Quantcast

DO ob/gyn programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabeOBGYN

Reaction score
Does anyone know about DO ob/gyn programs? any suggestions of good programs?

I realize this post is almost 8 years old, but I have the same question. Can anybody share any info about current DO ob/gyn programs?

Also, if a program only gives rotations to students from the school they're affiliated with but offered a "shadow day" in lieu of a rotation, are my chances pretty much nonexistent? Anything in particular I should try to do/say to make an impression? Suggestions on when to set up this shadow day?

Thanks as always!

307Doc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize this post is almost 8 years old, but I have the same question. Can anybody share any info about current DO ob/gyn programs?

Also, if a program only gives rotations to students from the school they're affiliated with but offered a "shadow day" in lieu of a rotation, are my chances pretty much nonexistent? Anything in particular I should try to do/say to make an impression? Suggestions on when to set up this shadow day?

Thanks as always!

I'm a third year from KCOM that's really interested in OB/GYN and I've been doing a little asking around. Most programs but not all will interview their in house people first, then those that rotated there. Many of the programs seem to be solid and produce good doctors. I've been impressed with the MI and OH programs. www.opportunities.osteopathic.org has great information on the number of applicants, number interviewed and number accepted. Most places told me they had over a hundred applications but only offered anywhere from 12 to 50 interviews. One program director told me try and get to the hospital and work with the team even if it's just a weekend for a better chance of an interview. Good luck

Dotsero

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd also like to know more about these DO programs. How competitive are they really? I heard that some of them did not fill last year. Is this true?

Anyone have any thoughts on the training? Do these programs have enough volume? What programs are considered the best? Which ones should you stay away from? What kind of COMLEX I scores do you need to be competitive?

wannabeOBGYN

Reaction score
I'm a third year from KCOM that's really interested in OB/GYN and I've been doing a little asking around. Most programs but not all will interview their in house people first, then those that rotated there. Many of the programs seem to be solid and produce good doctors. I've been impressed with the MI and OH programs. www.opportunities.osteopathic.org has great information on the number of applicants, number interviewed and number accepted. Most places told me they had over a hundred applications but only offered anywhere from 12 to 50 interviews. One program director told me try and get to the hospital and work with the team even if it's just a weekend for a better chance of an interview. Good luck

That sucks, because my school doesn't have any OB/GYN programs attached to it, and even if it did, I wouldn't want to stay there.

I have looked on that site multiple times but I wonder how often some of it's updated, in particular the percentages on pass rates and completion rates. Also, how important are those rates?

Biology101

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
That sucks, because my school doesn't have any OB/GYN programs attached to it, and even if it did, I wouldn't want to stay there.

I have looked on that site multiple times but I wonder how often some of it's updated, in particular the percentages on pass rates and completion rates. Also, how important are those rates?

there is only one program in IL.....

malisa

OB/Gyn
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm also wondering about the DO programs. I do not know anything about any of the programs only what I can gather from their websites. Any insight would be much appreciated

sia_simba

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Majority of the DO OB/GYN programs fill. I think almost all filled as ob/gyn has gotten more competitive.

I can only speak for my current program. Wyckoff in Brooklyn NY. We take 2 resident per year but is looking to expand after inspection this year to 3 per year due to increase number of case loads.

No fellowship programs however previous residents have gotten really good positions and fellowship spots.

I do recommend you do a rotation with us simply to see how well you fit in. Currently the program is 50% male and 50% female. Starting July 2011, it will be 80% female and 20% male.

You get a lot of hands on... at times there are too many cases that medical student assist in procedures. Most of the surgeries done the residents are surgeon and the attending is 1st assist. Rarely will there be senior residents scrubbing in on cases unless its just the senior resident and attending is standing by.

99% resident patients... very hands on. Have high risk population for obstetrics so you won't be missing out. We have a full time MFM, full time gyn oncologist, an REI that does minimally invasive surgery on fridays and Urogyn who does cases on friday. 2 of the regular gyn attending does urogyn cases every monday and tuesdays. Wednesdays are heavy oncology cases. Thursdays are lighter surgery days.

Grand rounds 2 hours every thursday, mandatory. Resident board review from 1pm to 3pm every thursday.

Overall.. fun place to be... sometimes to love you it and sometimes you hate it. :love:

Pfannenstiel29

obgyn bound :)
Reaction score
I'm a DO student who just matched allopathic ob/gyn. Third and early fourth year medical school I was all about DO obgyn programs. I figured there were several good ones (from what I'd heard) in the area of the country I wanted to be (midwest) - why should I stray from my DO training?

I rotated at a couple places and found that many were excellent programs - some had outstanding surgery numbers and had even placed many residents into fellowships (as noted in sia_simba's post).

When it came time to apply however, I became frustrated with the DO match process. Many of the programs wouldn't seriously consider students that didn't rotate with them, and I was told by programs I contacted that if I was truly interested in their program I would set up a time to visit or rotate with them outside of my interview. I felt like my pool of serious choices in the DO obgyn world was small unless I traveled more than I already had! That's why I ended up canceling my DO interviews and applying to MD programs. I found that the allopathic obgyn world is very DO receptive, and that there were maaany more choices.

In my opinion DO programs are great, and if you find one that you are interested in definitely rotate there or at least do a visit "proving" your interest. But, if you want a larger variety of types of programs (size, university affiliation, location) and less drama, you should consider MD programs as well.

