Do Med Schools and residencies usually keep people within their previous school ranges?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

r2med

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Someone told me that residencies "usually" keep people within their med school's range - for example mid-tier to mid-tier, top to top etc.

I know there are exceptions, but overall is this real?

Members don't see this ad.

Try googling some of the big name residencies and look at their current roster! Here's the intern class for Hopkins IM for example, there's just as many state and mid tier grads. It's true that the match lists from top-ranking med schools tend to be insanely impressive with a lot of trading people back and forth between big names. But there's also a lot of recruitment from everywhere else. Exceptional folks are all over.

Reactions: 4 users
Try googling some of the big name residencies and look at their current roster! Here's the intern class for Hopkins IM for example, there's just as many state and mid tier grads. It's true that the match lists from top-ranking med schools tend to be insanely impressive with a lot of trading people back and forth between big names. But there's also a lot of recruitment from everywhere else. Exceptional folks are all over.
Overall, would you say about 15-20% of top-tier residencies are from non-top-tier med schools? Or higher? Or lower?

Members don't see this ad :)
Overall, would you say about 15-20% of top-tier residencies are from non-top-tier med schools? Or higher? Or lower?
more than that, like closer to 1/3 to 1/2

but don't take my word for it - try looking at rosters for Big 4 IM or other competitive programs!

Reactions: 1 user
more than that, like closer to 1/3 to 1/2

but don't take my word for it - try looking at rosters for Big 4 IM or other competitive programs!
I will review stats from different schools, but is this 1/3rd to half range good enough estimate for rarer specialties and surgical specialties as well?

I will review stats from different schools, but is this 1/3rd to half range good enough estimate for rarer specialties and surgical specialties as well?
The Charting Outcomes document shows data on the percentage of matched students from the "top 40" NIH schools.

In some competitive fields like derm there is a slight skew towards the top 40, while in others like ortho there is no difference between them. Looking at specific programs will be tougher to gauge because often theres only a handful of spots per year.