Do medical schools look down on community college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docgoals90

Reaction score
I just read someone say that community college looks bad because it makes it look like youre trying to avoid the difficulty of a four year institution. My immediate thought was that this sounds idiotic, especially given that money is a primary factor for most in attendance at CCs. But ill just ask the forum - is doing an associates at community college, then transfering to a bachelors program, a significant negative factor on med school applications? Assuming the bachelors is also a science based program.

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools do not allow CC credits. Most do, and as long as you perform well after transferring you should be fine. Going from a 4.0 at CC to a 3.0 at a 4 year is really bad.

Reactions: 1 user
When I was an undergrad (graduated in 2013), there were a sizable amount of people in the premed program who completed core classes at a CC and then switched for the last 2 years to complete BCPM courses. Not sure what ever came of them, but it seemed to be fairly normal. They would graduate with a degree from the private college but save a ton of money by taking approved core classes at the MUCH cheaper CC.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Echoing what other people have said: as long as you can show you can perform outside of that environment and you had reasons to choose CC over other universities (graduating early, freeing up time for projects, financial problems) it shouldn't be a problem.

e.g. I have a guy in my class at Sinai who got his undergrad from a CC then did a post-bac

Reactions: 1 users
Some schools do not allow CC credits. Most do, and as long as you perform well after transferring you should be fine. Going from a 4.0 at CC to a 3.0 at a 4 year is really bad.

Yeah I've read this. I should look into that for NY/NYC schools and any others I will apply for