Do-over: what science career would you pick?

Started by bmclinn
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bmclinn

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you could start over back at undergrad, which science-based career would you pick (if non-pharm)? And why didnt you chose this path originally?
 
Physics. or Applied Math.

Then teach pre-meds physics and calculus at $80/hour 30 hours per week and call it a good life. Lol. If this was cash business, 6 figures in my pocket NOT taxed? I'll take it!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you could start over back at undergrad, which science-based career would you pick (if non-pharm)? And why didnt you chose this path originally?

I'd definitely do math or physics PhD , both fun, both pretty decent job markets and pay ..

I didn't choose them originally because I really wanted to be a pharmacist of course ! I need a certain amount of physical stress and adrenaline in my life and really, numbers researcher just doesn't have that lol.
 
I'd definitely do math or physics PhD , both fun, both pretty decent job markets and pay ...
Could you tell me about the career opportunities for Math/Physics PhD? How come I keep hearing over and over again that PhDs are underemployed/underpaid?
 
I worked in molecular biology research before. I would probably just do that again, if there was any way I could make as much money as a pharmacist.

But I have to say, I feel much more useful and needed as a pharmacist.
 
As someone who used to work in the bio industry, this thread makes me laugh.

I think I probably would have tried a little harder in undergrad to be an M.D. if I had to do it all again, but I really like pharmacy so I'm pretty happy where I'm at.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
get a PhD in either theoretical physical or chemical research and work for a university - won't get crazy money, but great working conditions and I love the college atmosphere.
 
Can pharmacy school student loans go on deferment while pursing a PhD for 6+ years?

Yes. Educational deferment .. it would make much more financial sense to stay in IBR repayment or even pursue pslf though , since a PhD and post doc can be 10 years , you could wipe out your pharmacy loans.
 
i was always so interested in business.....sigh my parents talked me way out of it, despite my dad having an mba and pulling 70k a yr working from home like maybe 10-20 wks max as a broker for an ins company..something about me being asian and female confines me to healthcare only...

edit;

id try my hand at an mba, or some kind of computer science.
 
Forget a formal science degree actually.

If you care about money and not much about "prestige", become a car mechanic. Price gouging is so freakin' ridiculous because many people don't even know how to do an oil change, etc. No way you're going to work 12 hours, maybe a typical day is from 8 AM to 3 PM, so that will leave time for other hobbies and avenues to pursue. You will get a lil' dirty though, but it beats standing on the unemployment line...

Other good professions include state trooper (pension + awesome benefits), and firefighter. Of course, risk of getting injured/death is there, but I rather die on the job than from hunger due to no paycheck. Yikes, this post came off as morbid! 😵
 
Forget a formal science degree actually.

If you care about money and not much about "prestige", become a car mechanic. Price gouging is so freakin' ridiculous because many people don't even know how to do an oil change, etc. No way you're going to work 12 hours, maybe a typical day is from 8 AM to 3 PM, so that will leave time for other hobbies and avenues to pursue. You will get a lil' dirty though, but it beats standing on the unemployment line...

Other good professions include state trooper (pension + awesome benefits), and firefighter. Of course, risk of getting injured/death is there, but I rather die on the job than from hunger due to no paycheck. Yikes, this post came off as morbid! 😵


I would found a new pharmacy school. Or two. OldStock University School of Pharmacy or OSU SOP: no PCAT no GPA. Everyone has a chance to become a PharmD 🙂
 
i was always so interested in business.....sigh my parents talked me way out of it, despite my dad having an mba and pulling 70k a yr working from home like maybe 10-20 wks max as a broker for an ins company..something about me being asian and female confines me to healthcare only...

edit;

id try my hand at an mba, or some kind of computer science.

Since you want MBA, how about doing a real business with me ?? You, me, and @PharmDCandidate2014 and a couple more to partner up to open a school. So finish your PharmD. Rent a building in a middle of nowhere for cheap. Buy some tables and chairs to set up shop. Easy money: 30-40K a head, 200-300 per class, year round or 3 admitting classes a year. Instant millionaires 🙂
 
Last edited:
Since you want MBA, how about doing a real business with me ?? You, me, and @PharmDCandidate2014 and a couple more to partner up to open a school. So finish your PharmD. Rent a building in a middle of nowhere for cheap. Buy some tables and chairs to set up shop. Easy money: 30-40K a head, 200-300 per class, year round or 3 admitting classes a year. Instant millionaires 🙂
.
 
