DO/MBA, DO/MPH programs Vs. Boards/Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nevinleiby

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else considering DO/Mx programs?

I'm really interested in a DO/MBA or maybe a DO/MPH, but I'm a little concerned about doing well and obtaining a good residency.

Lately I've been considering just focusing on my DO first and then pursuing something else after I'm established. Unfortunately, I'll be 30 when I start this summer....:(

Members don't see this ad.

I can't comment much on this since I'm not really interested in it. But recently in talking to a friend he brought up some good points that you save a TON of money by doing them simultaneously. I'm not sure how much benefit it would be in getting a good residency or not nor how difficult it would be to do both at the same time.

Here is the post....

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7676710&postcount=380

I can't comment much on this since I'm not really interested in it. But recently in talking to a friend he brought up some good points that you save a TON of money by doing them simultaneously. I'm not sure how much benefit it would be in getting a good residency or not nor how difficult it would be to do both at the same time.

Here is the post....

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7676710&postcount=380

Yes - that was an excellent post :thumbup: and that's exactly why NSU was so appealing!!

BTW - I've been compiling a 2009 CIB summary of schools that have DO/X programs (and direct link) if anyone is interested.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmmm I know Nova also offers a 6 year DO/ DMD program. Although I don't know what this entails or what opportunities it would lead to...

Very cool list though:thumbup:

I am definitely considering a DO/MPH program although a DO/MBA program could be a good idea too. That is one of the main reasons I am interested in Nova. Seriously it seems hard to turn down a free MPH degree. It could open a lot of doors for you in the future. I have also heard that because most of Nova's MPH classes are online it is much easier to deal with both med school and your MPH classes.

Hmmmm I know Nova also offers a 6 year DO/ DMD program. Although I don't know what this entails or what opportunities it would lead to...

Oral & maxillofacial surgery. At least, that's what the MD/DMD's I know of do. Not sure if there's a big payoff to doing this, but google spit out a cosmetic surgeon specializing in chin surgeries.

To address the original topic, I've considered finishing my MPH at some point--I'll finish a "graduate certificate in public health" from UNECOM this summer--but I really lost interest once we hit management theory, and I'm not sure I'd want to do more of that. The MPH may well open some doors for you if you want to do academic work. Otherwise, people stop reading after the DO/MD letters. Besides, you can do an MPH as an option in many residencies if you decide you want to do it later.

MBA may be a different matter, though. I wouldn't know.

Last edited:
Oral & maxillofacial surgery. At least, that's what the MD/DMD's I know of do. Not sure if there's a big payoff to doing this, but google spit out a cosmetic surgeon specializing in chin surgeries.

To address the original topic, I've considered finishing my MPH at some point--I'll finish a "graduate certificate in public health" from UNECOM this summer--but I really lost interest once we hit management theory, and I'm not sure I'd want to do more of that. The MPH may well open some doors for you if you want to do academic work. Otherwise, people stop reading after the DO/MD letters. Besides, you can do an MPH as an option in many residencies if you decide you want to do it later.

MBA may be a different matter, though. I wouldn't know.

One of the NSU students claimed that this NSU grad did a DO/DMD and ran family practice on 3 days of the week and a dentist's office on the other 2-3 days of the week. He would have a PA and a dental tech cover for him when he was working in the other hospital/part of the building.

Granted that's a huge income opportunity, but I can't imagine the liability and guilt of not staying current in the appropriate fields :eek:

One of the NSU students claimed that this NSU grad did a DO/DMD and ran family practice on 3 days of the week and a dentist's office on the other 2-3 days of the week. He would have a PA and a dental tech cover for him when he was working in the other hospital/part of the building.

Granted that's a huge income opportunity, but I can't imagine the liability and guilt of not staying current in the appropriate fields :eek:

If they're right, that guy is insane. I don't know what else to say about it, but... wow. Or just :eek:

Forgot to mention, there's an M.D./M.P.H. who's a 3rd year surgical resident at the hospital I work at. He's an awesome guy, very nice, and from what I hear, he's one of the better residents we have.

When I was thinking about doing an M.P.H., I asked him how the degree has helped him. He shrugged, thought for a while, and said, "Well, when I write research papers, the statistics I learned in Epidemiology help a lot."

To which I said, "That's all?"

He shrugged again. "Yeah, pretty much."

I guess my point is, the utility depends on what you end up doing. Surgeons probably don't need an MPH, although Atul Gawande rules.

I'd love to do DO/MBA, but the thing about an MBA is that it matters more where you got it opposed to the fact that you have it. the DO/DMD thing seems a little rare for Oral & Maxo because what most people do to get that is get the DDS/DMD then enter a 6 year program where they earn an MD while doing the oral surg/maxo residency. They make good money but it's an insane amount of work/time. I don't know the point of getting a DO/DMD to not to do oral/maxo ... that guy who does half FM half general dentistry seems like he's asking for trouble. It would be pretty nice to combine the two salaries, but just seems like lawsuits, headaches, and overhead would kill ya.

