Does "resident advisor" count as clinical?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DonPetohmi

Reaction score
I would be working for a non-profit mental health company that provides housing and support services to individuals 18+ that have mental health diagnoses. In this position I would be assisting residents with daily living activities such as meal preperation and medication management. I would also be implementing behavior management systems to promote a safe and supportive environment.

I'm trying to decide between this and Scribe America.

EDIT: On google it is listed as a "Assisted living facility" if that helps.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Previously on SDN

Does it require certification or training, like a CNA? I lean yes, it's clinical (patient care experience) comparable to nursing positions.

Also, FWIW,

Last edited:
In my opinion, dealing with residents and helping with tasks that a family member might help with if one were available (in other words, no specialized training or certificate needed) is NOT clinical but it is either paid employment or volunteer. If the people have the title "patient" and/or you are providing intimate care (bathing, toileting) then you might call it clinical.

I tend toward a conservative definition as I think that it is better to be conservative and let adcom members who are more liberal in their definitions give you a boost than to be liberal in your definition and get dinged when someone who shares my opinion reviews your application.

Reactions: 3 users
In my opinion, dealing with residents and helping with tasks that a family member might help with if one were available (in other words, no specialized training or certificate needed) is NOT clinical but it is either paid employment or volunteer. If the people have the title "patient" and/or you are providing intimate care (bathing, toileting) then you might call it clinical.

I tend toward a conservative definition as I think that it is better to be conservative and let adcom members who are more liberal in their definitions give you a boost than to be liberal in your definition and get dinged when someone who shares my opinion reviews your application.
I don't think intimate care is part of the position and it does not require licensing. It seems like according to your definition it is not clinical. My job last summer is also in this gray area. I'm still going to list it as clinical, but I'm not sure what ADCOMs will think- to play it safe I think I'll go with scribe america for this summer. Thanks for your response.

Reactions: 1 user