Do other schools know where else you applied?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vet8240

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wodering if a dental school knows what other dental schools you applied. Also, do they care if you have a long list of schools? I have a pretty long list myself and I certainly do not want to look bad and/or get an idea that I'm not as confident as I should be.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I was wodering if a dental school knows what other dental schools you applied. Also, do they care if you have a long list of schools? I have a pretty long list myself and I certainly do not want to look bad and/or get an idea that I'm not as confident as I should be.

Thank you!

doesn't matter. I applied to tons, it didn't seem to bother any adcoms. Only thing it bothered was my wallet.

Oh that's good to hear because when I saw the 'Please list other schools you are applying to this cycle', I panicked and thought shoot, they are going to see my long list too!

Members don't see this ad :)
Only UNLV has asked so far for me.

I applied to 23, and when I got asked that I only named the first few, I don't think they really want a long list. Now, when they do find out what schools you've been accepted to / have deposits put down is like May 1st. If you have more than one deposit on May 1st when all the schools exchange their lists, you're in danger of getting all of your acceptances revoked.

Are you sure it's okay to only list a few? I don't want them to think I'm omitting or keeping info from them. You know, the whole 'be truthful' thing.

You must write really big or really have a lot of schools, that was a lot of space on that form lol

Yes I admit I do have a long list because I'm not super confident about acceptances. UNLV will probably not like my list huh

the unlv secondary app has about 9 nines to list the schools

the unlv secondary app has about 9 nines to list the schools

Well they must have changed it this year. So either put 9 schools down with their full names, ie, "University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine," or list however many you want, I really don't think that matters very much.

When NOVA asks for the Dental Programs you're applying to, they are asking which other schools you are applying to, yes? Or does Dental Programs refer to something else?

I am pretty sure they mean schools. ^

it has been my observation from limited experience that I have
some schools do care about why you REALLY applied to their school.
Was it additional thought because you applied to all "higher" schools and decided to add theirs as "safety".... was it location because you want to stay close to home... or because their school location is great one.... did you applied to 6 schools within your close region and then added one school across the country... are you into research and applied to every research school and then added one that is not known for research but has lower passing numbers...
some schools seems clearly care about numbers first- "got stats, we look at you" and some schools state that they have numerical system of grading your application and as much as 40% of that grade comes from your personal qualities...
basically I think after inital shifting and cut offs there will be enough candidates with pretty similar stats, PS, EC so school has to decide how likely this person will be accepting offer if made... why bother giving consideration to someone who is unlikely to come...
OTOH I have seen some schools really do not care if they are your dream school- "we accept the best" is their motto because they sure know they will always have overabundance of qualified candidates.