Do nursing clinicals count as "nursing experience" on job applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tipp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My fiance is a nurse applying to hospitals, and she wants to know if she should include clinicals in her response to the question "How many years of nursing experience do you have?" I know some of you are nurses who are applying to medical school now, so I figured someone might have some advice. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I would think no, if she is applying for a nursing job and they ask her about nursing experience then they are talking about actual experience working as a nurse. Its a given that nurses do clinicals in school. My GF was a graduate nurse about 18 months ago. Seems like the first job is the hardest to find, tell her to be persistent. IE Calling the hospitals and finding out the nurse managers for the floors and sending them e-mails or calling them. Worked out great for my GF.

I would think no, if she is applying for a nursing job and they ask her about nursing experience then they are talking about actual experience working as a nurse. Its a given that nurses do clinicals in school. My GF was a graduate nurse about 18 months ago. Seems like the first job is the hardest to find, tell her to be persistent. IE Calling the hospitals and finding out the nurse managers for the floors and sending them e-mails or calling them. Worked out great for my GF.

Thanks! I will let her know.