Do most schools have a note taking service?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fullefect1

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not sure I would want to go to a school that doesn't have something similar to this. Do all schools have note taking services? How much do the notes usuallly cost?

Members don't see this ad.

hmmmmmmm, most of the schools that I applied to do infact have a note taking system. Sometimes they are student run, sometimes they are university run.......but either way, most of the ones that I am familiar with are free (so long as you volunteer to write out the notes for a few lectures)

To me, it seems like a pretty damn good idea, but its by far NOT the most important thing I'm looking for.....it just looks like a good service to support your studies

we don't have a student note taking service - but the school does give us lecture packets weekly that are usually comprehensive.

Members don't see this ad :)
We don't have a note taking service, instead all of our lectures are videotaped and posted online later that day so you can watch them if you can't be there. We also get comprehensive syllabi and copies of the slides used in the lectures.

Originally posted by Neuronix
We don't have a note taking service, instead all of our lectures are videotaped and posted online later that day so you can watch them if you can't be there.

i know that drexel has both (online videotaped lectures plus note service). the note-taking service is student run, and available for a fee.

I truly do not understand the utility of a note taking service if your medical school provides lecture note packets. Can someone explain it to me?

Originally posted by DW
I truly do not understand the utility of a note taking service if your medical school provides lecture note packets. Can someone explain it to me?

I paid for our classes note-taking service the first semester of first year, found out that 99.9% of the lectures were either posted online (usually as powerpoints) or were accompanied by a handout, and did without the notes for the rest of first and second year.

I don't know. Some people swear by the Note Taking Service (NTS). Of course, many of these people actually take notes in class, download the online lectures and make notations in the margins, make summaries of the NTS notes and cross-index them with their own notes, and then condense everything down to index cards. The logistics of this are frightening. I just read the powerpoint lectures off of my laptop, read the handouts, and supplemented this with some reading from BRS or similar review books.

The thing I liked best about studying in medical school as opposed to studying for my engineering degree is that all you have to do in medical school is read. No writing is required. In enginering we had to work out problems, make calculations and do a lot of writing.