DO Match Today! Good luck everyone

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EvoDevo

Forging a Different Path
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to wish everyone the best. May each and every one of y'all get the residency spot of your dreams. :)

:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I already got in my top spot! I was very surprised to check my e-mail this morning and get the results of my match. I didn't expect it until noon, then I realized yestarday it was noon EST so I thought 9am here then I get it before then!

Someone emailed and they actually were planning on sending an email out at 10am ET. I think maybe the noon time was for posting it on the internet, but not sure.

At any rate, congrats! I was fortunate to get my top choice for internship, but I will have my work cut out for me for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
melancholy said:
Someone emailed and they actually were planning on sending an email out at 10am ET. I think maybe the noon time was for posting it on the internet, but not sure.

At any rate, congrats! I was fortunate to get my top choice for internship, but I will have my work cut out for me for sure.

got my results 930 est, to my first choice, my hubby and i are moving to chicago.

where's everyone else going?

EvoDevo said:
Just wanted to wish everyone the best. May each and every one of y'all get the residency spot of your dreams. :)

:thumbup:
Same here! :luck: I hope all of you matched at your top choices!! :hardy:

Don't forget to let us know where you end up!! :D

Congratulations to all who matched!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

I hope to join you guys next month!!! The wait is KILLING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats again guys!!!!!! Great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck to all of you guys and gals - hope you matched well! I have some MS4 friends that were worried as heck about this.

Good luck to everyone!! Keep your heads up no matter what happens. :thumbup:

Congratulations Class of 2006 on your matches, and good luck to the March 13th matches!

I got my result 8:33am EST, and it was my first (and only) osteopathic choice. I am so happy! And I get to stay in New York!

Can't wait to see where everyone else matches!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to all, and GOOD-LUCk to all waiting for the Allopathic match.
Thank God I matched my First Choice. I'm heading to Pennsylvania.

Dr. MAXY said:

Congrats, man. You deserve it. I dont think Ive seen you in like a year though. Are you still keeping it real?

Idiopathic said:
Congrats, man. You deserve it. I dont think Ive seen you in like a year though. Are you still keeping it real?

Yah Man, I'm keeping it REAL like the Ghanaian Bob-sled team.

DrMom said:
Congrats! :)

I haven't seen you in forever!
I know...very very long time. CONGRATS Dr. MOM.

DrMom said:
to you, too!

What specialty did you match to?
Orthopedic Surgery

Anyone not match surgery that wanted to?

disque71 said:
Anyone not match surgery that wanted to?

I don't think it was a real competitive year for surgery. I matched my second choice and got interviews to all twenty programs to which I applied. Additionally, I wouldn't consider myself all that strong of an applicant.....good LORs, but who doesn't?, and average numbers.

Does anyone else think it's sad that out of 2200+ spots, only about 1100 got filled? That's like 45% didn't get filled!

glorytaker said:
Does anyone else think it's sad that out of 2200+ spots, only about 1100 got filled? That's like 45% didn't get filled!

Okay, here are some of my thoughts on this.

Out of 2206 positions, 1115 are traditional rotating internships (of which only 500 filled) and 375 are FM (of which only 185 filled). Seems that they're offering a lot of spots in areas that fewer people are interested in.

Add to that the fact that some DO specialties add 1 year to the residency to compensate for the Osteo internship. Many people choose to forgo the traditional internship to get done with training a year earlier.

Then add in the fact that there are large areas of the country with few if any Osteo residencies, so if you want to be in various areas of the country you're only going to be left with MD programs.

Lots of issues involved here, some more easily remedied than others, although I don't think that any of these are *really* going to be simple to address or change. It isn't simple to start new residencies (either to expand to new parts of the country or to add new specialty positions).

glorytaker said:
Yeah it's sad, but don't worry. The people who don't match allopathic will be running back for some of these spots later.

DrMom said:
Lots of issues involved here, some more easily remedied than others, although I don't think that any of these are *really* going to be simple to address or change. It isn't simple to start new residencies (either to expand to new parts of the country or to add new specialty positions).

Oh, now, Dr. Mom, I don't know that it's anything a million-dollar ad campaign won't fix. What we REALLY need is some more morale-boosting posters, brochures, pins, and conventions. I don't know about you guys, but I'm sure a really well-designed t-shirt might just change MY mind....

