1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

DO Letter

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by gooloogooloo, May 21, 2002.

1. gooloogooloo

gooloogooloo Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I have a question about DO rec. letter deal. I have asked several DOs for shadowing opportunity through either the clinic I volunteer or just physician directory online. Then I did get to shadow several physicians whom I could even ask for a rec letter. But the thing is, I don't think that it's good enough for what I am looking for.

I am looking for a doctor who is willing to dedicate his time to know my strength, my personality, my passion and my need. I want a doctor who is willing to teach me, to have a personal relationship with me so I can have, not just a strong rec. letter, but sort of a friend.

I know lots friends of mine got connections with Doctors, either their parents are doctors or their parents are professors. I myself though, don't have any connection like they do. Doctors I found they only allow me to see some stupid crap. My friend got to see colonscopy, I got to see ****. And all those physicians I worked with, they have their private pts, therefore they care about business, if you know what I mean. They can't and they won't risk their business for a premed student whom they don't even know, to offend their pts by bring me into the session bluntly.

Yeah, it'r true that their considerations are reasonable. I am not medically trained orentrusted personally with them. This previous doctor she just asked me few questions and led me see several of her pts w/ very limited involvement, then she said it's enough for her to write my rec. That's so bs. No matter what she writes, will not do any good for me.

I am kinda an untraditional accplicant. I really need a strong rec from a doc who understands me. I don't just want a rec letter just like a routine procedure cuz it's part of the process. I want it to mean something.

My question is that how will I be able to find a doctor like that?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Careofme

Careofme Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I asked my allopathic primary care physician (when I was still seeing an allopath) if he could reccomend a DO for me to shadow and he did so very willingly and with lots of praise.

Just ask around or try calling the local chapter of the Osteopathic Society.

care

4. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I picked up my local phone book and looked through the yellow pages for DOs.

Then I wrote a generic letter stating my career goals and why I was interested in meeting with them.

I sent probably 8 letters.

One DO called me back within 2 weeks.

If they take the time to get back to you, chances are they will take the time to help you out.

HINT: Look for a younger doctor, they are probably more willing to help out. (at least in my case)

Also, try to find a DO in primary care. Often, they have more managaable schedules and a better "shadowing environment".

You can also look on the AOA website <a href="http://www.aoa-net.org" target="_blank">www.aoa-net.org</a> and clikc on FIND A DO.

Enter the information and BAM, a list of DOs in your area.

Good luck to you.