DO/MPH Programs:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krockjon19

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
t

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
From what I understand, there's a difference between applying do/mph and do/phd. For do/phd you have to apply specifically for that program and the competition is much tighter. For do/mph basically if you're accepted to do school, you then have the option of applying for the mph degree after you've been accepted. I don't think there is much competition for a mph degree, though i may be wrong about that.

I've never heard of a school not giving out grades before. You're probably gonna have to contact AACOMAS and ask them how to deal with that situation.

No reason why you can't do the summer camp thing. Just do your health related volunteer work during your school semester. I used to do mine on wednesday afternoons and sometimes sunday nights. When I volunteered my hospital only asked that I put in a minimum of 4 hours a week. You should easily be able to fit that into your school schedule.

I'm working on my Master's now (applying for class of 2007), but I'd like to piggyback on this thread (hope you don't mind krockjohn)... Are there any DO/JD programs out there? I know that the schools I applied to don't have it, but I'm just curious.

Many thanks! :hardy:

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey
School of Osteopathic Medicine (UMDNJ-SOM) has a DO/JD program. I think that they are the only school, but I'm not sure.

One of the people who interviewed me at UMDNJ was a student that was going for the do/jd thing, but she dropped it because she said it was too hard (not material, but amount of work). I think how it works is you do 2 years of med school, then 2 or 3 years of law school, then the last two years of med school. Is that right? I remember it being something like a 7 year degree.

Course I've always wondered what the point was. If you want to be a doctor with legal knowledge, hire a lawyer instead. Layer with medical knowledge? Go see a doctor. :D

There is a law firm in Des Moines that has a MD/JD and a DO/JD. They are injury lawyers. To much work I think.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the info! If I do end up going for my JD, I'll wait until after residency... I agree, after thinking about it, that it's way too much work -- especially splitting up the book med school years from the clinical stuff... Too much time to forget.

Have a great weekend!

-Michelle-