Do med schools give scholarships?

panvard92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much can a person usually pay off w/ scholarships?

Also, what's the avg. amt of financial aid med students get? (I'm talking about the normal middle class person, w/out any help of parents)

Members don't see this ad.

How much can a person usually pay off w/ scholarships?

Also, what's the avg. amt of financial aid med students get? (I'm talking about the normal middle class person, w/out any help of parents)

depends on how much your parents are capable of paying (whether they are willing to or not).

Financial aid is dependent on your parents contribution. However you can take out the full amount of loans needed to cover tuition and living expenses.

This is basic med school financial aid 101 (med students correct me if I'm wrong):

there are a few ways to pay for med school (total cost of attendance, which is tuition + expenses, ranges between 30ish thousand and 80ish thousand, I think):

1) Merit scholarships: extremely rare, especially the full tuition or full cost of attendance ones. However, they do exist, and some schools have more of these than others. Definitely not something to count on, though. As one financial aid guy put it "getting a merit scholarship is like winning the lottery".

2) Outside scholarships: the most common ones are the military scholarship (full ride, but it requires you to serve in military medicine for a number of years after you graduate), one that requires you to work in rural or underserved areas in primary care after you graduate (I forget what that's called, some schools have their own rural medicine primary care programs that give you school-based money, too), and one that's for first-generation immigrants to the US that's very very competitive. As far as I know the military one and the rural medicine/primary care one are not very competitive, but they do require quite a commitment. Note: there might be more scholarships that I don't know about, but these are the most popular/nationwide ones.

3) Need-based grants: these come straight from the school. Now, when the time comes to apply for financial aid, you fill out FAFSA and probably some other form the school wants you to fill out, which includes your parental information as well as your own. Parental info IS taken into account for need-based stuff, regardless of whether they'll support you or not. Sucks, but that's how it is. Anyways, how much need-based money you get depends on the school's individual income cutoffs. So, the more generous schools might give you need money based on less need (meaning with your parents making more money) than others.

4) Loans, loans, loans: this is how most people pay for their med school education, at least in part. Basically speaking, the school will take its projected cost of attendance (e.g. 70,000, made up of 50,000 tuition, 20,000 cost of living), subtract either need-based grants or merit-based scholarships or outside scholarships like the military one, and then give you the rest in federal loans. If you don't demonstrate enough need for their calculations (if your parents make decent money, usually, or if you have good savings), and you didn't take any scholarships, you can have the whole cost of attendance in loans, every year.

And that's the basics of med school financial aid!

Members don't see this ad :)
:eek:

Well, kinda saw it coming. But the thought of getting a loan of nearly $300K is just plain scary.....

2) Outside scholarships: the most common ones are the military scholarship (full ride, but it requires you to serve in military medicine for a number of years after you graduate), one that requires you to work in rural or underserved areas in primary care after you graduate (I forget what that's called, some schools have their own rural medicine primary care programs that give you school-based money, too), and one that's for first-generation immigrants to the US that's very very competitive. As far as I know the military one and the rural medicine/primary care one are not very competitive, but they do require quite a commitment. Note: there might be more scholarships that I don't know about, but these are the most popular/nationwide ones.

Do you mean the National Health Service Corps?:thumbup:

Financial aid for most graduate programs, and definitely for medicine, is not dependent on parents or your income. Everyone is allowed to take the same amount depending on a budget that is determined by your school. Merit scholarships generally do not exist. There are several fellowship and combined degree programs that allow for part or all of your tuition to be payed. The majority of scholarship money, however, is in the armed forces and underserved commitment scholarships. Of course, in both cases there is some form of payback that is required.
In general, most people simply take out loans and pay them back on a similar timeline to paying a mortgage on a house. Its a lot of money but really not as scary as it seems. The loans are mostly federal and have very low interest rates.

Three main categories:
-Loans (85%)
-Rich parents (10%)
-Military (5%)

Scholarships that amount to a significant portion of your total costs are quite rare, but schools with huge endowments are more likely to provide them.

Just a curious question on this topic. I remember reading somewhere about medical schools that provide full tuition scholarships for all of the students they accept. Which schools were those? And would the students not still have to take out loans for cost of living expenses unless they were given a full cost of attendance scholarship?

Last edited:
Just a curious question on this topic. I remember reading somewhere about medical schools that provide full tuition scholarships for all of the students they accept. Which schools were those? And would the students not still have to take out loans for cost of living expenses unless they were given a full cost of attendance scholarship?

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/107861.php

so asides from getting into med school (which, I realize, is the important part)...there is no other advantage to a good MCAT score or UG GPA?

so asides from getting into med school (which, I realize, is the important part)...there is no other advantage to a good MCAT score or UG GPA?

"good" is a relative term. It is POSSIBLE that with stellar scores (like say a 3.9 or 4.0 and a 41 mcat) and stellar extracurriculars (excellence in research, prestigious fellowships, extreme leadership experience, stuff like that, that very few people really have) you might get a merit scholarship at the schools that tend to give out a lot of money. It's still a crapshoot, but it's possible. Also, the higher-ranked, big-money research schools tend to have lower thresholds for giving out need-based money, so while it's not technically a merit scholarship, doing well enough to get into one of those schools might ultimately serve you well financially. Finally, if you live in a state with really competitive state schools (California comes to mind) you need to have stellar stats to have a shot at your state schools, which will almost always be cheaper than out of state med schools. So yeah, getting the best grades and best mcat scores makes financial sense too.

I put all my effort into getting an awesome GPA. I learned the material better in med school vs. my peers. The GPA will help you rock the USMLE. I was stupid and went to a state school, on academic scholarships. My parents didn't help me, I should have just taken out loans and went to a prestigious school.
If you're not in a prestigious school, I found, after 3 tries, the MCAT score is more important. Also, have a rare hobby that grabs attention will help you.

U can read my profile description. I highly discourage you from applying to med school. It's caused me 15 years of heartache and waste of life.