Last edited:
As brilliant as this is, i do NOT volunteer to be the sacrifice. How about I pursue the chair buying and leave the pharm d finishing up to you and @PharmDCandidate2014? No but seriously Pharm schools have been one of the best barely disguised scam yet.

lol 🙂

c'mon I will make you the founding dean... jk 😉
 
If you could start over back at undergrad, which science-based career would you pick (if non-pharm)? And why didnt you chose this path originally?
Economics... I didn't because I'm a big dumbie stupid head. Pharmacy is okay though, if you're creative with the degree 🙂
 
I would do pharmacy over again. I have absolutely no regrets about it. If I were going to pick another science based career, I would teach jr high/high school. I did consider this when I was in high school, and it was my 2nd choice, but I pharmacy was my 1st choice, and it was a good choice.
 
Its very comforting knowing a lot of you would do it exactly the same. Youd think with all the pessimism that everyone would chose something different.
 
Its very comforting knowing a lot of you would do it exactly the same. Youd think with all the pessimism that everyone would chose something different.

have you noted that the ones who say they would do pharmacy are the ones are already established and havng everything going well for them. "Would" is very different from the reality, what you actually do. I even remember BidingMyTime was saying somewhere that he would NOT do it again if he had to incur ~150K+ in student loans and with all that non-stop pumping from more and more pharmacy schools (correct me if I am wrong).
 
have you noted that the ones who say they would do pharmacy are the ones are already established and havng everything going well for them. "Would" is very different from the reality, what you actually do. I even remember BidingMyTime was saying somewhere that he would NOT do it again if he had to incur ~150K+ in student loans and with all that non-stop pumping from more and more pharmacy schools (correct me if I am wrong).

Welll if I was forced into a time machine and ignoring all time paradoxes, I would do it over again ... I would not on the other hand voluntarily repeat rx school, not would I do it starting from scratch today
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I even remember BidingMyTime was saying somewhere that he would NOT do it again if he had to incur ~150K+ in student loans and with all that non-stop pumping from more and more pharmacy schools (correct me if I am wrong).

I don't know if I said I absolutely wouldn't do, I think I said I would think very long and hard about doing it, if I were going to incur that much debt. Not to mention the expected 6 - 10 year time commitment (I thought 5 years was a long time to go to school.)

But like Type B, I read the question as going back into time to my ancient high school self, and with the knowledge I have today, would I still make the same career choice. Yes I would. Would I make the same career choice today in 2014 as a high schooler? That is harder to say, but I certainly wouldn't be able to make the decision as easily as I did when I was actually in high school. I feel for high schoolers today & my children.....all career choices are pretty sucky.
 
I don't know if I said I absolutely wouldn't do, I think I said I would think very long and hard about doing it, if I were going to incur that much debt. Not to mention the expected 6 - 10 year time commitment (I thought 5 years was a long time to go to school.)

But like Type B, I read the question as going back into time to my ancient high school self, and with the knowledge I have today, would I still make the same career choice. Yes I would. Would I make the same career choice today in 2014 as a high schooler? That is harder to say, but I certainly wouldn't be able to make the decision as easily as I did when I was actually in high school. I feel for high schoolers today & my children.....all career choices are pretty sucky.

Sorry to not quote you exactly.... But I was under the impression that you would not, given the context of that original quote. I am just too lazy to dig that out. But that does not really matter....

Honestly I would be really confused after reading your response if I wanted to make a decision based on it 🙂
 
Sorry to not quote you exactly.... But I was under the impression that you would given the context of that original quote. I am just too lazy to dig that out. But that does not really matter....

Honestly I would be really confused after reading your response if I want to make a decision based on it 🙂

I understand that. I'd be pretty confused myself I had to make the choice under todays conditions. I love pharmacy and I absolutely made the right decision for myself at the time I made it. But I did have doubts at the time, I wasn't 100% sure then I was making the right decision. With today's climate & overpriced colleges, I would be even less sure of my decision. Ultimate its a personal choice each student of today has to make for themselves, but the fact that most will have huge debt loans certainly should be a major consideration. That may not be a deal breaker for everyone, but its something to consider.