DO match or MD Match????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoBuckeyes913

Intoxicating
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I have yet another dilemma. I'm applying EM, but I don't know whether to do the DO or MD match. I've heard different things from 2 different attendings, advising me to do different things. Here's my story:

Went on 4 DO interviews (turned down 7)... would only rank 1 DO program out of 4. This particular program was in my favorite geographical location, had some of my favorite people, but there's some things that aren't quite ironed out in the program yet. What are these things? Well, the trauma out-rotation is rocky becuase the hospital they wanted to send the residents to hasn't struck a deal yet, Peds is same situation as trauma. Some off service rotations have also been rocky since this is the first time other services in the hospital have had residents. AOA requirements aren't quite filled, which is easily changed. The EM residency is the only residency at this hospital and it's fairly new. I loved the people though, and loved the location. The problem is that it doesn't quite have all the resources I'm looking for in a residency (aside from the above mentioned, i.e. EMS observation, not very academic). I was told that they loved me and want me to come there, and I know if I were to rank them in the DO match, they would rank me and I would go there. Basically, I have a spot.

Went on 10 MD interviews, would rank about 7 or 8/10. My top 3 choices overall would be in this match. I just don't know what my chances are at actually matching at these places, being DO student and all (2 of them are ridiculously competitive.... my #1 and #2, that typically don't take DOs). My faves are everything I want in a residency academically and are well-established programs. The people and locations I would be happy with. I just don't want to end up not matching.

I've recieved 2 different pieces of advice:
1. Do MD match, "You'll match, don't worry. Your training is the only training you will get and you don't want anything left out, so going to a place that you know will prepare you will be better. You have to think of your education first". ----Now I agree with this. But I can't reiderate enough that I'm completely terrified of not matching. TERRIFIED. Yes, I've looked at the statistics a million times. I'm still freaking out.

2. Do DO match because "You know you have a spot at a place you like even though it's not your top 3, and your residency is what you make of it and no matter what you know you'll be an ER doc at the end. It's competitive, you should go where you get in". ----This fuels my fear of bypassing the DO match to go into the allo match... and not matching. Should I do it?

So what the hell should I do????? I haven't slept in like 3 days. I feel like crap, and I hate the fact that this process has messed with my head as much as it already has.

I need a vacation.

Members don't see this ad.

You're basically going to have to decide if you're willing to be pulled out of the MD match if you get in the DO spot. If not, then stay out of the DO match. If it's an acceptable option, then go for it. Nobody else is going to be able to answer that other than you. Just keep in mind that every program has pros and cons, and you may not realize what they are unless you're there. :)

hard for me to answer this as I'm not a DO. However, it seems to me if you got 10 interview invites to MD ER programs, that suggests you are a competitive applicant for their match. If you are saying your #1 and #2 rarely take DO's, then they may be hard to get in, but how about your #3-8. Where would you rank the DO program within that group?

What does ERAS say the match rate would be for DO ranking 8 ER programs? Are there any statistics?

Can you go for a "2nd look" at a couple of the ER programs, perhaps your #1 or 2 and then maybe the #3 or #4 that you think you might have a better chance to match at?

I also think some of the things you mention about the DO program sound like red flags. Are you sure you want to be a "guinea pig" in this new program. Having good trauma experience is important for an ER resident, because it's what separates you (ER docs) from the rest of us (folks like fp and IM docs who sometimes work in ER's). I know that trauma, and also lacerations and a few other things, are what I always have to get help on. For me it's Ok because our ER is lower acuity and also we are expected to consult surgery a lot for those types of problems (as the ER is staffed with mostly IM docs). For YOU it would not be OK to not be experienced with what to do with those trauma cases. Similarly, pediatric training is important in much the same way...the very little ones are not just little adults and there can be different principles involved in treating them. You aren't sure how this new residency is doing with arranging those rotations, so why take a chance? You shouldn't let the fact that they are recruiting you flatter you too much into taking the spot, unless you are sure the training will be good...the program is just looking out for #1 because it seems they know you are a good applicant. You need to look out for yourself also. But that's just my point of view.

I agree with Dragonfly. "your residency is what you make of it" is a total bull**** statement. Rather, your residency will make you and you should only aim to get the best of the best, even if the location is not ideal, or the hospital is not as pretty as another. How can you make up for lack of training and opportunity? You simply cant. Residency will make you a physician and your experience cannot be gained from books. Go MD and be safe. The other suggestion is, do not look at your interviews as number 1, 2, 3 etc at this stage. Instead treat every single interview as your only one and give it your all to match to that program. When you have interviewed, done well and it is time to rank programs, that is when you should decide who is number 1, 2 etc. At this time you have no spot, so every opportunity should be precious. Good luck young grasshopper.

hard for me to answer this as I'm not a DO. However, it seems to me if you got 10 interview invites to MD ER programs, that suggests you are a competitive applicant for their match. If you are saying your #1 and #2 rarely take DO's, then they may be hard to get in, but how about your #3-8. Where would you rank the DO program within that group?

What does ERAS say the match rate would be for DO ranking 8 ER programs? Are there any statistics?

Can you go for a "2nd look" at a couple of the ER programs, perhaps your #1 or 2 and then maybe the #3 or #4 that you think you might have a better chance to match at?

I also think some of the things you mention about the DO program sound like red flags. Are you sure you want to be a "guinea pig" in this new program. Having good trauma experience is important for an ER resident, because it's what separates you (ER docs) from the rest of us (folks like fp and IM docs who sometimes work in ER's). I know that trauma, and also lacerations and a few other things, are what I always have to get help on. For me it's Ok because our ER is lower acuity and also we are expected to consult surgery a lot for those types of problems (as the ER is staffed with mostly IM docs). For YOU it would not be OK to not be experienced with what to do with those trauma cases. Similarly, pediatric training is important in much the same way...the very little ones are not just little adults and there can be different principles involved in treating them. You aren't sure how this new residency is doing with arranging those rotations, so why take a chance? You shouldn't let the fact that they are recruiting you flatter you too much into taking the spot, unless you are sure the training will be good...the program is just looking out for #1 because it seems they know you are a good applicant. You need to look out for yourself also. But that's just my point of view.
Thanks everyone for all the advice, this is such a touch decision!

I went on 14 interviews total (MD and DO). I would probably rank the DO program 7th or 8th overall. I guess re-reading this I answered my own question and will most likely enter the NRMP match.

I'm not sure where to find the statistics for DO students and # of programs ranking, if anyone knows I'd be interested in checking it out. I searched through the 2008 NRMP match stats www.nrmp.org/data/ , but couldn't find what I was looking for (or missed it).

I would be happy training at 8 allo programs (the ones I plan on ranking), and once I make my list I plan on contacting my top programs to express my interest. I just can't wait for all this to be over! :)