Do many med students use on campus housing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted74029

I rarely hear of any students that live on campus? are most of the dorms pretty bad? Plus i'd imagine that most ppl 22+ year olds dont want to live in a dorm.

Members don't see this ad.

i know some schools help you out with apartments. cornell has some really nice housing where you can choose apartments instead of the traditional dorm style living. that is really nice if you want to live your SO.

I was wondering about this too. I was accepted into my school's housing, which is only ~$160 per month (!) and they have private bathrooms, no roomates, cable, utilities included, etc. but the school is in a really bad neighborhood.

Like the OP said, it seems like not many med students live on campus. Why?

Members don't see this ad :)
bodonid, may i ask which school you are talking about? is the housing far from the actual school? that is a pretty sweet deal.

I will end up living off campus because i want to live with my boyfriend. if i were single, i would most definitely live in the offered housing.

Like the OP said, it seems like not many med students live on campus. Why?
Because a vast majority of schools do not offer on campus housing specifically for medical students.

If your school is affiliated with an undergrad campus, you might qualify for grad student housing, but with a few notable exceptions (AECOM comes to mind), I don't know of any schools that have med school housing.

With the hours you'll be working and whatnot, I think it's best off to get your own place. You need the ability to control the volume (which you can't always to in grad school housing).

Also, at the end of the day, you're trying to beocme a doctor here. Learning how to live outside the bosom of college is a good skill to pick up.

bodonid, may i ask which school you are talking about? is the housing far from the actual school? that is a pretty sweet deal.

I will end up living off campus because i want to live with my boyfriend. if i were single, i would most definitely live in the offered housing.

its my state school (got a sweet scholarship). The housing is actually 50 yards from the hospital, 75 yards from lecture halls (and next door to the student gym)

I am excited, but everyone is telling me how much crime there is and that I am sure to be killed by M2.

Edit- no undergrad affiliation here to speak of, so that may be part of it.

heh... i wonder which state this is.. if its that close, i think you should be ok no? i hope the campus and the housing have security.

I'm pretty sure all of the NYC schools (AECOM, Downstate, Columbia, Cornell, NYU, and MSSM) all have student housing specifically for med students that almost everyone takes advantage of because of the ridiculously cheap rent (for NYC).

Reactions: 1 user
heh... i wonder which state this is.. if its that close, i think you should be ok no? i hope the campus and the housing have security.

ominously named campus security "hut":

moz-screenshot.jpg

moz-screenshot-1.jpg

Attachments

• hut1.jpg
    hut1.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 126
My school has 3 med fraternities with pretty cheap housing, all within a 5-10 min walk from classes.

I visited two schools where the majority of med students lived in a dorm, but they were both in cities known for crime (WashU and Hopkins).

I'll be living on campus at UAMS. It's a bit expensive ($575/month, evrything included, private kitchen and bath), but I think that's worth the convenience of not having to look for apartments in a city I'm largely unfamiliar with, mess with a landlord, and commute to campus.