Do Neurosurgeons have enough time to do anything else?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mister T

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious as I know that Neurosurgeon really is a calling and all but does Neurosurgery ever allow you to pursue anything after work?

I'm just dreaming at this point and I know that priorities/expectations/reality is totally different, but I also have ambitions of going into politics and running for office one day.

Does the lifestyle of a Neurosurgeon make it impossible once residency is done, to say go to a part time master's program at night, or part time law school at night (there are 4 year programs for instance)?

I mean taken into account that a person is mortal and can only do so much, and taking into account being in a relationship/family/etc. is it even remotely possible to juggle all of that?

I know that the moderator (NJDEM) had a family friend according to one of his/her posts that went to law school before going into medical school and ultimately going into neurosurgery, so that sparked an idea in my head.

I suppose, too, that going to law school is unnecessary as it's more about who you know, but the knowledge and technical expertise doesn't hurt. If that's overkill, maybe a master's program is more feasible?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey Mister T,

I thought about getting my law degree after (or the same time) as my MD. But what's the point? Either practice law or medicine.

This guy puts it pretty well:

On MD-JD's: Don't do it.

Last edited:
Hey Mister T,

I thought about getting my law degree after (or the same time) as my MD. But what's the point? Either practice law or medicine.

This guy puts it pretty well:

On MD-JD's: Don't do it.

I've read that before but the point that he was trying to make was that you shouldn't go for an MD/JD COMBINED program. He wasn't making the argument that you should necessarily be confined to one field of practice only but rather you should be a lot older and wiser and then go back to law school part time if need be (not to mention he adds that you incur less interest this way too if you're working as a physician at the same time). So my question is, does the lifestyle of a neurosurgeon make this impossible?

Why can't a neurosurgeon, for instance, work 20-40 hour work weeks during those years? Is it an issue of skill degradation and atrophy, contractual obligations with the hospital forcing you to work 60 hours a week, or just the need for more money?

I agree that MD/JD programs have an inherent weakness, in that they require the young to make too many life decisions and commitments before they know themselves adequately. That does not, however, mean that adults cannot make a rational decision to combine professions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've read that before but the point that he was trying to make was that you shouldn't go for an MD/JD COMBINED program. He wasn't making the argument that you should necessarily be confined to one field of practice only but rather you should be a lot older and wiser and then go back to law school part time if need be (not to mention he adds that you incur less interest this way too if you're working as a physician at the same time). So my question is, does the lifestyle of a neurosurgeon make this impossible?

Why can't a neurosurgeon, for instance, work 20-40 hour work weeks during those years? Is it an issue of skill degradation and atrophy, contractual obligations with the hospital forcing you to work 60 hours a week, or just the need for more money?

Honestly, Mr. T., who would you pick as your neurosurgeon? Then one who newly graduated from his residency and is working part-time, does less surgeries, and is studying for his law degree in between opening up a few skulls a week or the one who is fully emersed in his field of neurosurgery, perfecting his skills, reading up on new technology and the latest procedures? Think deeply about your intentions. Why do you need a neurosurgery degree to be a politician and vice versa? Is it ultimately for prestige? To make changes? You need a ton of passion to be happy in neurosurgery or you will be miserable. You can have a family while in neurosurgery, but sacrifices are made. Your plan sounds like overkill and unnecessary. What truly do you want? Just being honest.

yes, I don't understand this either. If you were in a non-surgical specialty I guess it would be a little easier to get another degree. But if you want to be the guy who gets patients referred to, I'd think medicine is more than enough to focus on. Certainly so in a surgical specialty. You're not really going to have the time anyway, so what's the point? And, if you really like other subjects, just pick up a couple of books and read on your own. I would think that if somebody is to enter a surgical field while worrying about not having time for another degree (or things in general as a matter of fact), maybe surgery ain't your field and you might want to rethink your options.

let me guess...you are a pre-med. that isnt supposed to be judgemental or mean. but the fact is, the only people who even sit down and think about such grandiose and ridiculous life plans....are pre-meds. its one thing to want to be a neurosurgeon....and become one, then be disillusioned by it, and consider a different career entirely (law, politics). its another thing to think about doing it all from the beginning.

The reason why it will be nearly impossible to do much outside of neurosurgery, is because you will be expected to bring in a certain amount of money. As a surgeon, you bring in money by doing procedures, which in the case of neurosurgery, are usually time consuming (4 hrs on average). So when coming out of residency, whether you join a private practice group or an academic department, you will be expected to reach some quota of procedures/money. People will always hire the guy that's going to work 60-80 hrs a week over the guy that wants to work part time or even 40 hrs a week. You may be thinking, that starting a solo practice might be a better option. There are 2 problems with this. 1. The cost of operating your own practice ie. running an office, paying for all the sophisticated equipment, malpractice insurance etc. will require you to work a substantial amount of hours just to break even. 2. Many solo practitioners have contracts with hospitals who buy your equipment, dedicate an OR for neurosurgery, and usually pay you a hefty salary so they can have a neurosurgeon on staff. However, you will be expected to bring in a lot of money to make it worth there while. Again, this will require most of your time. And don't forget, with a solo practice there is no one else to share call with meaning more nights at the hospital.
If you really are passionate about being a neurosurgeon and going to law school, your most realistic option would be to join a private practice group, and pay your dues for several years until you reach senior level in the group. With more seniority it may be possible to do back surgeries from 9-5, and then have more time to pursue other ventures. But this will be way down the road.