Do med schools care about your major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

btpayne13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Plain and simple, do med schools care what you majored in as long as you finished the required classes and took the MCAT? Would they prefer someone who majored in biochemistry over someone who majored in religion or theater?

Members don't see this ad.

this has been discussed at least a thousand times.

it comes down to what you do that stands out, ie they would take the biochem major that published his protein research over a mediocre theater major, or the theater major who worked on broadway over the mediocre biochem major.

that being said, it wouldn't surprise me if having an unusual major with good grades in core science classes puts you ahead. half or more of med school classes are well-to-do kids who chugged along the premed game from the start of college. it's refreshing to see somebody who tried something different and it's unique to be good at both hardcore science and something completely unrelated in the humanities.

Members don't see this ad :)
Minimally so. There is some evidence humanities, social/bx science & physical science majors do slightly better and health science majors do much worse than do bio-type majors (i.e., biochem, bio, etc.). Google the AMCAS stats...

this has been discussed at least a thousand times.

it comes down to what you do that stands out, ie they would take the biochem major that published his protein research over a mediocre theater major, or the theater major who worked on broadway over the mediocre biochem major.

that being said, it wouldn't surprise me if having an unusual major with good grades in core science classes puts you ahead. half or more of med school classes are well-to-do kids who chugged along the premed game from the start of college. it's refreshing to see somebody who tried something different and it's unique to be good at both hardcore science and something completely unrelated in the humanities.
:thumbup::thumbup:

No, not officially. It just happens that the majority of the pre-med students are interested in the sciences in the first place, so they major in biology, chemistry, etc. And those majors include medical school prereqs.