DO Ortho programs and required Audition rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frappalino16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knew which DO ortho programs regularly accept applicants that HAVE NOT done an audition rotation at their site. The time to apply for auditions is coming around the corner and I believe this info will help me narrow down that list. Any information is greatly appreciated and thank you all for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I believe at this point it's safe to say every program prefers you do a rotation to be considered for interview. CAREFULLY select your rotations. Rotate at sites you want to interview for. The climate has changed -- most programs get tons of well qualified applicants just in their rotator pool so they don't need to look further.

Reactions: 1 user
I believe at this point it's safe to say every program prefers you do a rotation to be considered for interview. CAREFULLY select your rotations. Rotate at sites you want to interview for. The climate has changed -- most programs get tons of well qualified applicants just in their rotator pool so they don't need to look further.
Thanks for replying, Readdoc. I intend on doing 4x 4wk auditions and was kind of hoping that I'd still have a chance at other programs.

If you don't mind me asking, could you share how many programs you auditioned at, how many programs you applied to, and how many interview invites you got?

Members don't see this ad :)
There's tons of stuff I've learned in the last few months that I'd wished I'd known last year. But that's me, learning things the hard way.

Rotations are increasingly important. Choose to rotate at a "reach" place, a "safe" place and then whereever else. Work your ass off. Be every program's dream candidate. It's so overwhelmingly competitive out there, I'm stunned sometimes when i think about it.

I basically rotated three places, but managed to interview at other places as well because of high scores. I wish I'd known better to rotate at more places. You can set up shorter rotations, like two weeks, and get out to more places. The competition just to get rotation spots is tough and getting it all arranged can be hairy.

So you know -- rotating somewhere doesn't guarantee an interview, either. I know of several people who rotated, but didn't get interview invites. Many programs are now keeping the number of interviewed candidates down. Which is good. They interview only, say 15, for two spots, the odds are better than if they throw the door open and invite 50 to interview for 2 spots.

I applied to a ton of places, probably too many, but I don't have a family to drag along. For a lot of married with kids people, the places you apply might be limited. Don't apply to places you'd never really consider living and in the end don't rank programs where you'd hate to be.

I wrestle with the whole situation -- the importance of rotations -- mostly cause there's only so many places you can physically rotate and many places fill their rotation spots with local talent first and so even landing a rotation spot can be hard. The emphasis on rotations has changed the game, now it brings the focus down -- programs get to see you and you get to see the programs and it might make better matches, but it's still physically limiting.

Everybody out there right now is frantic, the pressure is on, it's crazy, but I'm charging ahead.

What advice would I give you?

If you're convinced ortho is for you -- go for it, but get a thick skin -- it's tough. You'll have to go toe-to-toe with some of your smartest peers.

Ortho is overpopulated with applicants, know that.

Have a backup.

I'm a PGY 2 at a DO Ortho program. Auditions are crucial. Rotated at four and interviewed at the four I rotated at. Applied to ~20 programs. Scores about 550. Others received interviews at places they didn't rotate at if they had higher scores. I recommend calling places starting in January to schedule rotations. I didn't have much of an issue since I started early. Some may not schedule that far out but try. If I could do it again I would maybe do a few two week rotations to increase my program exposure