DO Letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gooloogooloo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about DO rec. letter deal. I have asked several DOs for shadowing opportunity through either the clinic I volunteer or just physician directory online. Then I did get to shadow several physicians whom I could even ask for a rec letter. But the thing is, I don't think that it's good enough for what I am looking for.

I am looking for a doctor who is willing to dedicate his time to know my strength, my personality, my passion and my need. I want a doctor who is willing to teach me, to have a personal relationship with me so I can have, not just a strong rec. letter, but sort of a friend.

I know lots friends of mine got connections with Doctors, either their parents are doctors or their parents are professors. I myself though, don't have any connection like they do. Doctors I found they only allow me to see some stupid crap. My friend got to see colonscopy, I got to see ****. And all those physicians I worked with, they have their private pts, therefore they care about business, if you know what I mean. They can't and they won't risk their business for a premed student whom they don't even know, to offend their pts by bring me into the session bluntly.

Yeah, it'r true that their considerations are reasonable. I am not medically trained orentrusted personally with them. This previous doctor she just asked me few questions and led me see several of her pts w/ very limited involvement, then she said it's enough for her to write my rec. That's so bs. No matter what she writes, will not do any good for me.

I am kinda an untraditional accplicant. I really need a strong rec from a doc who understands me. I don't just want a rec letter just like a routine procedure cuz it's part of the process. I want it to mean something.

My question is that how will I be able to find a doctor like that?

Members don't see this ad.

I asked my allopathic primary care physician (when I was still seeing an allopath) if he could reccomend a DO for me to shadow and he did so very willingly and with lots of praise.

Just ask around or try calling the local chapter of the Osteopathic Society.

care

I picked up my local phone book and looked through the yellow pages for DOs.

Then I wrote a generic letter stating my career goals and why I was interested in meeting with them.

I sent probably 8 letters.

One DO called me back within 2 weeks.

If they take the time to get back to you, chances are they will take the time to help you out.

HINT: Look for a younger doctor, they are probably more willing to help out. (at least in my case)

Also, try to find a DO in primary care. Often, they have more managaable schedules and a better "shadowing environment".

You can also look on the AOA website <a href="http://www.aoa-net.org" target="_blank">www.aoa-net.org</a> and clikc on FIND A DO.

Enter the information and BAM, a list of DOs in your area.

Good luck to you.