Do nonequivalent courses get averaged together ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smhmd

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am basically doing a DIY post bacc for a year to raise my sgpa. I signed up as a second degree student to save money because non degree is double the money. So basically they want me to retake biochemistry even tho I have taken it before with my first degree. I took Biochem I which is a 3 credit class that does the first half of biochem and has no lab. This new biochem class is a 4 credit class that covers biochem 1 and 2 topics and has a lab. I was wondering if I took this class would it be seen as the same course as Biochem I ? I initially got a C in Biochem I but I do not want to retake it, I want to take new classes. If I take biochem again tho I can get a second degree, which is not my goal but would be cool. The same thing is happening with my stats course. They say the stats courses that I have taken are not equivalent to their stats course and want me to retake it. But I got an A+ in stats and really don't want to retake. Any advice ? Should I forget about the second degree and just focus on taking new science classes in order to just raise my sgpa or take these courses and get a second degree ? Any help is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

My non-equivalent courses were counted as separate courses on my transcript. I had some issues with transferring credits from CC to 4-year university and had to retake a few classes.

All courses are averaged together though...there is no grade replacement on AMCAS or AACOMAS, even if your school does it.

My non-equivalent courses were counted as separate courses on my transcript. I had some issues with transferring credits from CC to 4-year university and had to retake a few classes.

All courses are averaged together though...there is no grade replacement on AMCAS or AACOMAS, even if your school does it.
Did they count different for AAMC ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did they count different for AAMC ?

I would think if they are separate on your transcript they should be separate for AAMC. Mine had different course codes, which is what you input into AMCAS.

Reactions: 1 user
I would think if they are separate on your transcript they should be separate for AAMC. Mine had different course codes, which is what you input into AMCAS.
Got it. Thank you !

Should I forget about the second degree and just focus on taking new science classes in order to just raise my sgpa or take these courses and get a second degree ? Any help is appreciated.
Med schools won't care about whether you earn a second degree. They do care about a competitive sGPA and decent grades in med school-relevant classes. Take the new Biochem class.

Reactions: 1 users
I am basically doing a DIY post bacc for a year to raise my sgpa. I signed up as a second degree student to save money because non degree is double the money. So basically they want me to retake biochemistry even tho I have taken it before with my first degree. I took Biochem I which is a 3 credit class that does the first half of biochem and has no lab. This new biochem class is a 4 credit class that covers biochem 1 and 2 topics and has a lab. I was wondering if I took this class would it be seen as the same course as Biochem I ? I initially got a C in Biochem I but I do not want to retake it, I want to take new classes. If I take biochem again tho I can get a second degree, which is not my goal but would be cool. The same thing is happening with my stats course. They say the stats courses that I have taken are not equivalent to their stats course and want me to retake it. But I got an A+ in stats and really don't want to retake. Any advice ? Should I forget about the second degree and just focus on taking new science classes in order to just raise my sgpa or take these courses and get a second degree ? Any help is appreciated.
The bigger issue for you is that, by doing this, you are defeating your purpose of taking the second degree to save money. By having to take classes you wouldn't otherwise be interested in taking, while you are picking up the second degree (whatever that's worth), you are eating up any savings you achieve by paying less per credit.

Basically, the school has figured out how to get you either way. Wouldn't it be easier to just take what you need in the DIY post-bacc, even if you are paying more per credit?

The bigger issue for you is that, by doing this, you are defeating your purpose of taking the second degree to save money. By having to take classes you wouldn't otherwise be interested in taking, while you are picking up the second degree (whatever that's worth), you are eating up any savings you achieve by paying less per credit.

Basically, the school has figured out how to get you either way. Wouldn't it be easier to just take what you need in the DIY post-bacc, even if you are paying more per credit?
No lol saving 10k is more important for me than the freedom to choose what classes I want. Especially since if I signed in as a non degree I would be dead last during enrollment and all of the classes I want will be gone. Right now it’s fine tbh I have been able to enroll in some good upper level courses.

Just to clarify from the thread title

1) No courses at all of any kind on AMCAS ever get "averaged" together
2) All grades from all college courses taken used in AMCAS GPA
3) Repeated or Retakes are not averaged together are simply marked as repeated but grades from both are used in GPA calculation
Thank you for the info. I was wondering though Would the new Biochem class be marked as a repeat course ?

No lol saving 10k is more important for me than the freedom to choose what classes I want. Especially since if I signed in as a non degree I would be dead last during enrollment and all of the classes I want will be gone. Right now it’s fine tbh I have been able to enroll in some good upper level courses.
Okay, but are you really saving anything if classes cost twice as much but you are required to take twice as many classes as you would otherwise? Low priority for registration is a good point, if there is no workaround, but taking a degree you have no use for in order to get a lower cost per credit seems like a waste of time, especially if you are forced to retake classes there is no good reason to retake.

Okay, but are you really saving anything if classes cost twice as much but you are required to take twice as many classes as you would otherwise? Low priority for registration is a good point, if there is no workaround, but taking a degree you have no use for in order to get a lower cost per credit seems like a waste of time, especially if you are forced to retake classes there is no good reason to retake.

OP said they had to take two extra classes, not double the classes.

Just because you sign up for a second degree does not mean you need to earn it. I did my DIY postbac as a 2nd degree seeker, then never finished half of the requirements (2nd degree in bio as it had the pre-reqs & recommended courses. initial degree in aviation with only ~20 credits that could transfer to a different school). I never followed their recommended schedule or only talked with an advisor when accepted (required). I then took whatever classes I felt like (including courses not in the degree path and courses that were similar but not approved). The only additional degree I cared about was the MD.

OP said they had to take two extra classes, not double the classes.
Understood. I was assuming he was going to complete the degree, and that would at least double the classes, but @rdyotz makes an excellent point I didn't consider, even though, to be fair, OP did say he was considering getting the degree.

Just because you sign up for a second degree does not mean you need to earn it. I did my DIY postbac as a 2nd degree seeker, then never finished half of the requirements (2nd degree in bio as it had the pre-reqs & recommended courses. initial degree in aviation with only ~20 credits that could transfer to a different school). I never followed their recommended schedule or only talked with an advisor when accepted (required). I then took whatever classes I felt like (including courses not in the degree path and courses that were similar but not approved). The only additional degree I cared about was the MD.
Yeah that might be my plan. Take 30+ bio credit courses then just leave without finishing it.

Understood. I was assuming he was going to complete the degree, and that would at least double the classes, but @rdyotz makes an excellent point I didn't consider, even though, to be fair, OP did say he was considering getting the degree.
Yeah I am considering it but I think it'll be smarter to just not finish it.