DO/MBA question for QuinnNSU and Ethan Wagner

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

normalforce

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Honest opinion, with all else equal, do you think going through a 4-year DO/MBA Program (MBA in Health Care Leadership) will be useful when applying to ER residencies? (ie. will the program director think that it is an asset?)

Thank you.

Normalforce

Members don't see this ad.

All things being equal, I'm sure it would. If you had the exact same applicant, equal board scores, etc... I'm sure it would make you more competitive.

BUT! Don't do the MBA program JUST to be a more competitive applicant. Only do it if you are COMPLETELY interested in it, as an adjunct to your medical knowledge, and if you plan to pursue an interest in that field. Don't EVER use it as a CV padder.

Its just like anyone with extra experience... it might set you apart from the rest of the applicants, but dont' think it would put you over the top.

Q, DO

True...if you are looking at it for a long term goal (ie directorship of a group) it is obvious the MBA is helpful.
The MBA will be seen as a likely sign of maturity, but not as an asset to Emergency medicine in general...in fact if you competed against an applicant with a previous year in a surgical non-categorical spot, the surgeon will likely get the spot.
In other words, do it for you and make sure the reasons are valid...do not do it ONLY to get a more competative spot.

Best of luck.

I'll second that it would be an advantage, though a small one, when applying for residency. It's clearly not worth it if all you're trying to do is improve your match chances.

I'm not attending at an EM program, but during my senior year I had some chief resident duties which included interviewing and evaluating incoming applicants. Judging from that limited participation, an MBA would have been an "interesting, but not a deal-maker" kind of feature on an application. It might catch an eye on initial review, but unless there was some real world experience or ambition behind it, it would eventually be a non-issue. Would it improve your chances for getting an interview? At my program, I'd say it would be a very qualified maybe. Again, unless you had a good reason and or experience for that extra degree, then at the interview it would either be discounted completely or even thought of as flakey (for getting a degree for no good reason) by some of the less forgiving faculty members. We didn't have quite that situation come up, but some similar things on applications that left us scratching our heads. Being labeled "flakey" would decrease your chances of interviewing, immediately put you way down on the rank link if interviewed, or even put you off it completely.

So if you have a good reason to want the MBA, then by all means do so. If you're just CV-padding, don't bother.