Do PA's really make $100,000?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
how long will it take to actually train that nurse tho?
It's been posted. Four years for a BSN, 2-3 years of working in a critical setting (for which they are paid the same amount as any other nurse), and 2-3 years in school to be a CRNA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, no. I just watched a coronary bypass/triscuspid valve replacement last summer and a CRNA was keeping the patient under. The anesthesiologist popped his head in for only about 3 seconds at one point throughout the entire 4 hour procedure. But **** CRNAs, right? They don't know what the hell they are doing, and how dare they make that much money!

N=1.

Also, no one said CRNA's don't know what they're doing. But try and tell me they know how to do their job as well as an MD Anesthesiologist. At the end of the day, when the chips are down and things are tight, no one wants a CRNA when they could have an Anesthesiologist.

Mmhm..you keep telling your self that mmkay? ;):smuggrin:

I will...you know why? Because I am goign to medical school and doing what ive wanted to do for years. (and i dont have to change bedsheets and depends for a living)

There's a reason why PA is extremely popular of a career choice. I personally think that its a smart choice for many people. PA's making over 100k isn't anything new, EM or surgical PA's makes a great deal, the average PA makes around 80k. Medical school is a very nice for people who are 20 and have no families. When you have a family it's a bit difficult to do, where as PA school provides a slightly more suitable curriculum. Doctors are also still make a decent pay, average pay is still double what PA's make. In the end, PA's are the guys/girls who could get into medical school but were smart enough to realize its not worth it and just throw away 3 years. :laugh:

The PA's I have talked to could not get a good score on the MCAT and medical school became unrealistic so they took the easy GRE and got into PA school.

There's a reason why PA is extremely popular of a career choice. I personally think that its a smart choice for many people. PA's making over 100k isn't anything new, EM or surgical PA's makes a great deal, the average PA makes around 80k. Medical school is a very nice for people who are 20 and have no families. When you have a family it's a bit difficult to do, where as PA school provides a slightly more suitable curriculum. Doctors are also still make a decent pay, average pay is still double what PA's make. In the end, PA's are the guys/girls who could get into medical school but were smart enough to realize its not worth it and just throw away 3 years. :laugh:
don't think that assertion can be made. Just graduating as a doctor does not merit anyone can do it, it's living with that decision for the rest of your life that = MD

The PA's I have talked to could not get a good score on the MCAT and medical school became unrealistic so they took the easy GRE and got into PA school.
gre is also not easy, you have to look at median score accepted for each school to merit which school graduates the brightest (in standardized terms).

This subtly brings up a very good point, alot of premeds/med students like to complain about midlevels, CRNA's, etc. making a ton of money, but the reason they make this much is b/c practicing MD's value their services are are willing to hire them.

For example, I know a plastic surgeon who thinks it would be absurd to have to have an MD anesthesiologist for his practice, when a nurse anesthetist does the job just fine.
that is all due to saving money for the practice. This is an ongoing trend in medicine nowadays. Before the reason was 'cause there's a shortage'...now when more schools have opened and the supply for MD isn't as bleak the real reason about 'money' comes in.

You just bumped a thread that has been silent for 6 years. With a totally trollish response.

Reactions: 5 users
Do physican assistant really make 100k a year???? why would you go to MD school then???

what is everybodys thoughts on PA's......?????? too low class ??? good helpers?? or what?? '

Engineers make $100,000 a year with only 4 years after high school. PA is not the lucrative job you seem to think it is. It's good, but not exceptional.

PA's are undertrained and get no respect. The medical establishment where I work as a scribe has both PAs and MDs practicing, and working with the PAs was shocking.

PAs see patients with chest pain and shortness of breath, tells them to rest and stay hydrated after 5 seconds of auscultation, and may give them an inhaler.
PAs see patients with lesions/rashes/other dermatological problems and tell them its contact dermatitis because that's the extent of their medical knowledge.
One PA I worked with literally did not know how to read a CXR for infiltrates.
PAs ask for MDs opinion on all complex cases, which results in the MD seeing the patient and performing a full physical exam. There was no point in the PA seeing the patient if he could do nothing to help, and was going to refer the case to the MD.

There's a reason why certain patients demand to see an MD and not a PA nor NP when being treated. There's a reason why they get no respect. Their occupation is a joke.

The average GPA of PA matriculants is <3.5, and the average GRE is 305, below 50% for a test that is the equivalent of the SAT. The argument that PAs are smart enough to have gone to medical school but "chose" not to is also completely false, unless if they mean a Caribbean MD.

