Do med students study together or alone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flashcard

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do med students study together or alone? I know people generally like like to study in groups, but how often do you study in groups? Every day after class? Several times a week? How about the amount of time you spend studying alone? Obviously it varies from person to person, but would love to get a general idea.

Members don't see this ad.

I study mostly alone during the couple weeks before a test (usually in my apartment) for between 0 and 3 hrs a day (most times around an hr or 2 and sometimes nothing), and then when it comes to around a week before a test I usually decide to study in a group with usually the same people. I do this for two reasons...1 reason is that there are often times where I just can't wrap my head around something and it helps to have someone there who could explain it. The other reason is basically the exact opposite, when someone doesn't know something that I could help explain it becomes a win win situation because I can help my friend out all the while strengthening my understanding of what is being explained. The other minor reason is probably to keep my sanity while spending 12 hrs a day in one room studying (again it is only like this a from around a wk to wk and half before a test).

This is going to be extremely dependent on the person. I know people who do most of their study in groups and people who study purely on their own. Find what works best for YOU, because it isn't going to be what works best for any one of us.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't understand how people study in groups. It just slows me down because other people may be asking a question about something and I'm ready to go on to the next topic. I am not a med student yet but I do ALL of my studying alone. I lock myself in a room with nothing but my textbook, laptop, paper, a calculator, and some food and stay in there for a few hours. I guess it depends on how introverted/extroverted you are.

I don't understand how people study in groups. It just slows me down because other people may be asking a question about something and I'm ready to go on to the next topic. I am not a med student yet but I do ALL of my studying alone. I lock myself in a room with nothing but my textbook, laptop, paper, a calculator, and some food and stay in there for a few hours. I guess it depends on how introverted/extroverted you are.

Studying in a group tends to be more useful to me only after I've reviewed the material to a sufficient degree for my own purposes. The group dynamic can be helpful in both solidifying your knowledge (through teaching it to others) and pointing out weaknesses.

Alone. I know of a few people who meet every now and then for a group study one day during the weekend, but I don't find that very productive at all.

It worked in undergrad when there was infinitely less material, and it was coming at your at a snail's pace. Med school (at least in my experience) is not conducive to group study.

Alone for most of the time up to the exam then with 1-2 other people for 2-4 days before an exam- mainly to hammer out tough topics and do practice questions

I completely agree with this. However, I have always wanted to be able to study in a group of people because it gets really old doing everything by yourself... solitude can be overwhelming sometimes. And since I am studying nearly every moment that I am not sleeping or working, I spend most of my time by myself. At the same time, there is a big difference in being alone and being lonely. At any rate, any time that i try to work in a group, I end up getting frustrated due to the varying levels of understanding that tend to characterize each individual of the group. However, I do enjoy helping other students when I have time to spare i.e. towards the second half of a recitation or a lab..

Studying in a group tends to be more useful to me only after I've reviewed the material to a sufficient degree for my own purposes. The group dynamic can be helpful in both solidifying your knowledge (through teaching it to others) and pointing out weaknesses.

This is very good advice... I think I will definitely try this out for my next exam. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I enjoy studying with one other person. However we both study alone..just near each other if that make sense. I get too lonely and distracted alone. Then again, I'm not in med school yet. It helps for me to have someone to keep me focused.

I dislike studying in groups, I like studying in pairs though. I usually scope out a study buddy classmate a few weeks into any class I deem difficult enough to need a study buddy. That way if either of us have questions or needs clarification we can help each other out.

I think study buddies are great. However, the tricky part is finding one worth working with.

Going to have to go ahead and agree with Earl Grey.

Although in most instances, I study alone becuase the group thing can get really distracting and if the people are asking questions that you already know the answer to, then it is really useless for you and only consumes the little time that you do have.

It is great in the ideal sense, but making it work out practically is usually impossible because of all the extra factors that come into play.

I hate study groups. If I have questions, I'll seek someone out and ask, but I've found that a lot of times, the people I've had study groups with really just want to sit together and stress about what may or may not be on the exam. The best term for it is 'mental masturbation'.
I can't stand it!

Do med students study together or alone? I know people generally like like to study in groups, but how often do you study in groups? Every day after class? Several times a week? How about the amount of time you spend studying alone? Obviously it varies from person to person, but would love to get a general idea.

From what I hear, med students sleep together more than they study together :laugh:

I hate study groups. If I have questions, I'll seek someone out and ask, but I've found that a lot of times, the people I've had study groups with really just want to sit together and stress about what may or may not be on the exam. The best term for it is 'mental masturbation'.
I can't stand it!

I agree, and then we start bashing the professor/class.

i do both simultaneously