MD & DO The Human Insight Project (THI.AI) - AI for Students, Residents, and Attending Physicians.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stevmq

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I wanted to share an exciting update with you all regarding a project I have been working on. Some time ago, I posted on Reddit about fine-tuning an Open AI model for medical purposes, and I received a lot of positive feedback. Encouraged by this response, I decided to delve deeper and produce something even more effective.

Today, I am thrilled to introduce The Human Insight Project. This is an application designed for pre-meds, medical students, residents, and physicians. It allows users to ask for help, receive responses, and provide feedback to the system, which we then use to further refine and improve the algorithm.

Let me explain a little bit about how the application works. We have deployed two LLM models: one is OpenAI GPT-3, which has 175 billion parameters, and the other is THI, our own model based on open-source LLM with 176 billion parameters. When a user enters a prompt and asks for a definition, these two models compete to provide the most relevant answer in an ensemble layer. The ensemble then decides on the most accurate/probable response, and that answer is sent to the user. The user can then read the answer and indicate whether they are satisfied with it. If so, the prompt and answer are used to train THI, allowing us to continually improve the system.

Have you ever been studying and come across a term that you kind of understand, but not completely? THI is designed to provide a more accurate and reliable source than a simple Google search. While there are many possible use cases for this application, currently we are limiting its use to medical-related questions, specifically asking for medical definitions and terms.

1. Visit THI.AI
2. log in
3. type /ask + ENTER
4. Ask your question (Example found below)
5. Get a definition and clinical significance.

r/medicalschoolanki - The Human Insight Project (THI.AI) - AI for Medical Students.
Sample Answer from The Human Insight Project

In the very near future, we plan to add even more features to the application, such as ELI5, the ability to save texts, and the option to create flashcards. Also, an Anki add-on is on its way. I am open to hearing any inquiries, feedback, requests for additional features, or any other meaningful discussions about Ethics or the intersection of AI and Medicine.

Thank you all for your support, and I look forward to sharing further updates with you.

Warm regards,

- Steve

Inspirations & Credits :
1. Large-Scale Retrieval for Reinforcement Learning (Google)
(https://arxiv.org/pdf/2206.05314.pdf)
2. Large Language Models Encode Clinical Knowledge (Google & Deepmind)
(https://arxiv.org/pdf/2212.13138.pdf)
3. Reward is enough (Deepmind)
(Reward is Enough)

Here I will add some questions and answers as we go on:

How is THI different from ChatGPT or Bing AI?

This is a great question! Currently, the response from THI is similar to that of Chat GPT, but with a more concise and structured format. However, in a few weeks, we will be incorporating user input, weighted based on their level of medical expertise (attending > resident > med student > undergrad), into THI's model. This will result in a scientifically accurate response that surpasses those provided by Chat GPT.

Essentially, we are using Chat GPT to generate some initial answers, which we then verify with our collective medical knowledge before feeding it into THI, a machine dedicated solely to medicine. Although THI may currently lose the probability game to ChatGPT in the ensemble layer-- thus the answers are more influenced by ChatGPT, this will soon change with the integration of user input.

Lastly, it's currently free, lag & disconnect-free, always available, and much faster than ChatGPT.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
FYI— @stevmq approached us before posting, and given the novelty and potential interest to our users, we allowed this post. I hope this tool proves helpful 🙂

Reactions: 1 users
A new update was pushed today and the following functionality has been added to the platform:
/ask: Generate an answer to your particular question? Kindly ensure that your questions are posed in a complete format. e.g: What are the symptoms of diabetes? or What is the function of the mitochondria?

/eli5: Simplify the concept that a five-year-old can comprehend.

/eli15: Simplify the concept that a fifteen years old can comprehend.

/feedback: Provide feedback to the team behind The Human Insight Project.

/feature_requests: What features would you like to see added to The Human Insight Project?

/help: Get a list of functions.

/presentation: Generate a presentation for a complication including its symptoms, signs, physical exam findings, lab findings, and variations using this function.

/moa: Get the mechanism of action behind a pharmacological agent or a complication.

/stem: To determine the stem of a term. e.g: Plagioencephaly, Omphalocele.
Please let me know if you need any feature/functionality to be added.

Reactions: 1 user