Do my ECs look weak?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Walter Raleigh

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
They look slightly below average.

500 hours of research isn't that much, maybe a summer. That's probably about average.

300 hours in the ED is probably around average for clinical volunteering, maybe a little above.

50 hours in a tutoring EC doesn't really show much commitment (that's like once a week for less than a semester)

10 hours shadowing is basically meaningless

Do you have the "boxes" checked? Yeah. Is it going to impress anyone? Probably not. It looks like you just box checked unless there's another significant EC (even if not medicine related) that you're withholding.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Adding on to what wedge said, it's not that your ECs are "weak" per se, but just very very very bland....

Put some stuff you did during college (if any) like clubs, Greek, social, sports, music, anything. Don't be [Applicant #5368035] to adcoms, but rather "Oh, yeah I remember [Walter Raleigh], he's the one that [insert activity here]!"

You will make yourself a much better candidate if you you add lots more hours in service to people less fortunate than yourself. And make sure it's off campus and out of your comfort zone.

Am concerned that my ECs look pretty weak.
500 hours research with regional poster presentation
100 hours volunteering in hospital ED
10 hours shadowing ER doctors
50 hours mentoring middle school science fair contestants
Will have ~300 hours in ED by application time.

How about homeless shelters or soup kitchens? Church groups very often have opportunities for you to show your altruism. Expand your comfort zone and stop looking like you are working off a check list.