Do most people aim to get into SOME med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axp107

UCLA>> Italian Pryde
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do most people (even good students with great scores) basically just aim to get in SOMEPLACE?

Or do you guys still try and get in the "TOP 10/20"

Members don't see this ad.

I'll honestly be happy just getting into medical school. Sure I would like to go to my dream school but if it doesn't happen I am not going to cry about it... I JUST WANT TO GET IN SOMEWHERE! lol

I was aiming for any med school, and praying for the miracle of staying in California.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you hit the application trail yet? It's a jungle. Trust me.

Those people who insist on a "Top 10/20" will invariably become very humbled when May comes around.

That doesn't mean you should go with a shot-gun approach and apply to every single school, hoping to get in at least "some place". Never apply to a place you would not be happy to go to.

I was old and jaded when I applied. There were only a few schools that I considered.

busybee--only 12 posts since November? Where have you been all of my life?

Beggers can't be choosers :rolleyes:

Do most people (even good students with great scores) basically just aim to get in SOMEPLACE?

I'm definitely in the same boat you are! I just want to get in somewhere, anywhere in the U.S.!!!

why would you not aim for the top?

lol, I don't know about everyone else, but I won't because I don't have a 3.94 GPA. T_T
Lol, I have exactly a 3.94 GPA (no kidding) and the cycle starting next month will be my third time applying.

axp107 said:
I think it's a mistake to think this way. Obviously the answer is no. Certainly someone with a 3.9+ and an MCAT over 40 will have a very strong advantage...but if that same person is without a single meaningful EC and has NO exposure to medicine I would bet against it (unless perhaps they were specifically shooting for academic medicine/research). There is no guarantee in this process, and to assume otherwise will only give you a false sense of hope or despair.

PS- I was talking about actually getting in, not just applying. Personally I've always applied to a mix of both.

Lol, I have exactly a 3.94 GPA (no kidding) and the cycle starting next month will be my third time applying.

I think it's a mistake to think this way. Obviously the answer is no. Certainly someone with a 3.9+ and an MCAT over 40 will have a very strong advantage...but if that same person is without a single meaningful EC and has NO exposure to medicine I would bet against it (unless perhaps they were specifically shooting for academic medicine/research). There is no guarantee in this process, and to assume otherwise will only give you a false sense of hope or despair.

PS- I was talking about actually getting in, not just applying. Personally I've always applied to a mix of both.

third time? wow.. i'd think with a 3.94 gpa, you'd have a great shot.

This upcoming cycle might be my fourth attempt, hopefully it won't. But I will say this, every year I have gotten closer. I can taste it...

It's a fairly rare applicant that can get away with just a couple of targeted applications. Most need to send out 10 to 20, and it would be pretty dangerous to just apply to the top 10-20 schools. There were very good applicants on SDN this past year who boxed themselves out of acceptances this way. So you should never go into the process thinking that 1-2 schools are your dream school because most people have to be happy with the 1 out of a dozen that mutually feels they are a good fit. Also bear in mind that the US News ranking system isn't exactly scientific, so there isn't anything magically better about the top 10 versus the next 5, etc. Most people have a couple of longshot applications, a good handful of realistic shots, and if they are very strong applicants, maybe their state school as a "backup". So yes, I'd say the majority will be happy with what they get and most people will apply to somewhat of a range. Keep in mind that half the people who apply to med school will not get into any.

That's definitely how I started out. I was inititally contemplating applying ED to one of my (unranked) state schools, but I ultimately decided that I wasn't willing to put all of my eggs in one basket. So I applied to 22 schools, several of which were not ranked. Once I had been accepted to a few schools, I was obviously in more of a position to be critical. But yeah, until you have some acceptance somewhere, anywhere, don't be a cocky SOB (or DOB). At the beginning, the holds and rejections were coming in so fast that I was seriously looking into applying for post docs.

I now know two people who've turned down a school they didn't really want to go to and will reapply. Just blows my mind...

I now know two people who've turned down a school they didn't really want to go to and will reapply. Just blows my mind...

I've stories like this where people don't get in the second time because schools aren't interested in high-maintenance personailities.

In my experience talking with other applicants, pre-meds that only want to be practicioners generally only want to get into medical school. Pre-meds with research aspirations generally have a few schools that they really like because of the research opportunities, reputation, etc.

In my experience talking with other applicants, pre-meds that only want to be practicioners generally only want to get into medical school. Pre-meds with research aspirations generally have a few schools that they really like because of the research opportunities, reputation, etc.
Maybe. I think age and experience has a lot to do with it too. I mean, I was applying with a PhD; you don't get more research-intensive than that. And I can tell you that if what you're looking for is research opportunities, you can find them everywhere. Even state schools have some excellent PIs. They just may not have people who are doing stellar research in every field like the top research institutions do. Also, it's the PI who writes you the LOR, not the institution. So if you want to do research, worry about the PI's rep, not the school's. :)