Reactions: 1 user
PA's are undertrained and get no respect. The medical establishment where I work as a scribe has both PAs and MDs practicing, and working with the PAs was shocking.

PAs see patients with chest pain and shortness of breath, tells them to rest and stay hydrated after 5 seconds of auscultation, and may give them an inhaler.
PAs see patients with lesions/rashes/other dermatological problems and tell them its contact dermatitis because that's the extent of their medical knowledge.
PAs ask for MDs opinion on all complex cases, which results in the MD seeing the patient and performing a full physical exam. There was no point in the PA seeing the patient if he could do nothing to help, and was going to refer the case to the MD.

There's a reason why certain patients demand to see an MD and not a PA nor NP when being treated. There's a reason why they get no respect. Their occupation is a joke.

The average GPA of PA matriculants is <3.5, and the average GRE is 305, below 50% for a test that is the equivalent of the SAT. The argument that PAs are smart enough to have gone to medical school but "chose" not to is also completely false, unless if they mean a Caribbean MD.
double_facepalm1.png

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

By all means write off an entire profession based on an anecdotal experience you had, in a thread that had been dead for years.

Reactions: 2 users

By all means write off an entire profession based on an anecdotal experience you had, in a thread that had been dead for years.

I also work in a practice (dermatology) with MDs/DOs/PAs and I understand where Cara is coming from. I, as well as other scribes, HATE working with the PAs (we have 2) because it is so blatantly obvious that they do not know what they are doing ~30% of the time. The worst part is some of them are too prideful or don't feel the need to ask for the physician's assistance (ironic?) even though their treatment regimen is not effective (or their diagnosis is wrong... But I would rather not get into that). There have been a couple of instances where after the PA has left the room, I suggested (more like convinced) the patient to make a follow-up appointment with the physician.

I am not trying to bash PAs and I don't think all PAs are like this, it may just be that dermatology is a very complex field that isn't suited for PAs. Or it could be that these PAs became overly-confident and don't work with the physicians as much as they should.

This experience though made me so much happier chosing the physician route. Of course it's a longer time commitment and more stressful, but at the end of the day I know that I would not be happy being limited by education as a PA, and at the end of the day you want to be happy with what you do. But everyone is different; the PA profession is more for people that do not wish to have to worry about all the responsibility but still care for patients, which is totally respectable and suits certain people perfectly.

Engineers make $100,000 a year with only 4 years after high school. PA is not the lucrative job you seem to think it is. It's good, but not exceptional.

Uh, engineers definitely do not make that much.

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Mechanical_Engineer/Salary

Please check your facts. Look at any other engineering discipline, none will get close to 100k.

The ones making 100k are usually software developers and those are heavily coveted jobs. Ive had the pleasure of meeting with Google CompScientists and they make around 120k. The difference is those guys are actually geniuses. relative to PAs who make similar or doctors who can make triple that and are not comparatively as good.

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Software_Engineer_/_Developer_/_Programmer/Salary

Even then when I look at it. You have to be at the 90th percentile of Software developers to crack 110k.

Please check your facts. Look at any other engineering discipline, none will get close to 100k.

The ones making 100k are usually software developers and those are heavily coveted jobs. Ive had the pleasure of meeting with Google CompScientists and they make around 120k. The difference is those guys are actually geniuses. relative to PAs who make similar or doctors who can make triple that and are not comparatively as good.

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Software_Engineer_/_Developer_/_Programmer/Salary

Even then when I look at it. You have to be at the 90th percentile of Software developers to crack 110k.

I did check my facts: Look at mean salaries for engineers, those are the middle value under each heading. Those look damn close to 100K...

Also, another one below from the BLS for mechanical engineers

Again, all of those are pretty close to 100k

Industry Median Entry-Level Salary1 Mean Annual Salary2 Top 10 Percent3
Biomedical Engineering

$60,698 $91,760 $139,350
Civil Engineering

$55,220 $87,130 $128,110
Computer Engineering

$66,945

$67,779 $110,650

$106,050 $160,610

$154,800
Chemical Engineering

$66,281 $103,590 $156,980
Electrical Engineering

$64,138 $95,780 $143,200
Environmental Engineering

$54,751 $86,340 $125,380
Geological and Mining Engineering and Sciences

Data Not Provided $100,970 $159,010
Materials Science and Engineering

$65,979 $91,150 $138,450
Mechanical Engineering

$61,523 $87,140 $126,430

Perform engineering duties in planning and designing tools, engines, machines, and other mechanically functioning equipment. Oversee installation, operation, maintenance, and repair of equipment such as centralized heat, gas, water, and steam systems.

