Do letters of recommendation expire?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kermitthefrog2

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I plan to take two gap years after my undergrad, my letters from professors will be 1-2 years old when i apply. Can I use letters that are 2 years old? Is there even an age limit for letters? thanks!
 
I applied 6 years after I graduated from college and used 3 letters from college without a problem. One of those professors died like a year after I graduated so I was happy to have it. I also reached out to my pre-health advisors and they wrote me an updated committee letter to incorporate the new letters from physicians I worked with in the 6 years since I graduated.
 
I used interfolio to save up letters for a handful of years and it wasn't an issue. I think 5+ yrs might be pushing it because a lot can change in that time period but it seems adcoms understand it's not always feasible to get a fresh science and physician LOR the exact semester you apply to school.