Do most residencies send interviews all at once, or spread out?

Started by Prionos
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Prionos

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This year is especially weird with COVID and having applications not sent until Oct 21st, so I'm attempting to get a gauge on if I should expect many more invitations, or if I'm screwed. According to a google doc going around over 75% of programs have sent out at least some interviews, and my question is what is the likelihood that they will send more? Does anyone know if most programs send them in waves? Or do most send them all out at once?
I'm stressed about it because I only have 4 PM&R interviews at this point (almost 3 weeks in) and I wasn't expecting to have so few. 230 USMLE 1, 576 Comlex 1, 613 comlex 2, 3 volunteer experiences, 2 publications, 4 presentations, multiple work experiences, great LOR's, auditions at Moss and Rush.... Is it time to freak out or no?
 
On an applicant level you will receive interviews over multiple months. At my training institution (n=1 obviously) we did 2 or 3 major batches of interview invites and then would back fill with wait list applicants week of an interview if needed if people cancelled/rescheduled their interview.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’d be interested in seeing how the stats change this year. It wouldn’t be surprising if applicants were throwing out more applications because costs for interviewing are essentially nothing because they are virtual. I’d also be surprised if there were declines in applicants declining interviews.
 
I’d be interested in seeing how the stats change this year. It wouldn’t be surprising if applicants were throwing out more applications because costs for interviewing are essentially nothing because they are virtual. I’d also be surprised if there were declines in applicants declining interviews.

i think all of those things are true, and making it impossible to know if I’ll be okay or not