National estimates for this occupation
Industry profile for this occupation
Geographic profile for this occupation
National estimates for this occupation: Top
Employment estimate and mean wage estimates for this occupation:

Employment (1) Employment
RSE (3)
Mean hourly
wage
Mean annual
wage (2)
Wage RSE (3)
270,700 1.3 % $41.89 $87,140 0.5 %
Percentile wage estimates for this occupation:

Percentile 10% 25% 50%
(Median)
75% 90%
Hourly Wage $25.58 $31.79 $39.93 $50.15 $60.79
Annual Wage (2) $53,210 $66,110 $83,060 $104,310 $126,430

If you went to college and aren't making 100k/year by your mid 30s, either the effort isn't worth it to you, you live in an extremely low COL area, or you've done something wrong. This should be obtainable in most industries with 10-15 years of experience.

The problem with being 19 years old and in college is that you are basing your experience off of things you learned and saw in childhood and what you can find on the internet. When you are 19, things that happened 7 years ago occurred when you weren't even a teenager. When you are 35, things that happened 7 years ago occurred when you had had gainful professional employment for 5+ years and had by and large the same thought process you do now. To a 19 year old, ages 28 and 35 might as well be the same, though.

You can't see the forest for the trees. You found some crap online and deduced that the only way you can make a certain amount of money is basically to get luck or be a genius. False. You make money by working hard to obtain valuable and marketable skills. The premed conclusion that becoming a doctor is the only way to reliably make $100k+ is a fallacy because it is based on the fact that nearly all doctors make this much immediately after residency combined with the failure to understand that advancement in pay in other fields from your starting salary is not random or based on luck.

Last edited:
If you went to college and aren't making 100k/year by your mid 30s, either the effort isn't worth it to you, you live in an extremely low COL area, or you've done something wrong. This should be obtainable in most industries with 10-15 years of experience.

The median income in the US is 50k. It astounds me how out of touch most premeds are with the realities that 95% of the US population lives under.

100k is the 91st percentile of all US earners in America.

http://politicalcalculations.blogspot.com/2014/09/what-is-your-income-percentile-ranking.html

You make statements that have no basis in reality. But of course, I got this data off the internet so maybe we cant trust it. I say these things because compared to getting into medical school as an applicant, you have much lower chances of earning 100k in a year.

One of my friends started as a drywaller after HS. Now 20 years later his company is flying, employing about 200 people in steady work. The tune up on his boat's engines cost more than the average PA earns in a year. He's a highschool grad who learned how to drywall and hustled like a mother ****er ever since. He could be drinking a 6 pack a night after dry walling another 7-11, but he worked his way to the top of his game.

--
Il Destriero

Reactions: 1 users
The median income in the US is 50k. It astounds me how out of touch most premeds are with the realities that 95% of the US population lives under.

It astounds me how college students are unable to think critically and put this figure in perspective. If you are posting here, you are well, well above where the median American falls on intelligence and work ethic. Don't believe me? Take a trip to your local wal-mart and look at your fellow citizens shopping. I am truly sorry for you if you believe that going to medical school is the only way you are ever going to make $100k/year+ I made that much at age 26 on my side business (which was all highly skilled technical manual labor not requiring any sort of degree) not even counting my professional engineering job, which had absolutely nothing to do with medicine.

He's a highschool grad who learned how to drywall and hustled like a mother ****er ever since. He could be drinking a 6 pack a night after dry walling another 7-11, but he worked his way to the top of his game.

But, but, but... he just got LUCKY and it had nothing to do with how hard he worked or how smart he was. Internet statistics told me that drywall installers earn 4 cents/day. This is clearly the max I can expect to earn unless I become a doctor.

I say these things because compared to getting into medical school as an applicant, you have much lower chances of earning 100k in a year.

Yes, if you base those chances solely on random dumb luck. Nobody is going to pay you $100k/year just because you have a degree and no skills. It's called entry level for a reason. If you choose to do the bare minimum at work and not develop any skills or develop a skill that nobody else cares about, that's your fault.

The reason most Americans don't earn $100k+ is because you can't do that without working more than 40 hours per week at some point and having a job that has serious consequences if you screw up. And LOL if you think you're going to earn that in medicine without working more than 40 hours per week. Most americans are content with earning less money in less demanding roles as opposed to the alternative of earning more money at the cost of more difficult work and longer hours. Those that are not content with it can make a lot of money, even in blue collar lines of work.

