Dr Faith

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2005
9
0
Status
I have recieved conflicting opinions on this. I was wondering if anyone here can clarify.

Can DOs start their own independent practice? ie in a clinic independent of a hospital that is privately owned.

I was told recently that the main reason many people do not do DO is because they can never own their own practice. Is this true?
 

NeuroDO

Neuro, D.O.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
61
0
37
New Haven, CT
Status
Dr Faith said:
I was told recently that the main reason many people do not do DO is because they can never own their own practice. Is this true?
Yes, this is true. DOs may never own their own practice. In fact, by becoming a DO, the individual forfeits his or her right to own any property whatsoever, and all of the property previously owned by the DO prior to his being granted the DO degree is transferred to his or her nearest MD relative, or if there is no MD who is a third degree relative or closer, the property goes to the MD within whose last name most close resembles that of the DO.

Additionally, DOs are specifically forbidden by law from looking at MDs directly in the eyes, as this is a sign of disrespect that will not be tolerated.

DOs also lose their right to vote unless they undergo an allopathic residence and sign a sworn statement vowing to never practice OMM.

An amendment pending to the Untied States constitution would dictate than in the census (beginning in 2010) DOs will not count when determining a state's population for representation in the United States Congress. This amendment has the support of numerous republican lawmakers, specifically Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania, and is also favor by many prominent evangelists such as Jerry Falwell, who view OMM as "left-wing pagan voodoo."
 

gbiz

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2004
370
0
MI
Status
Resident [Any Field]
lmao

neuroDO, are you already a DO?

NeuroDO said:
Yes, this is true. DOs may never own their own practice. In fact, by becoming a DO, the individual forfeits his or her right to own any property whatsoever, and all of the property previously owned by the DO prior to his being granted the DO degree is transferred to his or her nearest MD relative, or if there is no MD who is a third degree relative or closer, the property goes to the MD within whose last name most close resembles that of the DO.

Additionally, DOs are specifically forbidden by law from looking at MDs directly in the eyes, as this is a sign of disrespect that will not be tolerated.

DOs also lose their right to vote unless they undergo an allopathic residence and sign a sworn statement vowing to never practice OMM.

An amendment pending to the Untied States constitution would dictate than in the census (beginning in 2010) DOs will not count when determining a state's population for representation in the United States Congress. This amendment has the support of numerous republican lawmakers, specifically Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania, and is also favor by many prominent evangelists such as Jerry Falwell, who view OMM as "left-wing pagan voodoo."
 

omarsaleh66

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2003
952
7
39
temecula ca
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
1. DOs are mammals.

2. DOs fight ALL the time.

3. The purpose of the DO is to flip out and kill people.


Q & A:

Why is everyone so obsessed about DOs?

A: DOs are the ultimate paradox. On the one hand they don't give a crap, but on the other hand, DOs are very careful and precise.

Q: I heard that DOs are always cruel or mean. What's their problem?

A: Whoever told you that is a total liar. Just like other mammals, DOs can be mean OR totally awesome.

Q: What do DOs do when they're not cutting off heads or flipping out?

A: Most of their free time is spent flying, but sometime they stab. (Ask Mark if you don't believe me.)

edit: DOs are closely related to ninjas. Check out this awesome website for more information http://realultimatepower.net/
 

jkhamlin

Joe Cool Attending
15+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2003
1,067
3
45
Joplin, MO
Status
Attending Physician
Dr Faith said:
I have recieved conflicting opinions on this. I was wondering if anyone here can clarify.

Can DOs start their own independent practice? ie in a clinic independent of a hospital that is privately owned.

I was told recently that the main reason many people do not do DO is because they can never own their own practice. Is this true?
My uncle is a DO and owns his own practice. I guess no one told him. :D
 

JohnDO

MS III
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2003
655
0
Visit site
Status
I was told recently that the main reason many people do not do DO is because they can never own their own practice. Is this true?
It's not true. DO's can have their own practices if they wish. Go correct the person that told you they couldn't :thumbup:
 

carn311

Dead tired.
10+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2005
401
1
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
NeuroDO said:
Yes, this is true. DOs may never own their own practice. In fact, by becoming a DO, the individual forfeits his or her right to own any property whatsoever, and all of the property previously owned by the DO prior to his being granted the DO degree is transferred to his or her nearest MD relative, or if there is no MD who is a third degree relative or closer, the property goes to the MD within whose last name most close resembles that of the DO.

Additionally, DOs are specifically forbidden by law from looking at MDs directly in the eyes, as this is a sign of disrespect that will not be tolerated.

DOs also lose their right to vote unless they undergo an allopathic residence and sign a sworn statement vowing to never practice OMM.

An amendment pending to the Untied States constitution would dictate than in the census (beginning in 2010) DOs will not count when determining a state's population for representation in the United States Congress. This amendment has the support of numerous republican lawmakers, specifically Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania, and is also favor by many prominent evangelists such as Jerry Falwell, who view OMM as "left-wing pagan voodoo."
Wait ...if become a DO can I still keep my wife?
 

