Do OTs practice optometry w/o license?

Started by IndianaOD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

IndianaOD

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There tend to be more and more "vision specialist" OTs cropping up around my area. One parent told me their OT was patching their child's eye! I was slightly stunned by this. What, technically, is an OT allowed to do in regards to vision?

I am contemplating reporting them to the state licensing board. As far as I knew only optometrists and other physicians can prescribe vision therapy. Are not Optometrists and Ophthalmologists the vision specialists?
 
There tend to be more and more "vision specialist" OTs cropping up around my area. One parent told me their OT was patching their child's eye! I was slightly stunned by this. What, technically, is an OT allowed to do in regards to vision?

I am contemplating reporting them to the state licensing board. As far as I knew only optometrists and other physicians can prescribe vision therapy. Are not Optometrists and Ophthalmologists the vision specialists?

If they are doing vestibular training, they possibly would patch a child's eye. Now if they're putting in eye drops and then turning them into a pirate, they have a problem.