Do midlevels run surgeries in rural areas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MacGyver

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know PAs and stuff are first assistants, but I'm talking about full blown autonomy where the surgeon is in a different room and doesnt get involved except in case of emergency.

Does this happen anywhere in America yet?

Or are surgeons the only docs in the United States who still have resisted midlevel autonomy?

Members don't see this ad.

I am not aware of anywhere in the US where midlevel practictioners are doing skin to skin without any involvement of the surgeon in the hospital setting. No idea what might be happening in the context of office surgery (little mole excisions, etc.) I have no doubt that it is happening there.

Surgeons tend to use PA/NP types for inpatient care, office visits and assisting and some PAs are basically running satellite offices on their own, so I wouldn't necessarily say that surgeons have "resisted" autonomy, just that they haven't extended it to the OR yet. (Though with people itching for ways to make more money, I'm sure it will only be a matter of time before some surgeon starts "supervising" his/her PA through a straight forward case)

Mac, it's very interesting that you posted this question here when you used the answer as part of one of your circular arguments to troll around on the anesthesiology forum!

Members don't see this ad :)
I know a lot of PA's in rural areas...haven't heard of any operating solo. I can't imagine a reputable hospital allowing a mid-level do a case w/o the preceptor or suitable substitute present in the room. I'm sure the anesthesiologist would be more than a little concerned as well...Macgyver, I sincerely hope you can somehow resolve your anger at mid-levels. It will just give you GERD.

Originally posted by entpa
Macgyver, I sincerely hope you can somehow resolve your anger at mid-levels. It will just give you GERD. [/B]

This is the funniest thing I have ever read.

Judd