DO/MBA Program at UHS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FarmGirl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me information on this program? I've read what the UHS website has to say about it, but I was wanting more personal experience-type information. Thanks for your help. :)

Members don't see this ad.

It?s an over-priced business degree that cuts into a majority of your "free" summer after your first year and it slightly holds you back from a month of your rotations in the third year. I personally would wait and do it at a later time if I felt compelled to do so.

Actually, it is a good program. It takes a lot of work, and it is expensive. On the otherhand, starting with the graduating class of 2006, you will be in Kansas City for the whole third year, without the worry of matching. and you won't be a month behind. I'm in 2004 and we aren't a month behind either. I don't know where he got that info. We don't schedule our vacation it is given to us in either nov. or aug. of third year. You won't even have that restriction. Your rotations will be just like everyone else's. The best perk is that it is an MBA in Health Care. You do talk about other industries, but it always comes back to Health Care. Coding, billing, business plans, best practices, and marketing strategies are only a few of the things involved in the MBA, not to mention Managed care contract negotiations and Health care law.
It is not easy, but it will pay itself off. PD's that I have talked to said that getting a second degree during med school would be a certain plus in residency decisions (that was the main reason I did it.)

Members don't see this ad :)
I get the impression that they are still working about the kninks. Is that a fair assessment? Thanks for your replys:)

i'm interested in doing the dual degree as well..i was wondering if it would help get an acceptance into the school or affect my chances in anyway, if i tell them i want to do the dual DO/MBA degree. thanks

I doubt it will effect your chances to get in, but it won't hurt you either. It may give you something to talk about in the interview. The kinks are still being worked out. By the time you all get there it will be set up nicely. It was a pain to have to take vacation in the third year, but you won't have to worry about that. The main problems were administrative, that is getting Rockhurst and UHS on the same page. I think that they are there now. Best of luck.