Do medical schools offer research opportunities for non PhD students?

Started by nysegop
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nysegop

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you're not doing the MD/PhD combined program will most schools still have some sort of research you can do? I'm interested in research but I'm not too excited for the extra bulk that a PhD program would have (thesis/dissertation, etc.).
 
If you're not doing the MD/PhD combined program will most schools still have some sort of research you can do? I'm interested in research but I'm not too excited for the extra bulk that a PhD program would have (thesis/dissertation, etc.).

Not much research is covered in med school from what I've heard.

I'm strongly considering a Ph.D (or MD/PH.D)

3 years is a bargain for a ph.d program, and I guess if you really want to do research, the dissertation should be fun :laugh:

Just for curiosity's sake, why do you want a Ph.D? And what would you study?
 
Not much research is covered in med school from what I've heard.

I'm strongly considering a Ph.D (or MD/PH.D)

3 years is a bargain for a ph.d program, and I guess if you really want to do research, the dissertation should be fun :laugh:

Just for curiosity's sake, why do you want a Ph.D? And what would you study?

I don't really need a PhD, but research is really important for some residencies. For orthopaedic surgery, 93% of accepted applicants have research experience.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A lot of MD medical schools require research projects from MD-only students. All medical schools will have research opportunities available for MD-only students. The amount of research opportunities available will depend on the school.

For example, I get a small stipend and minimum 3 but up to 8ish months of protected research time if I want. I could also take an extra year with a full stipend to do a research year.


Bottom Line: There is no need to do a PhD if you want to do research. You do a PhD if you want to devote your life and career to research.
 
A lot of MD medical schools require research projects from MD-only students. All medical schools will have research opportunities available for MD-only students. The amount of research opportunities available will depend on the school.

For example, I get a small stipend and minimum 3 but up to 8ish months of protected research time if I want. I could also take an extra year with a full stipend to do a research year.


Bottom Line: There is no need to do a PhD if you want to do research. You do a PhD if you want to devote your life and career to research.

Ahhh. I see. Thanks
 
3 years is a bargain for a ph.d program, and I guess if you really want to do research, the dissertation should be fun :laugh:

MD/PhD programs like to advertise 3-4 years of PhD training, but 3 years is rare. The average for MD/PhD students completing the PhD portion is closer to 4.5 years. The only aspects of MD/PhD programs that fast-track students through grad school is getting laboratory rotations and some grad school coursework done during the first 2 years of medical school and having mentors, advisors, and committee members giving MD/PhD students a sense of urgency to complete on time. It is not very uncommon to see MD/PhD students taking over 5 years to complete the PhD. The PhD of an MD/PhD program is a true PhD and isn't shortchanged any.
 
If you're not doing the MD/PhD combined program will most schools still have some sort of research you can do? I'm interested in research but I'm not too excited for the extra bulk that a PhD program would have (thesis/dissertation, etc.).

The vast majority of research done in med schools is clinical research, and is done by regular MD students, not PhDs. A few places have explicit research requirements. Several specialties expect some research. So yeah, if you hope to do anything competitive, you will do some research in med school.
 
I want to do at least a little.

You will definitely have the opportunity during the summers. However, you will be spending so much time studying i'm sure you will want to take that summer off as a break. Most of the people who have research experience probably did some as an undergrad.
 
You will definitely have the opportunity during the summers. However, you will be spending so much time studying i'm sure you will want to take that summer off as a break. Most of the people who have research experience probably did some as an undergrad.

Most people do some sort of research during the first summer of med school. While undergrad research looks fine, it doesn't really replace med school level research on your CV for the paths that like to see research. You spend the bulk of the second summer studying for step 1. After that you don't really have "summer" off -- you might get a few days, or you might carve out some vacation from your elective time during fourth year.