DO med schools know how MANY schools you apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drareg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i tried doing a search but didnt find anything. do med schools know and if they do, is it bad?

Members don't see this ad.

It's amazing that you couldn't find an answer since it's posted in so many threads, it's ridiculous. I actually read it in a front page thread just this evening.

Regardless, the answer is no (a systemwide error allowed schools to see it back in 2000, but not since then). The only caveat is that after May 15, schools can see which acceptances you're holding.

Some schools will ask you to list them in your secondary, but they generally don't care and are aware that many applicants apply to lots of schools to increase their chances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools will ask you to list them in your secondary, but they generally don't care and are aware that many applicants apply to lots of schools to increase their chances.
The only secondaries I've seen that come close to asking simply ask for you to attach your AMCAS application (read: Tulane). You can easily redact that information and remove those pages from your packet, however.

Also any schools that accept you can see other acceptances you have (I heard that that might be the case after March 15 but I'm not completely sure about that.)

i got asked in a couple interviews how many i applied to- i just said i applied broadly.

I think it's the rule of this game, the schools can't really blame the students for applying other schools.:cool:

i got asked in a couple interviews how many i applied to- i just said i applied broadly.
I think it's better than saying that you've only applied to that particular school--it's clearly a lie.

Seems more like a dodge than a lie. Why would they even ask that, though?
I was asked that too. My interviewer was obviously gauging my intention of going to the school. I said I liked American history (school's located in a historic city), he asked if all my schools were in historic cities; I said I liked the coasts and he asked if all my schools were in the coasts; I said I liked big cities and he asked if all my schools were in a big city. You get my point.