Do med schools look at half-time undergrads disfavorably?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

GretchenGold

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I completed 3 years of college 13 years ago. I am restarting university this year after a 13 year hiatus. If I take only 5-6 credit hours per semester, it will take me 3-1/2 years to graduate with my undergrad degree in chemistry. Will attending half time affect my ability to get accepted into med school?
 
What are you doing with your remaining time, watching tv and goofing off? 😉

It's been brought up before in this forum and what I've inferred from it is as long as you can show you can handle a full course load (by taking classes part time and having other commitments), it's the end results (aka your GPA and classes) that matters. Most adcoms realize that as a non-trad you will have obligations that prevent you from taking classes full time (job, kids, etc) and will take that into consideration, though the ideal would still be to take classes full time. Maybe you can squeeze in a semester as a full time student somewhere?

Here's the most recent thread talking about it that I could find: link
 
I explained that I was working full time and have two kids, and I got accepted. I went full time originally and got an art degree, and part time for post bacc.