Do most students work at their retail store on the weekends during rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amphetamine Salts

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been working at CVS for nearly 2 and a half years and I'm in my 5th year. I know for a fact that retail is not my goal after I graduate so any time spent working here is mainly for extra spending money.

With that being said, I don't mind working once a week during the school year (which is what I'm doing now), but when rotations begin next year in May I kind of want to stop working at CVS altogether and focus on my APPEs and applying for jobs in managed care after I graduate.

Should I continue to work at CVS once a week up until graduation or would I be able to essentially quit working after 5th year ends and still be able to get my license with no problems?

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you, I'd continue working for CVS and have it as a back up option in case if you don't happen to get a job in managed care.

Why wouldn't you be able to get your license if you stopped working at cvs? Does your state require experiential hours? Have you satisfied this requirement?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Even if you have no intention of working at CVS it'd still be nice to have the potential job offer in my opinion. It's be a good fall-back and a continuous internship is probably one of the most valueable components of a CV/resume... even if it isn't in the setting that you are aiming for.

The only reason you wouldn't get licensed is if you're from one of those states that required experiential hours outside of APPEs (PA comes to mind).

Even if you have no intention of working at CVS it'd still be nice to have the potential job offer in my opinion. It's be a good fall-back and a continuous internship is probably one of the most valueable components of a CV/resume... even if it isn't in the setting that you are aiming for.

I see, that is true. If I quit CVS at the start of my rotations I wouldn't have the opportunity to get a job offer from them. I should probably continue so that I can get that job offer as a back up.

The only reason you wouldn't get licensed is if you're from one of those states that required experiential hours outside of APPEs (PA comes to mind).

I am in PA, I need a certain amount of intern hours, from what I understand the process is not examined very closely, so I could tell my preceptor to say that I worked the amount of hours even if I didn't. My preceptor would do that for me since she is very lax, but if I just up and quit I won't have the luxury and would probably be left with incomplete hours.

I'm thinking I should just stick around until the end, do once a week on the weekend, even during rotations. I can make some money and I know of several others who do similar schedules so it's probably not that big of a deal.