Just my experience from interviews and match season this year :)

udsoccer7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a DO student who just matched allopathic ob/gyn. Third and early fourth year medical school I was all about DO obgyn programs. I figured there were several good ones (from what I'd heard) in the area of the country I wanted to be (midwest) - why should I stray from my DO training?

I rotated at a couple places and found that many were excellent programs - some had outstanding surgery numbers and had even placed many residents into fellowships (as noted in sia_simba's post).

When it came time to apply however, I became frustrated with the DO match process. Many of the programs wouldn't seriously consider students that didn't rotate with them, and I was told by programs I contacted that if I was truly interested in their program I would set up a time to visit or rotate with them outside of my interview. I felt like my pool of serious choices in the DO obgyn world was small unless I traveled more than I already had! That's why I ended up canceling my DO interviews and applying to MD programs. I found that the allopathic obgyn world is very DO receptive, and that there were maaany more choices.

In my opinion DO programs are great, and if you find one that you are interested in definitely rotate there or at least do a visit "proving" your interest. But, if you want a larger variety of types of programs (size, university affiliation, location) and less drama, you should consider MD programs as well.

Just my experience from interviews and match season this year :)

Pfanny,

As a recent interviewee and a successful match, do you have any knowledge as to competitive board scores for OBGYN (COMLEX and/or USMLE)? I am a DO student interested in doing an allo OBGYN residency, but wondering if I am competitive enough. The DO programs near Philly do not have the best reputation from what i've been told, so I am leaning towards an allo spot.

Doctor4Life1769

**tr0llin, ridin dirty**
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pfanny,

As a recent interviewee and a successful match, do you have any knowledge as to competitive board scores for OBGYN (COMLEX and/or USMLE)? I am a DO student interested in doing an allo OBGYN residency, but wondering if I am competitive enough. The DO programs near Philly do not have the best reputation from what i've been told, so I am leaning towards an allo spot.

Didn't do OB. Have some classmates that did. Some didn't score this, but I'd aim for >220 for anything, personally. If you have a USMLE score, your COMLEX score (no matter how bad) is overlooked. If you have only COMLEX, then aim for >550.

Last edited:

kirurgilaakari

Reaction score
Didn't do OB. Have some classmates that did. Some didn't score this, but I'd aim for >220 for anything, personally. If you have a USMLE score, your COMLEX score (no matter how bad) is overlooked. If you have only COMLEX, then aim for >550.

Just wondering why someone who didnt do OB is commenting about OB program qualifications? Anyways, you are right about the USMLE, however. If interested in an allopathic program, it would be in your absolute best interest to take the USMLE. People do get accepted, however, with COMLEX only scores but it is a little bit more difficult in general to do so without USMLE scores. To broaden chances of matching allo, take the USMLE step 1 atleast.

Doctor4Life1769

**tr0llin, ridin dirty**
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering why someone who didnt do OB is commenting about OB program qualifications? Anyways, you are right about the USMLE, however. If interested in an allopathic program, it would be in your absolute best interest to take the USMLE. People do get accepted, however, with COMLEX only scores but it is a little bit more difficult in general to do so without USMLE scores. To broaden chances of matching allo, take the USMLE step 1 atleast.

I at one point considered it following an OB rotation 3rd year. Decided not to go into it at the end of the day. However, I have good friends in my class who pursued OB, and matched, and told me their experiences. Plus, I have friends who are 3rd years and considering OB, so I periodically check this forum out for any info. At any rate, I don't feel I've given bad advice. But, I will bow out if it bothers you.

Pfannenstiel29

obgyn bound :)
Reaction score
Pfanny,

I don't think Doctor4Life is too far off with his estimation. In my opinion a USMLE >220 gets you the status of "competitive" for obgyn. But, I don't think hitting that 220 mark is necessary, even as a DO, to get some good interviews. If you look on the apgo.org residency directory, you'll find that many community program's average 'current resident USMLE step I scores' range 200 - 215.

Some allopathic ob/gyn program directors surprised me with their knowledge of COMLEX. I had imagined it would be completely overlooked or ignored in place of USMLE scores, but many seemed familiar with the mysterious 500-700+ numbers :)

mumd2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am an allopathic student that will be starting an OB residency in a few short weeks. My "two cents" about the APGO website is that many programs have not updated their scores in the past few years. I interviewed at mostly university programs and some university affiliated-community programs in the South and Texas. I can tell you that OB has gotten more competitive and some of the score parameters on the APGO website no longer hold true. I had several PD's comment to me that they had never seen scores so competitive for OB (and I had several friends with scores 210-220 that were denied interviews). Not saying that to discourage you (because I personally think OB is awesome and can't figure out why more people don't like it) but I would tell you to apply broadly and to a large spectrum of programs. Good luck!

Doctor4Life1769

**tr0llin, ridin dirty**
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Definitely agree that one may not need 220+, but I'm always in the school of thought that one should never strive for "just good enough." Hence, 220+

Everything is getting more and more competitive, even the FP/IM programs that normally had to scramble. Class sizes/school #s are increasing. I'm glad I matched just before **** hit the proverbial fan.

I didn't know they knew about COMLEX scores, that's cool... what would you say they desired out of COMLEX scores? I know plenty in the 3rd year class who did not take USMLE, but are interested in MD OB programs. This would help. My estimation was 550, but I could be wrong. Thanks