But, but, but... he just got LUCKY and it had nothing to do with how hard he worked or how smart he was. Internet statistics told me that drywall installers earn 4 cents/day. This is clearly the max I can expect to earn unless I become a doctor.
Yes EXACTLY! Everyone should open up their own [insert manual labor or whatever] company and if they are smart and work hard they are guaranteed a good living because someone here knows one guy that did it! I'm surprised this is really news to anyone here, the country clubs and nice restaurants around me are chock full of loaded, hard working, and smart manual laborers.

Yes EXACTLY! Everyone should open up their own [insert manual labor or whatever] company and if they are smart and work hard they are guaranteed a good living because someone here knows one guy that did it! I'm surprised this is really news to anyone here, the country clubs and nice restaurants around me are chock full of loaded, hard working, and smart manual laborers.

BINGO! The only way to GUARANTEE $100k/year+ is to go to med school. This way, in case you turn out to be lazy or incompetent, you still get paid a lot! Ssshhh, don't tell anybody else your little secret.

Country clubs typically aren't interesting to blue collar small business owners. They prefer to spend time hauling their $200k boat to the lake with their $60k truck or working on any of their 10 motorcycles or building a new pool in their backyard, etc. You can look down on them if you want, but the dealership will take their money just as much as yours. Since you like anecdotes so much, ferraris are notoriously expensive to own and maintain. I've known a few exotic mechanics. They have their own $100k+ ferraris, lambos, etc. Labor costs are zero when you do the work yourself. But of course a mechanic is a mechanic right? The jiffy lube guy could do it too, but he just got unlucky.

BINGO! The only way to GUARANTEE $100k/year+ is to go to med school. This way, in case you turn out to be lazy or incompetent, you still get paid a lot! Ssshhh, don't tell anybody else your little secret.

Country clubs typically aren't interesting to blue collar small business owners. They prefer to spend time hauling their $200k boat to the lake with their $60k truck or working on any of their 10 motorcycles or building a new pool in their backyard, etc. You can look down on them if you want, but the dealership will take their money just as much as yours. Since you like anecdotes so much, ferraris are notoriously expensive to own and maintain. I've known a few exotic mechanics. They have their own $100k+ ferraris, lambos, etc. Labor costs are zero when you do the work yourself. But of course a mechanic is a mechanic right? The jiffy lube guy could do it too, but he just got unlucky.
I'm not looking down at anyone.

Obligatory link: http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html/newsgraphics/2012/0115-one-percent-occupations/

Bottom line: certain careers are much safer bets to make a very decent living and medical school is at the top of that list. That is my only point. Sure people can do well in any industry, but the top 1% earners of many industries make the same as the 50th percentile of others.

That is my only point. Sure people can do well in any industry, but the top 1% earners of many industries make the same as the top 50% of others.

And again, your point is completely based on the assumption that earning in the top x% is based on luck or things otherwise detached from skill development, intelligence, and effort.
The common driving force among many premeds is self-doubt about career development ability. So they pursue medicine, a career where, if you do the bare minimum to pass and end up marginally competent you can still make a lot of money. This is a very poor reason for wanting to go to med school.

If you all were making the argument that you'll have a hard time ever making $400k/year+ in other industries no matter how hard you work, you might have a point. Because that is a very reasonable and obtainable goal in medicine. But $100k/year? Like I said, if you can't attain that, you've done something wrong. The fact that the number $100k/year is being thrown out there just shows how out of touch you all are.

And again, your point is completely based on the assumption that earning in the top x% is based on luck or things otherwise detached from skill development, intelligence, and effort.
I do not think it is detached from skill development, intelligence, nor effort whatsoever. However, "luck" is more involved with starting a successful business and/or working your way up the corporate ladder, etc. when compared to being successful in medicine. Medicine is more predictable.

The common driving force among many premeds is self-doubt about career development ability. So they pursue medicine, a career where, if you do the bare minimum to pass and end up marginally competent you can still make a lot of money. This is a very poor reason for wanting to go to med school. I agree.

If you all were making the argument that you'll have a hard time ever making $400k/year+ in other industries no matter how hard you work, you might have a point. Because that is a very reasonable and obtainable goal in medicine. But $100k/year? Like I said, if you can't attain that, you've done something wrong. The fact that the number $100k/year is being thrown out there just shows how out of touch you all are.
I think you are the one who is out of touch if you think ANYONE in ANY industry can make $100k by their mid 30s if they work hard. I think we have two very different views on income potential and probably will never see eye to eye on this issue, but that's what makes the world go round. Best of luck in your career!

I think you are the one who is out of touch if you think ANYONE in ANY industry can make $100k by their mid 30s if they work hard. I think we have two very different views on income potential and probably will never see eye to eye on this issue, but that's what makes the world go round. Best of luck in your career!

