Do medical school applications ask about Rhodes/Marshall?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eliotite

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Kind of a niche question, but one of my friends told me that most medical school applications specifically ask you if you have won a Rhodes or Marshall scholarship. Is this true, and if so, where do they ask? On the primary, or just specific secondaries? I was fortunate to win one of these fellowships, and I am planning to apply to med school next cycle to matriculate after my time abroad, so was just curious. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Kind of a niche question, but one of my friends told me that most medical school applications specifically ask you if you have won a Rhodes or Marshall scholarship.
I don't know of a school that asks this specific question. Perhaps someone else does...

It's not a specific question on TMDSAS either.
However, when you apply and fill out your activities you will place that under academic honors and have the chance to say a few words.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on the school. It's worth noting that HYPS does keep track of people who receive these prestigious scholarships - Penn asks for national/ international recognition in their secondaries, Stanford lists the # of these scholars in their incoming class profile, etc. I would definitely highlight this in both your application and interview.

Depends on the school. It's worth noting that HYPS does keep track of people who receive these prestigious scholarships - Penn asks for national/ international recognition in their secondaries, Stanford lists the # of these scholars in their incoming class profile, etc. I would definitely highlight this in both your application and interview.
I agree that you can include it in a secondary IF it answers the question that is posed.
Mentioning it numerous times would be overdoing it.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree that you can include it in a secondary IF it answers the question that is posed.
Mentioning it numerous times would be overdoing it.
Agreed. The distinction definitely speaks for itself, so long as it's included somewhere in the application, there's no need to bring it up more than a few times.

There are some secondary apps that ask specifically about these prestigious scholarships, although you should obviously list it on your primary as well. Off the top of my head, Stanford and Mt. Sinai did and there were probably more.

There are some secondary apps that ask specifically about these prestigious scholarships, although you should obviously list it on your primary as well. Off the top of my head, Stanford and Mt. Sinai did and there were probably more.
Interesting. Do you know where on the secondary that Stanford asks for this? From online, I don't see a specific question about prestigious scholarships on Stanford's secondary prompts.

Interesting. Do you know where on the secondary that Stanford asks for this? From online, I don't see a specific question about prestigious scholarships on Stanford's secondary prompts.
The best place to put it is in your AMCAS activity list, and choose it as one of your 3 most meaningful activities so you can expand on it there.
That way all your schools will see what you wrote. Don't worry, they'll notice it.

Kind of a niche question, but one of my friends told me that most medical school applications specifically ask you if you have won a Rhodes or Marshall scholarship. Is this true, and if so, where do they ask? On the primary, or just specific secondaries? I was fortunate to win one of these fellowships, and I am planning to apply to med school next cycle to matriculate after my time abroad, so was just curious. Thanks in advance!
I'd list it as an Honor/Prize in W/A. Maybe there are schools that ask about internationally competitive scholarships, but I can't think of anyone who asks that in an application. I can stand corrected. The only reason the question would be asked is to anticipate whether you would be able to start medical school at the appropriate orientation time or to figure out if special accommodations for (in-person) interviews would be needed (back before the pandemic).