Do med schools look down on applicants who completed an LVN program first (and worked as an LVN)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaDiDa111

Reaction score
Hi, I'm wanting to apply to medical school in the future but first I have to apply to and complete undergrad school. Most of the undergrad schools are having me apply as a transfer student, even though the schools I've been to don't have credits that are transferrable. So they want to see a list of any post-high school education even if it has nothing to do with the degree I'm seeking. But before I start undergrad school, I want to study 1 year to become an LVN 1st, to have as a job when I'm not studying (during the summer, etc). Medical schools also require pre-med students to have experience working direct contact with patients.
When applying for medical schools, do they also want a list of every school you've gone to that has nothing to do with the requirements for medical school also? (Like I've gone to cosmetology school, gotten my CNA license, etc). Or will they only ask to see the undergraduate degree information (Bachelor degree in biology for example, and leave everything else off?). Do medical schools look down on you if you became an LVN 1st? Do they look down on a lot of career changes? I know I want to become a doctor before all this but I don't mind studying 1 year first to become an LVN.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm wanting to apply to medical school in the future but first I have to apply to and complete undergrad school. Most of the undergrad schools are having me apply as a transfer student, even though the schools I've been to don't have credits that are transferrable. So they want to see a list of any post-high school education even if it has nothing to do with the degree I'm seeking. But before I start undergrad school, I want to study 1 year to become an LVN 1st, to have as a job when I'm not studying (during the summer, etc). Medical schools also require pre-med students to have experience working direct contact with patients.
When applying for medical schools, do they also want a list of every school you've gone to that has nothing to do with the requirements for medical school also? (Like I've gone to cosmetology school, gotten my CNA license, etc). Or will they only ask to see the undergraduate degree information (Bachelor degree in biology for example, and leave everything else off?). Do medical schools look down on you if you became an LVN 1st? Do they look down on a lot of career changes? I know I want to become a doctor before all this but I don't mind studying 1 year first to become an LVN.
Wow. Your journey is definitely an interesting one! Med schools would only look favorably on any clinical jobs you may have. My personal opinion is you should do what makes you happy and not worry so much so early in your career. Heck you may change your mind in a few years. Do some shadowing, volunteer in a hospital, get good grades and enjoy life! One thing I have learned is it is more important to do what makes you happy and enjoy your life rather than constantly looking ahead and trying to please others.

Reactions: 1 user
No. Had a friend who was an LVN in my class. If anything it looks good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow. Your journey is definitely an interesting one! Med schools would only look favorably on any clinical jobs you may have.

This is not true. Lots of career changers in medicine and med schools in my experience look very favorably on people who haven't lived and breathed medicine all their life.

This is not true. Lots of career changers in medicine and med schools in my experience look very favorably on people who haven't lived and breathed medicine all their life.
How is it not true that med school like to see a clinical job experience... that doesn’t mean having a previous career is a bad thing just that they like to see that kind of experience.

How is it not true that med school like to see a clinical job experience... that doesn’t mean having a previous career is a bad thing just that they like to see that kind of experience.

I read it wrong. I thought you were saying that med schools look favorably on clinical jobs only.

I was an RN and it was seen favorably...