Very bad at math, am I only competitive for DO schools?

Started by csk2183
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

csk2183

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone, I plan on applying this 2027 cycle and need a little help figuring out whether it's worth it to apply to MD schools due to a low AMCAS science GPA.

I have a 3.45 cGPA, and a 3.35 AMCAS science GPA and a 3.76 AACOMAS science GPA.
The big discrepancy between the two is that I am REALLY bad at math and consistently got ~C's in most of my math classes. (Calc 2,3, discrete, linear, stats(C+/A)). This looks pretty bad in light of the fact that I have a computer science degree.

This trend largely carries over to my physics grades leading to B's compared to the ~A's I got in every other science class.

I take the MCAT on 6/13 and have been getting 505-508 over 3 AAMC FL's

extra info/bonus points(?)
5 years as a military medic with some good experience/quals
some computational bioinformatics research experience but no papers
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I ended up getting a 507 with a 126/126/126/129 distribution

I am LOR bound kinda since one of my professors ghosted.

As of now I have a letter from my ochem2 professor , my PI who is a professor of neurosurgery, and my medical director from the ER i used to work at while i was in the military.

My reach and #1 pick would be SUNY downstate but not quite sure if my chances are worthwhile

The other 2 schools im applying to are Touro harlem and NYIT

I'd be down to add more MD schools within NYC depending on thoughts of viability
 
I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
All 4 SUNYs
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
Methodist
Belmont
Alice Walton
Roseman
TCU
Creighton
Ponce (St. Louis)
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
For DO schools I suggest these:
Touro-NY
NYITCOM
UNECOM
LECOM
PCOM
WVSOM
CUSOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
AZCOM
CCOM
TUNCOM