Do NBME Questions Repeat on the Actual USMLE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bt9099

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

1. Do you all use the NBME tests as a learning tool too? (I know there are answers floating around for some exams, but I've seen that a lot of them are inconsistent, so you could be just learning the wrong information to begin with)

2. Obviously concepts on the NBME are the same as the ones on the Step I. But for those of you have have taken both, were there any questions on the real exam that there is no way you would have gotten right had you not seen a similar (or exact) quesetion on the practice NBME?

3. Are questions repeated?

Thanks guys!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know, but I had the exact same question stem come up twice during my test today.

Be careful of the all powerful one word change.

I had a freebie that I almost missed because 99% of the stem was the same, and the graph was 100% identical. The only reason I got it right was because I refused to believe that they would be that nice, and sure enough they are not.

Members don't see this ad :)
THanks guys.

But do you think its still worthwihle to do the NBMEs as a learning tool, given the amount of time it will take to research each question that you dont know---and a lot of times the vagueness of the questions will leave you at a point that you still dont know if you got the right answer???

Murphomatic--thanks for the heads up. But do you think you still wouldve been able to answer that question without having seen it before when you toook the practice?

I ask b/c Im guaging whether it will be worth it to struggle though working through the NBME questions....

GUyts, the help is truly much appreciated, on this and all my other threads.

Hey guys,

1. Do you all use the NBME tests as a learning tool too? (I know there are answers floating around for some exams, but I've seen that a lot of them are inconsistent, so you could be just learning the wrong information to begin with)

2. Obviously concepts on the NBME are the same as the ones on the Step I. But for those of you have have taken both, were there any questions on the real exam that there is no way you would have gotten right had you not seen a similar (or exact) quesetion on the practice NBME?

3. Are questions repeated?

Thanks guys!!
uhhh, what? Really? wow, if that's the case, I won't use NBMEs and just stick with UW.

In preparing for such an important exam, I DEF. wouldn't wanna use any source that might contain "wrong information to begin with".

Good thing I entered this thread. :thumbup: