Do medical schools look negatively upon reapplicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trippanzee

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently in a position where my application is not quite ready. I have a good GPA and good MCAT score but lack some things like good community service. I can post my full info later.

I am currently thinking about shoring up the holes in my app the best I can in the next 3 months, and then applying this cycle only to schools I would be really excited to go to. While this is happening, I will continue to build my app, knowing I am unlikely to get accepted as is. I really plan on applying more broadly that second cycle.

My question is this: Do medical schools look negatively upon reapplicants? Would it hurt me to be rejected this cycle and then apply again the following cycle. I will have improved my app in that time period, likely significantly.

Thanks!

State/Country of Residence: California

Ties to other States/Regions: No

URM? (Y/N): N

Year in School: Senior

Undergrad: Top public university

Undergraduate Major(s)/Minor(s): B.A Biology & BA in PH

Graduate Degrees (if applicable): N/A

Cumulative GPA: 3.82

Science GPA: 3.78

MCAT Score(s): 523

Research Experience:

-I have worked in an infectious disease lab for three years studying Listeria monocytogenes. I may be published in a paper that is coming out soon, but it's likely the paper will not be published before I apply for medical school :(.

Publications/Abstracts/Posters (include how you were credited e.g. first author, second author, etc.):

I will present my personal research in a poster session at my university.

Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer):

-I worked at a covid testing center administering oral covid tests to the local population. (Paid, ~300 hours)

-Volunteered for my university testing services as a “swab coach,” directing patients on how to administer self swabs. (volunteer,~30 hours )

Physician Shadowing:

-Currently none due to local hospitals having strict covid restrictions. I am hoping to change this in the months coming up to the application, but with the pandemic worsening in my area, I am not hopeful. (any advice here would be helpful)

Non-Clinical Volunteering:

-This is where I have a big hold, I am trying to fill before application is due.

Leadership:

-I have taught a student lead course about cancer in the modern-day at my university for three years. The largest class to date had 90 students. I discuss the underlying causes of cancer, the modern responses to it and also bring in expert speakers to address topics I am unable to cover. These guest speakers range from UCSF oncologists to people who have had significant personal experiences with cancer.

Other Extracurricular Activities:

- I love surfing, skiing, and backpacking.

Other Employment History:

-I worked for a biotech company during the pandemic that collected and tested samples of COVID-19 via rt-PCR. I worked in the lab aliquoting samples and helping to run them on the PCR machines. (~320 hours)

Immediate family members in medicine? (Y/N): Y, mother is a nurse

Specialty of Interest (if applicable): Emergency medicine, General surgery, and trauma surgery

Interest in Primary Care (Y/N): N

Interest in Rural Health (Y/N): Y

Members don't see this ad.

Why not wait until you are ready? I respectfully disagree with the esteemed @Goro. While plenty of people are ultimately successful as reapplicants, they also definitely have a more difficult time than first time applicants.

Overall, their acceptance rates are lower, because they are deemed by adcoms to be weaker as a group. They are absolutely subject to more scrutiny, since schools are looking for the significant improvement you seem to be certain you will achieve. It just seems so unnecessary to put yourself through it if you know going in that you are "unlikely to get accepted as is," just for the small chance to maybe save yourself a year.

Don't believe me? Please read this before deciding:

Many medical schools offer specific pages of advice for reapplicants, something I find few students look into. This would be true whether or not you are a specific reapplicant to that school. Below are links to a few and please note most say the most common mistake among reapplicants is applying again too soon

Should I do a Masters in my gap year / WAMC / advice please

University of Miami Miller School of Medicine
Reapplicants - Miller School of Medicine Admissions
Roughly 20% of the students who apply to the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine in any given year are reapplicants. Data that we have collected indicate they have a lower acceptance rate than do first time applicants

University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Heath
http://www.med.wisc.edu/education/md/admissions/reapplying/31716
(emphasis in the original)
There should be significant improvements in your application before reapplying. This might mean not reapplying the very next year. The most common error made by reapplicants is that they submit their next application too soon.

The Ohio State University College of Medicine
Interview Tips | Ohio State College of Medicine
To maximize the chances of giving off this perception, you must allow enough time before reapplying. This will undoubtedly be the hardest part of the process, but be patient; if you rush it, you may join the ranks of those who are applying for a third time.

University of Minnesota Medical School
Re-Applicant
Though you can submit a second application immediately after your first application, you may want to consider waiting a year if you feel you need more experiences that help you demonstrate the essential and desired qualities of an ideal medical student.

