do med schools see your class average

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ericthamonkey

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok so I'm in this pretty easy program at my school, and I'm wondering if the med schools will factor this in their admission decision. For example, on my last exam, the class average was 84 (this was an especially high average though, usually its more around 75). I got 98, which looks good, but considering how easy the class is, it really isnt anything special. will the medical schools think the same thing?

Members don't see this ad.

ok so I'm in this pretty easy program at my school, and I'm wondering if the med schools will factor this in their admission decision. For example, on my last exam, the class average was 84 (this was an especially high average though, usually its more around 75). I got 98, which looks good, but considering how easy the class is, it really isnt anything special. will the medical schools think the same thing?

trololoolol. no they dont.

Members don't see this ad :)
lol was i too unclear?
Basically I want to know if the med schools will see your class average on your tanscript

No (unless your LORs reveal this information)

Before the rest of the goons chime in I'll give you a serious answer. If your school has a pre-med committee that provides a letter, they often include the average GPA/MCAT of applicants from your school or program (or at least your relative position amongst the cohort). I doubt they are as specific as particular major averages.

Another serious answer, your school may do that as well. My school will be including class average grades on transcripts starting next year I think.

Another serious answer, your school may do that as well. My school will be including class average grades on transcripts starting next year I think.

My university definitely includes our class avg, #of students the class, and the average grade, along with your own grade.

I got my transcript and I saw the class averages and thought they were my grades for a second, and almost had a heart attack.

Maybe things have changed, but when I applied schools didn't see my real transcript, just the stuff I inputed into amcas that was verified by them using my transcript. I don't recall a place where I could have put the class average, even if I had that info.

Maybe things have changed, but when I applied schools didn't see my real transcript, just the stuff I inputed into amcas that was verified by them using my transcript. I don't recall a place where I could have put the class average, even if I had that info.
This is the point.

Even if your school has the averages listed on your transcript, there's nowhere to input that information. AMCAS doesn't send your actual transcripts to medical schools. Med schools will require copies of your actual transcripts, but only once you've been accepted

You have to send your transcript to AMCAS. At least you do now, I dont know how it was before last cycle. They likely include the transcript in your primary in one form or another, but I am not sure exactly what that form is.

You have to send your transcript to AMCAS. At least you do now, I dont know how it was before last cycle. They likely include the transcript in your primary in one form or another, but I am not sure exactly what that form is.
You do send in your transcript, but they don't include it in the primary. They just use it to verify your grades

This is the point.

Even if your school has the averages listed on your transcript, there's nowhere to input that information. AMCAS doesn't send your actual transcripts to medical schools. Med schools will require copies of your actual transcripts, but only once you've been accepted

This is the case. But even then... some financial aid/scholarships might be determined by how well you performed compared to your peers.

alright well scholarships are the least of my worries, i just want to get in!
thanks everyone

I think mine said "dead average." I was pretty disappointed with that label. But still got in.

Among a sea of thousands of applicants to all of these schools, they focus in on the high yield part of the application.
MCAT, Science/Non Science GPA....and then everything else.

My university definitely includes our class avg, #of students the class, and the average grade, along with your own grade.

I got my transcript and I saw the class averages and thought they were my grades for a second, and almost had a heart attack.

you mind me asking where you did/do your undergrad?