Do minors matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

james1988

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
for majors in english/philosophy/anthropology or other humanities/non-science majors, is it worth it to get the Bio minor by taking like 3 courses outside of the pre-med curriculum? For a humanities major, would a bio minor have any intrinsic worth? would it boost the app?

Members don't see this ad.

for majors in english/philosophy/anthropology or other humanities/non-science majors, is it worth it to get the Bio minor by taking like 3 courses outside of the pre-med curriculum? For a humanities major, would a bio minor have any intrinsic worth? would it boost the app?

no, take the extra bio courses because you want to

They matter as much as majors do.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got asked about my minor in all of my interviews, of course I was a bio major with an Italian minor...I doubt they'd ask, "So why the bio minor?"

Probably not.

I was only two semesters of P-Chem away from a Chem minor. Thank goodness my pre-med advisor told me to forget it. I can't image how much worse my GPA would've been had I taken those... :scared:

From what I've heard, applicants' majors and minors aren't very important to admissions committees. However, it may possibly be valuable to have a biology minor if you decide to pursue a career outside of medicine.

I guess I'd advise you to take the course based on a combination of how interested you are in the matter, how you think you'd enjoy a class on the subject and, to be realistic, if you think you could succeed in it. I think the other factors are relatively unimportant.

I'm so sick of these racist threads.

Having the minor won't make a difference. Taking extra science classes could help boost your science GPA if the classes aren't too bad.

does it matter more the other way around?? meaning, a bio/any science major....with minors in humanities or language or something else...I think it might help show that you are well-rounded....but overall I guess it really doesnt matter that much either

I'm so sick of these racist threads.

Lol ok. Anyhoo SarsMO what kind of questions did they ask. I'm an italian minor as well and the comments I get from others are "why don't you learn something useful? No one speaks Italian anymore".

Lol ok. Anyhoo SarsMO what kind of questions did they ask. I'm an italian minor as well and the comments I get from others are "why don't you learn something useful? No one speaks Italian anymore".

They usually start by asking why, and for me, it's a personal reason. I felt conflicted on bringing it up, but I'm glad I did and no one seemed to judge me for it. My boyfriend is a 1st generation American, and everyone outside of his nuclear family only speaks Italian, so the first time I went to Italy to meet them all, I couldn't say anything but, "Piacere." "Ciao." Then they'd all talk to each other for an hour while I sat in the corner smiling like an idiot. I wanted to learn to be able to communicate with them as well as my boyfriend in Italian because it's an important part of his (and therefore my) life. I agree, though, it isn't the most practical language unless you spend a lot of time in Italy. :) It's a beautiful, fun language, and I have LOVED learning it. I also mentioned how learning another language has always been a goal of mine, and that I've had a lot of exposure to others. Oh, and I had one person ask me to say something in Italian...I don't remember exactly what, but it was something someone would have learned in Italian I.