I am definitely considering a DO/MPH program although a DO/MBA program could be a good idea too. That is one of the main reasons I am interested in Nova. Seriously it seems hard to turn down a free MPH degree. It could open a lot of doors for you in the future. I have also heard that because most of Nova's MPH classes are online it is much easier to deal with both med school and your MPH classes.

you can also complete a Preventive Medicine residency, in which case you will get your MPH during residncy, as opposed to during med school. Its also free (at most places).

the DO/DMD thing seems a little rare for Oral & Maxo because what most people do to get that is get the DDS/DMD then enter a 6 year program where they earn an MD while doing the oral surg/maxo residency. They make good money but it's an insane amount of work/time. I don't know the point of getting a DO/DMD to not to do oral/maxo ... that guy who does half FM half general dentistry seems like he's asking for trouble. It would be pretty nice to combine the two salaries, but just seems like lawsuits, headaches, and overhead would kill ya.

I stand corrected. I'd heard the deal about becoming a dentist first, and then getting the MD during residency. When I looked before, I found this 5 year MD/DDS program at Case Western, and thought I must have been wrong: http://casemed.case.edu/admissions/programs/combined_degrees.cfm?program_id=12

From their site:
The joint degree DMD, MD Program of the Case Western Reserve University School of Dental Medicine and School of Medicine is poised as an innovative approach to satisfy the need for the creation of a cadre of uniquely trained individuals who will integrate aspects of primary care into the practice of general dentistry.

This just seems idiotic. I knew we had a shortage of primary care doctors... but primary care dentists? Really? I don't see the point. This seems like a way a person would have a back-up plan to make money after the idealism wears off from their family practice training.

And ryserr, there are Emergency Medicine residencies where you can do a fellowship in EMS, and these often involve earning an MPH. There's even an option with the FM residency in my hometown to earn an MPH. The option is out there for those who want it, definitely.

[/INDENT]This just seems idiotic. I knew we had a shortage of primary care doctors... but primary care dentists? Really? I don't see the point. This seems like a way a person would have a back-up plan to make money after the idealism wears off from their family practice training.

It is really designed for places that don't have a dentist or a doctor. In a location such as that, you will be the complete healthcare provider. It is stupid if you intend to work in an area that has multiple dentists and doctors but there are plenty of regions in the country that have neither. That is what the NSU program intends, but it is also good if you are interested in an OMFS residency or perhaps ENT.

I've talked to a couple of residents and program directors and many of them say they aren't really impressed with the MPH/MBA stuff. Many just view it as extra letters after the name and as a skillset that probably won't contribute to the standard medical training environment. An MBA is useful but it is debatable how useful. Most of the doctors I know that have it, got it more for the educational experience and to manage their practice more efficiently. The physicians I spoke with said that it never really helped much with getting a job. Frankly, if you have trouble finding a job as a physician then you have bigger issues. I am considering the MSBI at Nova, but I don't get a discount on it and it is to correlate with my goals. I will eventually do an evening MBA program somewhere. (Unlike a medical school, it is somewhat important to go to a top tier MBA program). I will probably do this because I'd like to work with usability and possibly do some consulting in the future since I have a particular interest in medical technology and integration as well as the standard medical practice.

It is really designed for places that don't have a dentist or a doctor. In a location such as that, you will be the complete healthcare provider. It is stupid if you intend to work in an area that has multiple dentists and doctors but there are plenty of regions in the country that have neither. That is what the NSU program intends, but it is also good if you are interested in an OMFS residency or perhaps ENT.

I've talked to a couple of residents and program directors and many of them say they aren't really impressed with the MPH/MBA stuff. Many just view it as extra letters after the name and as a skillset that probably won't contribute to the standard medical training environment. An MBA is useful but it is debatable how useful. Most of the doctors I know that have it, got it more for the educational experience and to manage their practice more efficiently. The physicians I spoke with said that it never really helped much with getting a job. Frankly, if you have trouble finding a job as a physician then you have bigger issues. I am considering the MSBI at Nova, but I don't get a discount on it and it is to correlate with my goals. I will eventually do an evening MBA program somewhere. (Unlike a medical school, it is somewhat important to go to a top tier MBA program). I will probably do this because I'd like to work with usability and possibly do some consulting in the future since I have a particular interest in medical technology and integration as well as the standard medical practice.

Frick. Frick. Frick.

Terminal lost my post even though I was logged in.

Summary:
Property management experience + accounting + legal + infotech/programming/networking ability and my creativity/daring attitude ==> (time passes and I become an old fart sick of walking around the hospital) ==> development, dept admin, practice management

From what I've seen, DO schools have 5-year DO/MPH programs (UMDNJ-SOM, PCOM). Does anyone know if there is a 4-year DO/MPH program. I mean.. Tulane has a 4-year MD/MPH..

I will complete my DO/MPH degree in 4 at DMU.

From what I've seen, DO schools have 5-year DO/MPH programs (UMDNJ-SOM, PCOM). Does anyone know if there is a 4-year DO/MPH program. I mean.. Tulane has a 4-year MD/MPH..

I have heard that most people finish Nova's DO/MPH program in 4 years. You take the classes along with your DO classes. The MPH classes are mostly online.