I feel your pain.

It could be some places. But filling out secondaries now I distinctly remember seeing on several "Be sure your science letter writers state the class you've had with them." Also pretty sure I've seen the all knowing @Goro state that the research letter isn't nearly as valuable as the science professor LOR. Could it suffice some places? Maybe unfortunately I don't know more at this point. You could call and ask, and hopefully one of the adcoms on here can weigh in.
An MD LOR from a PI will suffice for the DO school requirement for LOR from a clinician, even if said clinician hasn't touched a patient since residency.

@Goro My PI is a neuroscience professor and wrote me a letter regarding the research I've participated in with her lab. Would this count as a science professor letter? I haven't taken any classes with her.

I've come this far and a lack of science professor letters of recommendation are going to keep me out:(

I've come this far and a lack of science professor letters of recommendation are going to keep me out:(

Nah man don't let this keep you down. Contact your old profs, I bet someone will write one.

Worse comes to worse just take a CC biochemistry class or something and get to know the professor in that.

Nah man don't let this keep you down. Contact your old profs, I bet someone will write one.

Worse comes to worse just take a CC biochemistry class or something and get to know the professor in that.
I'll begin contacting asap. My previous university denied my committee letter and it's really screwing me now. I'm going to contact them to see if there's any way they could reconsider. I really want to get in this cycle. The though of having to wait another two years is dreadful, especially considering that I'm 25. @Goro Should I just submit my application with the letters I have (no science professors) and hopefully add another from a science professor at a later date?

Last edited:
The schools need the least 1 science, 1 non science and 1 DO/MD LOR.
Take science class at community college and try to get one or keep trying to contact your old school science professor.

You can let your schools know after submitting your app that you're trying to obtain a DO letter, but unless the school requires a DO letter, I wouldn't stress out too much. A strong MD letter would outweigh a weak DO letter.

did you have any luck with either DO schools or getting that science rec letter? I'm in the same shoes as you are and it's stressing me the heck out

did you have any luck with either DO schools or getting that science rec letter? I'm in the same shoes as you are and it's stressing me the heck out
No, I had no luck. I did get my science letters though. Just keep trying to find a DO to shadow. If not, all you can do is proceed with what you have. If your stats are above average you might be okay. I am reapplying this coming cycle with everything finished in advance this time. Best of luck!

No, I had no luck. I did get my science letters though. Just keep trying to find a DO to shadow. If not, all you can do is proceed with what you have. If your stats are above average you might be okay. I am reapplying this coming cycle with everything finished in advance this time. Best of luck!
ahh gotcha. thank you good sir! best of luck to you as well.

I prefer to see a D.O. LOR, but indicate that you live in an area with few to no D.O's and keep trying. However, those areas have been shrinking over the years. Best wishes and good luck!