DO ortho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Es Pontas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any info on the different DO ortho residencies? I got a low 600 on the COMLEX and would like to know which programs are considered elite, so I can try and avoid some of those and go for the ones I might have a better shot with. In fact, any info on DO ortho in general would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I appreciate the help but the one is in relation to DOs trying to match into MD ortho (not gonna happen for me) and the other is 5 years old and only mentions like 8 of the ortho programs.

I was wondering if anyone had specific information on the orth residency in Oregon, Chicago, California, Nevada, or any other info in general. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate the help but the one is in relation to DOs trying to match into MD ortho (not gonna happen for me) and the other is 5 years old and only mentions like 8 of the ortho programs.

I was wondering if anyone had specific information on the orth residency in Oregon, Chicago, California, Nevada, or any other info in general. Thanks!
The programs in Oregon, Chicago, Cali, and Nevada are all going to be considered elite/competitive b/c of their location. Chicago is arguably the best program, Cali (Riverside) is also very very good, and the other two are newer but due to location are going to be very competitive. Someone said a while back Oregon likes people with upwards of 700. Once again, these are all going to be highly sought after due to location. Beggers can't be choosers my friend, you and me both should take anything we can get!

The programs in Oregon, Chicago, Cali, and Nevada are all going to be considered elite/competitive b/c of their location. Chicago is arguably the best program, Cali (Riverside) is also very very good, and the other two are newer but due to location are going to be very competitive. Someone said a while back Oregon likes people with upwards of 700. Once again, these are all going to be highly sought after due to location. Beggers can't be choosers my friend, you and me both should take anything we can get!

umdnj-som has ortho and if u got > 600 on comlex, then that should be good for an interview if everything else in your app is good. tho in the do world, we all know a lot of it is about audition rotations and making a great impression w/ the programs...and that can save u when u have lower than expected #s.

umdnj-som has ortho and if u got > 600 on comlex, then that should be good for an interview if everything else in your app is good. tho in the do world, we all know a lot of it is about audition rotations and making a great impression w/ the programs...and that can save u when u have lower than expected #s.
Do they also expect research and publications during medical school, or is that not as important?

Do they also expect research and publications during medical school, or is that not as important?

not sure, i guess i can ask some of my friends who r ortho residents there. i know for md ortho, its a big enough requirement that someone i know took a whole year off to do ortho research. another person is a friend of my friend who went to penn didn't match ortho there (didn't have the #s) but s/he stayed an extra year and did research there and matched the next year - but remember that s/he orig went to penn for med school.

it can't hurt for any specialty to have research/pubs but i've heard for things like derm and ortho, its better to have research. i'll c if i can ask my friends (i actually think that none of them did research actually) who matched ortho at umdnj-som and one of the michigan do hospitals. if i find anything, i'll post it here.