In the meantime, congrats to all of you recent matchers!

melancholy said:
Yeah it's sad, but don't worry. The people who don't match allopathic will be running back for some of these spots later.
People really do an AOA scramle after the AMA match, even though it's like a month later? I didn't think it would work but seeing as there's 1000 open spots, they're not all going to be gone a month later. One of my classmates is doing something like this, they're Plan B if they don't match to AMA is do scramble into an AOA residency.

Am i right in thinking that students get paid during the traditional rotating internship? If so, how much?

DarkWingDuck said:
Am i right in thinking that students get paid during the traditional rotating internship? If so, how much?

same as pretty much any other PGY-1 spot

Idiopathic said:
apparently our class at osu was less than 50% AOA match this year.
Are you kidding me? My class only matched 35% to AOA. Then I saw Michigan State and they almost got 90%!

glorytaker said:
Are you kidding me? My class only matched 35% to AOA. Then I saw Michigan State and they almost got 90%!
I thought some of the schools that had higher match participation rates was partially due to the fact that they have associated hospitals that are relatively closeby where many of their graduates get osteopathic residencies in numerous specialties i.e. PCOM, MSUCOM, NYCOM, etc. Some of these are also in fairly strong osteopathic states.

Note that on the west coast, many of us do not have as many nearby osteopathic programs, esp. in various specialties and so it becomes more attractive to many to apply to nearby allopathic programs rather than travel far away for osteopathic ones.

Even a specialty like PM&R which is EASILY one of the most DO-friendly, there are only about two or three AOA-approved residencies and they are no farther west than Michigan. What a shame.

glorytaker said:

Michigan has the strongest requirements for the AOA rotating internship...ie if you don't do an already approved AOA internship you can't even train in the state much less practice there. The other 4 states that require rotating internships will let you finish your training without the rotating internship. This means you have a couple of years to get it approved or you have to practice in another state. That also might play into it. I think the availability of LOCAL internships for a state school (long time residents) also supports the higher match numbers.

PS
where do you guys find those numbers - i would love to see what % from AZCOM matched AOA

Sugar72 said:
where do you guys find those numbers - i would love to see what % from AZCOM matched AOA

If you go back to the piecemeal AOA match website and click on results, on the bottom right-hand part you can see stats by school or by specialty.

melancholy said:
If you go back to the piecemeal AOA match website and click on results, on the bottom right-hand part you can see stats by school or by specialty.

thanks! Very interesting. I was a little surprised the number was as high as it was for my class - about 34% participating. I am a little jealous of all of you who know where you are going next! I still have 28d15h53m until I know where i matched (assuming I match!)

Idiopathic said:
apparently our class at osu was less than 50% AOA match this year.

Not the case. Of the 92 in our class, only 40 didn't participate in the AOA match. That includes the 4 who matched via the military. Of the 52 of use who participated in the AOA match, only 3 didn't match.

What are the top residencies (in terms of numbers) that D.Os go into???

DrMom said:
Not the case. Of the 92 in our class, only 40 didn't participate in the AOA match. That includes the 4 who matched via the military. Of the 52 of use who participated in the AOA match, only 3 didn't match.

never mind, i was told 41 went through the match when it was apparently 41 didnt go through it.

glorytaker said:

Also, if you match a DO internship (as is an absolute requirement in MI), then you are 'AOA-matched' even if doing an ACGME residency.

Congrats everybody! Post-match time is the best time in the world!

And then, internship starts... :scared:

DOtobe said:
Congrats everybody! Post-match time is the best time in the world!

And then, internship starts... :scared:

Don't worry, it's not that bad. How many matched in Rads out there?

vmgopal said:
What are the top residencies (in terms of numbers) that D.Os go into???
I think Family Med.....you might wanna check the AOA website to make sure.

glorytaker said:
I already got in my top spot! I was very surprised to check my e-mail this morning and get the results of my match. I didn't expect it until noon, then I realized yestarday it was noon EST so I thought 9am here then I get it before then!

Hey Glory

What did you match in? I think you're a TUCOM 2006 right? I matched into Anesthesia at Doctor's Hospital in Columbus, Ohio. :thumbup: :cool:

Congrats to you all... You are proof there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I had no idea they emailed you the results. I thought they gave out envelops at your school in a big group type setting.. Email does seem a bit anticlamatic.

Anyway, enjoy.. you all have earned the title DOCTOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup: