DO Matching in SFMatch - Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sether52do

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an MS1 at a DO school and hope to graduate in the top 10% of my class and get above average COMLEX scores. I'm also planning on doing research this summer and rotating away at some ophtho programs. My question is this: Do most programs give a ripping fart about COMLEX scores? I'm not asking to get into top 10 programs, but, would I have a chance at mid-tier programs if I didn't take USMLE? Thanks for any advice you pros on this board have.

~S

Members don't see this ad.

sether52do said:
I'm an MS1 at a DO school and hope to graduate in the top 10% of my class and get above average COMLEX scores. I'm also planning on doing research this summer and rotating away at some ophtho programs. My question is this: Do most programs give a ripping fart about COMLEX scores? I'm not asking to get into top 10 programs, but, would I have a chance at mid-tier programs if I didn't take USMLE? Thanks for any advice you pros on this board have.

~S

Since most other applicants will have taken the USMLE, you'll need to take the same test they do. Otherwise your test scores, which are used to stack you up against other applicants, won't be applicable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sledge2005 said:
Since most other applicants will have taken the USMLE, you'll need to take the same test they do. Otherwise your test scores, which are used to stack you up against other applicants, won't be applicable.

It is kind of funny they can't figure out some way to convert the scores or just have everyone take the same test.

If you want to play in someone elses sand box you gotta play by their rules. Dont argue with it just accepct it. Besides are you really going to bitch about 375 bucks when you are going to be more then a 100K in the hole at the minium.

If you're considering anything even remotely competitive (which you clearly are), then you need to take the USMLE or only apply to osteopathic programs..