NeuroDO

Neuro, D.O.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
61
0
37
New Haven, CT
Status
carn311 said:
Wait ...if become a DO can I still keep my wife?
Possibly. Provided no MD wants her, you may keep her, but if you find one who does, you'll be forced to either surrender your license or your wife. Just be careful not to look the MD in the eyes when conducting the negotiations. That could get you into tricky legal territory.
 

brent311

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2004
70
0
Status
If you want a non sarcastic answer then the answer is yes they can own their own practice like any other doctor. You are probably getting a DO doctor confused with PA (physician assistant) which is not a doctor and cannot open their own practice on their own but can see their own patients in a doctors office
 

wisconsinmilf

Fabuleux destin d'Amélie
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2004
52
0
blue state
Status
NeuroDO said:
Possibly. Provided no MD wants her, you may keep her, but if you find one who does, you'll be forced to either surrender your license or your wife. Just be careful not to look the MD in the eyes when conducting the negotiations. That could get you into tricky legal territory.
I think it is more like prima nocte...
As such, a DO must surrender to the MD, giving him the sexual rights to any female commoner in their territory on her wedding night. The bride thereby avoids violence between her husband (DO) and the MD by going with the lord willingly.
Hope this helps,
-WM
 

omarsaleh66

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2003
952
7
39
temecula ca
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
wisconsinmilf said:
I think it is more like prima nocte...
As such, a DO must surrender to the MD, giving him the sexual rights to any female commoner in their territory on her wedding night. The bride thereby avoids violence between her husband (DO) and the MD by going with the lord willingly.
Hope this helps,
-WM

I would be careful with that tone about DOs. There was once a DO in a diner and some dude dropped a spoon, and then the DO killed the whole town.
 

Echinoidea

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2003
255
1
Fangorn Forest
Visit site
Status
Dr Faith said:
I have recieved conflicting opinions on this. I was wondering if anyone here can clarify.

Can DOs start their own independent practice? ie in a clinic independent of a hospital that is privately owned.

I was told recently that the main reason many people do not do DO is because they can never own their own practice. Is this true?
You were told correct. In fact, a law was passed over 5,000 years ago, even before the civil war, that expressely forbade osteopathic physicians from owning their own practice, and also from wearing cell phones on their belts. The federal governmet has largely ignored this rule until recently, when the Patriot Act enabled the Feds to begin seizing and closing osteopathic practices. This has not come without resistance from physcians, and there have been several fatalities when federal agents tried to raid offices and have had HVLA performed on them against their will. CNN, Dateline, 20/20, and Ted Koppel have all been clamoring for an exclusive interview with AT Still to discuss these developments. Now, if you'll excuse me, I believe I have just soiled my pants.
 

docbill

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2004
2,419
1
Status
Medical Student
carn311 said:
Wait ...if become a DO can I still keep my wife?

YOu guys knock it off... if this is true then many men will be going into the DO field.

The last thing we want is to have more applicants from men, trying hard to get good GPAs and MCAT and increasing the entrance requirements, just to get rid of their wives.






(Shhhh.. lets keep this a secret)
 

emedpa

GlobalDoc
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2001
6,014
301
Taking an Away team....
Status
Post Doc
brent311 said:
If you want a non sarcastic answer then the answer is yes they can own their own practice like any other doctor. You are probably getting a DO doctor confused with PA (physician assistant) which is not a doctor and cannot open their own practice on their own but can see their own patients in a doctors office
brent- a pa CAN actually own their own practice. they just have to arrange a supervising doc(s). many solo rural pa practices are run this way. the pa hires a doc to read/sign whatever the minimum number of charts is per month required by state law. some states require that an md be present x days per month or week. I have 3 friends who run a practice in which they hired a retired surgeon to review their charts. guy has never been in the clinic. they have a large network of specialty physicians available for referals. they don't do any ob, just fp, urgent care and occupational med.they each work 2 days a week and the clinic is closed on sundays. 10 yrs ago they each made 150k/yr after expenses.their clinic is remodeled warehouse space that they rent for 300/month. their entire staff consists of 2 medical assistants with limited xray licenses who also do reception and billing.they own an old xray machine that they bought second hand from a clinic that was closing.they are the only practice in the area so it's a sweet deal for them and the community.
 

Dr. MTB

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2004
55
0
Status
I have a question. While doing my residency, will I, as a DO be able to use the same bathroom as MD's and the rest of the ancillary staff?
 

JimmyMallo

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2005
60
0
43
Austin, TX
Status
carn311 said:
Wait ...if become a DO can I still keep my wife?
Actually this is really a new perk. Since the congress banned D.O.'s from practicing anywhere but in Utah D.O.'s are now required to have at least 3 wives!! :laugh: :laugh:

Wait minute, that might not actually be a perk :eek:
 

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
30,981
9,891
Status
Attending Physician
Dr. MTB said:
I have a question. While doing my residency, will I, as a DO be able to use the same bathroom as MD's and the rest of the ancillary staff?
Only for #1. And you need to use the shorter urinal.
 

