Do non-American citizens FMG get paid while doing their residency in the USA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alternatego

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been wondering if foreigners (as is my case) get paid while doing a residency in America. I'm really nervous about this :(

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Absolutely.
You will get paid exactly the same (and the same medical insurance benefits, etc.) as any of the students from the US if you get into a residency. There is no difference. I have heard there might be some differences regarding income taxes (? that you might even get to keep more of your paycheck than the US graduates) due to not being a citizen. The difficulty is actually getting into a US residency...it would be harder than for us US med school graduates.

Absolutely.
You will get paid exactly the same (and the same medical insurance benefits, etc.) as any of the students from the US if you get into a residency. There is no difference. I have heard there might be some differences regarding income taxes (? that you might even get to keep more of your paycheck than the US graduates) due to not being a citizen. The difficulty is actually getting into a US residency...it would be harder than for us US med school graduates.

Thank you very much!