University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
Reapplicants | Office of Admissions
Our Ideal Candidate | Office of Admissions

Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
http://medicine.vtc.vt.edu/admissions/re-applicants/

LSU Health Shreveport
http://www.lsuhscshreveport.edu/Education/som/admissions/reapplicants/index

University of Missouri
University of Missouri School of Medicine

East Carolina University, Brody School of Medicine
Page not found (404)

Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNTHSC)
Common Mistakes Made by Applicants - Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine

Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine
http://www.com.msu.edu/Admissions/Guidelines_For_Success/Reapplication.htm

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
No, but send your best application. I would apply with a mindset of doing everything you could by the submit date to get an offer. Better you not worry about a reapplication than plan on one or more. Do it right the first time.

Remember, it costs to apply... financially and mentally.

Reactions: 2 users
No, but send your best application. I would apply with a mindset of doing everything you could by the submit date to get an offer. Better you not worry about a reapplication than plan on one or more. Do it right the first time.

Remember, it costs to apply... financially and mentally.
Yes, I do agree. The only issue is that my MCAT expires after two years, so I want to be in the applicant pool as much as possible in those two years.

Curious to know your thoughts.

Last edited:
Apply when you are most ready. Re-applicants are looked upon favorably if they show good improvements.

Yes, I do agree. The only issue is that my MCAT expires after two years, so I want to be in the applicant pool as much as possible in those two years.
When did you take your MCAT?

Why not wait until you are ready? I respectfully disagree with the esteemed @Goro. While plenty of people are ultimately successful as reapplicants, they also definitely have a more difficult time than first time applicants.

Overall, their acceptance rates are lower, because they are deemed by adcoms to be weaker as a group. They are absolutely subject to more scrutiny, since schools are looking for the significant improvement you seem to be certain you will achieve. It just seems so unnecessary to put yourself through it if you know going in that you are "unlikely to get accepted as is," just for the small chance to maybe save yourself a year.

Don't believe me? Please read this before deciding:
Yes, this is good to know. I'm definitely going to have to give it more thought. At the moment though, my thinking is that the weakest parts of my app will be my volunteering (I am getting some now, but it will seem last minute) and my clinical. Both of these things can be performed and really done right, after two years out of college. I won't have to worry about classes and can focus on other things, and that re application will have those additional activities.

My plan for that volunteering will be do either EMT/MA, while working in my local community clinic and taking Spanish classes. This is something I have wanted to do for a while anyway, and I know I can make a convincing story because I am passionate about those ventures.

That said, if there's a way I can get on with my life, even if its not likely, then I want to take it.

I don't think your MCAT will be expired anywhere if you decide to apply in 2023. Not 100% sure though. Check MSAR and school websites.
Most schools accept scores that are 3 years old to matriculation. So I might be wrong, but I think I have 2022 cycle and 2023 cycle. The 2024 cycle will put me at 4 years old upon matriculation.

Yes, most schools will accept scores 3 years old, but you should make sure. Remember that an application cycle spans from June until April, so at this time next you, you need at least 150 hours of documented clinical experience and 150 hours of community service (non-clinical and/or not teaching). So far your COVID testing hours will help, but it doesn't give me a sense you have observed doctors interacting with patients.

If you look for a full-time emergency room scribing position (there are some companies out there), you can get a lot of insight into life in the ER/ED and observe physicians. Read some physician profiles (here on SDN or wherever) and view some virtual shadowing recordings on YouTube (though those hours won't be as useful).

If you don't have classes to worry about, you should be able to get a lot of hours and quality insights. (SDN just released its Activity Finder tool. Let us know how it works.)

You really aren’t ready to apply. The Covid work might be better placed with nonclinical community service . The people you were working with might have been sick or maybe they weren’t. But clinical experiences can be paid or volunteer and they should be providing you the opportunity to be face to face with the sick, injured or dying. Swabbing Covid tests doesn’t provide that opportunity and it certainly doesn’t give you a look inside medicine. So you really have no good clinical,experiences. And you admit you have no shadowing. How do you know you even want to be a doctor? How do you know you want to work with people at their worst? Why are you trying to take short cuts. Are you late to the med school track?
You have a good GPA and a great MCAT. You really should only apply once with the best possible application. Do it once, do it right.

Reactions: 1 users
No. Sometimes reapplying without addressing possible reasons why you didn't get in can look bad. Most schools understand students don't get into med school the first time more often than not. The real question is why didn't you and how did you strengthen yourself this cycle?