Fusion

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2004
498
0
Visit site
Status
While I have found some comic relief in some of the posts on this thread, I say we cut the OP some slack and chalk it up to youthful naivete. Dr Faith, there is nothing that an allopathic physician can do that an osteopathic physician cannot - they are both doctors in every sense. In fact, osteopaths receive additional training in the musculoskeletal system that allopaths do not. Don't believe everything that you may hear, especially from someone who may not know what they are talking about.
 

Shinken

Family Medicine
15+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2003
1,474
323
Lima, OH
Status
Attending Physician
How can a DO own a medical practice? Don't you have to actually go to medical school and obtain a license to practice medicine to actually be able to own a medical practice?

Perhaps the OP means that a DO can own a medical practice, but staff it with physicians (MD). So, in that sense, the DO "owns" the practice.

Trolls...gotta love 'em.
 

Funkdoctor

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2005
80
0
Status
Shinken said:
How can a DO own a medical practice? Don't you have to actually go to medical school and obtain a license to practice medicine to actually be able to own a medical practice?

Perhaps the OP means that a DO can own a medical practice, but staff it with physicians (MD). So, in that sense, the DO "owns" the practice.

Trolls...gotta love 'em.
HaHa
 

MaloCCOM

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2002
215
1
www.thealo.com
Status
My understanding is that only "real" doctors can own their own practice.

Ha ha ha, that was ridiculous. Seeing that the dumbest of teh dumbest idiot on earth can open a business, including a clinic.... why on earth can't a doctor.
 

BMW19

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2002
794
1
Da South
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If you do turn over your wife you get the coveted DO, MD that everyone asks about (but only in California)

JK, I should't support wise-a$$ comments. I get enough of them in the EM thread!



Fusion said:
While I have found some comic relief in some of the posts on this thread, I say we cut the OP some slack and chalk it up to youthful naivete. Dr Faith, there is nothing that an allopathic physician can do that an osteopathic physician cannot - they are both doctors in every sense. In fact, osteopaths receive additional training in the musculoskeletal system that allopaths do not. Don't believe everything that you may hear, especially from someone who may not know what they are talking about.
 

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
7,698
6
Status
Medical Student
Dr Faith said:
I have recieved conflicting opinions on this. I was wondering if anyone here can clarify.

Can DOs start their own independent practice? ie in a clinic independent of a hospital that is privately owned.

I was told recently that the main reason many people do not do DO is because they can never own their own practice. Is this true?
That's silly. MD's & DO's have the same exact priviledges in all states if they are properly licensed. This means that they can hold the exact same jobs and do the exact same things. DO's work in allopathic hospitals and MD's work in osteopathic hospitals.
 

fullefect1

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2003
790
0
34
Mass
Status
omarsaleh66 said:
I would be careful with that tone about DOs. There was once a DO in a diner and some dude dropped a spoon, and then the DO killed the whole town.
Hahahahaha... I laughed for like 5 seconds when i read that.
 

ArcherM2

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
May 6, 2004
308
0
36
Pittsburgh, PA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
This is hilarious.

NeuroDO - Does Rick Santorum really have reservations about DO's? He was just at my school. Had I known of any anti-DO sentiment, I would have definitely gone and approached him.
 

Dr. MTB

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2004
55
0
Status
Law2Doc said:
Only for #1. And you need to use the shorter urinal.
Maybe I can break ground for the osteopathic profession, and be the first DO to take a **** on an MD toilet.
 

DrDad

DO Stud. '08
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2003
706
0
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Visit site
Status
Dr. MTB said:
Maybe I can break ground for the osteopathic profession, and be the first DO to take a **** on an MD toilet.
Just so long as u hit the seat, but by all means, dont touch the seat afterwards, or before for that matter: MD's being the elites that they are, have superior germs that may make all common sense be evacuated out your bowels...

Just my two cents....

DrDad
 

Dr. MTB

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2004
55
0
Status
DrDad said:
Just so long as u hit the seat, but by all means, dont touch the seat afterwards, or before for that matter: MD's being the elites that they are, have superior germs that may make all common sense be evacuated out your bowels...

Just my two cents....

DrDad
I'll be sure to line the seat with toilet paper.
 

DrDad

DO Stud. '08
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2003
706
0
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Visit site
Status
good it is nice to hear that a DO bretheren will not contract ALLOPATHOELITOENCEPHALOLYSIS.... A newly identified Allopathic Disease....

LOL

DrDad
 

Dr. MTB

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2004
55
0
Status
DrDad said:
good it is nice to hear that a DO bretheren will not contract ALLOPATHOELITOENCEPHALOLYSIS.... A newly identified Allopathic Disease....

LOL

DrDad
Hilarious
 

DrDad

DO Stud. '08
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2003
706
0
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Visit site
Status
Dr. MTB said:
Hilarious
BTW.... identified by a DO (and they said we dont do research, HMMMPH!)

:D

DrDad