Would you be able to respond to
You really aren’t ready to apply. The Covid work might be better placed with nonclinical community service . The people you were working with might have been sick or maybe they weren’t. But clinical experiences can be paid or volunteer and they should be providing you the opportunity to be face to face with the sick, injured or dying. Swabbing Covid tests doesn’t provide that opportunity and it certainly doesn’t give you a look inside medicine. So you really have no good clinical,experiences. And you admit you have no shadowing. How do you know you even want to be a doctor? How do you know you want to work with people at their worst? Why are you trying to take short cuts. Are you late to the med school track?
You have a good GPA and a great MCAT. You really should only apply once with the best possible application. Do it once, do it right.
I do agree with this, but feel like I should apply this cycle and the next (with my app really fleshed out) to at least be in the application pool. This will give me experience with application writing, interviews (if I were to get any) and maybe get really lucky. Plus, I want to be in the app pool while my MCAT is still good

If there is no stigma against reapplicants (as I am worried there is), then the only downsides to applying this cycle are the cost (ouch but I am willing to take it) and the time put in (this good be good experience)

If there is a stigma against reapplicants then I will def wait to apply.

Would you be able to respond to

I do agree with this, but feel like I should apply this cycle and the next (with my app really fleshed out) to at least be in the application pool. This will give me experience with application writing, interviews (if I were to get any) and maybe get really lucky. Plus, I want to be in the app pool while my MCAT is still good

If there is no stigma against reapplicants (as I am worried there is), then the only downsides to applying this cycle are the cost (ouch but I am willing to take it) and the time put in (this good be good experience)

If there is a stigma against reapplicants then I will def wait to apply.
I doubt there is a stigma because I got interviews at 4 or 5 schools that I applied to in a previous cycle but was rejected pre-II. On the other hand, I was rejected at schools pre-II this time that accepted me in a previous cycle. I’m a reapplication with a red flag and got fifteen chances, have two acceptances, so it probably didn’t hurt that bad (the reapply)

But I would listen to candbgirl and mrsmile. It is very demoralizing to apply and not have success. If it’s not too much of a financial burden or you are eligible for FAP, you could roll the dice, if and only if you’re committed to preparing for reapp (volunteering, clinical exp.) in the midst of the cycle. Even if you start getting interviews, continue improving because you never know what could happen post II

I doubt there is a stigma because I got interviews at 4 or 5 schools that I applied to in a previous cycle but was rejected pre-II. On the other hand, I was rejected at schools pre-II this time that accepted me in a previous cycle. I’m a reapplication with a red flag and got fifteen chances, have two acceptances, so it probably didn’t hurt that bad (the reapply)

But I would listen to candbgirl and mrsmile. It is very demoralizing to apply and not have success. If it’s not too much of a financial burden or you are eligible for FAP, you could roll the dice, if and only if you’re committed to preparing for reapp (volunteering, clinical exp.) in the midst of the cycle. Even if you start getting interviews, continue improving because you never know what could happen post II
Yeah that is exactly my plan. I am going got be operating off the idea that I need to keep improve the app, but still role the dice.

I plan on only applying to schools where I would be excited to attend. Otherwise all my hopes are really on that second cycle.

you should only plan to apply once and get it right that time
but hey if you have thousands of dollars to throw away, go for it

right now you seem to have is a gpa and a mcat.

I'm a reapplicant who was kinda like you - had a pretty good GPA/MCAT and good ECs but lackluster clinical experience. I will say that after my first unsuccessful cycle, I have had a lot more luck this year and can even say that the practice/reflection I had from my interviews and essays did help me when reapplying. Furthermore, I did get a lot of love from schools who previously rejected me - two of the highest ranked schools I interviewed at rejected me quite early last cycle.

However, 2 of the schools that interviewed me last year straight up rejected me this year. That, plus the fact that reapplying has a huge mental cost IMO (being hopeful for interviews -> being hopeful for acceptances -> being hopeful to get off a bunch of WL -> extremely mentally exhausting) as well as a huge financial cost. I know you're worried about your MCAT, but if you used this year to add meaningful clinical hours and to focus on perfecting your writing, you would be a shoe-in when you do apply.

Do you feel like you regret applying the first time?
I 100% regret it. Not only did it waste a ton of time/effort, but it also prevented me from finding clinical volunteering earlier (was my main weakness) which definitely affected my current cycle

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users