Unless you are in a career with a strictly limited income ceiling, such as a public school teacher, then yes, yes they can. And even in those jobs, there is nothing stopping those people from having formal second jobs or informal second side businesses. This is actually relatively common. You have a steady job with a modest paycheck and benefits and then you have a side gig with much more variable income. I've been in this position and have known plenty of others who did it as well. But when we got off work at 5, we didn't come home and watch TV and go to bed at 10. We came home, ate dinner, and worked until midnight or later, got up at 6 and repeated this every day. I did this for years. And of course I didn't say anyone can do it. That's why you all can't interpret the statistics about average income. If you are intelligent AND hard-working AND skilled. You need all of these things, and not everybody has them. Coincidentally, you need these three things to succeed in medicine as well. Shocking!

You seriously, seriously lack perspective if you think that earning $100k/year after 15 years in a professional career is something you might not be able to achieve by working hard. This should be the bare minimum for motivated young professionals. If you're content with staying at the same company forever and doing average work and getting 2% raises, fine. But nobody is forcing to accept that easier quality of life. Opportunities to make more money are ALWAYS there. You seem to have this false belief that you can totally bust your ass, become incredibly skilled, and still remain underemployeed. If this happens, it's your fault. If you go to med school, do crappy, get a crappy residency, fail boards, and end up work some crappy clinic job where you refuse to do more than 40 hours a week and end up with only $100k/year or less, it's your fault also. You will work just as hard in medicine to make a lot of money as well. And you are a fool if you think medicine is a safe bet. Graduating medical school is not easy. Passing the exams is not easy. It's not like you just get in and don't have to worry anymore. You are always just one failed exam away from everything going down the drain. You still have another decade until you are board certified, and even then there are plenty of things out there that can totally tank your career and earning potential.

The psych PA I used to work for makes 112k/year, started at 96k. The MDs at the same place make 204k starting, highest I know of makes 260k there. But he told me he breaks 300 if he does locum work. Everyone is 8:30-5 M-F (unless you're doing locum).

The PAs and NPs are fantastic there. They found out how much the MDs make and got pretty upset though. "We do the same work, why don't we get paid as much?" Then again, they also said that PA/NP school was harder than medical school. The rationale was that they took the same courses, but in half the time. I dug a little deeper, found out they took undergrad micro and immuno...

Heck, my cousin just got a $100K year job out of a computer science undergrad. No grad program required. six figures are not hard to come by these days.

Unless you are in a career with a strictly limited income ceiling, such as a public school teacher, then yes, yes they can. And even in those jobs, there is nothing stopping those people from having formal second jobs or informal second side businesses. This is actually relatively common. You have a steady job with a modest paycheck and benefits and then you have a side gig with much more variable income. I've been in this position and have known plenty of others who did it as well. But when we got off work at 5, we didn't come home and watch TV and go to bed at 10. We came home, ate dinner, and worked until midnight or later, got up at 6 and repeated this every day. I did this for years. And of course I didn't say anyone can do it. That's why you all can't interpret the statistics about average income. If you are intelligent AND hard-working AND skilled. You need all of these things, and not everybody has them. Coincidentally, you need these three things to succeed in medicine as well. Shocking!

I was arguing against your first point, that anyone with a college degree can make $100k. I agree with your second reply.

My goodness this post is like the writing on a bathroom stall. The amount of uneducated responses by so called "medical students" is actually embarassing, seeing as you supposedly pride yourselves in fact based medicine.
Regaedless, the only reason I joined this terrible forum is to voice my opinion after noticing this "chat" through a Google search. I myself am a surgical pa 3 years out from school working in New York City. I am not an underpaid robin to a batman that could not get into medical school. In fact I am a well paid medical provider who chose this rewarding career for my own personal preference. I lead the post operative care of inpatient bariatric patients along with another fellow pa, see about 25 patients a week in my own personal clinic (with cases varying from initial visits to post op follow ups), and first assist in surgery about 1x per week. I am involved in studies with papers presented and published at a national level. I educate pa and medical students who rotate with us to the best of my ability. My patients love me and my attendings have my full trust, leaving my counterpart and I as an independent pa run service. We run one of the largest bariatric services in the country, taking care of about 1000 surgical patients a year. These patients not only are plentiful, but they are sick and underserved as well.
My base salary is 95 for 3 12 hour shifts, plus 60 an hour for an extra 1-2 days of ot of my choosing for a total salary of ~125k after pre tax withholdings. I have a full 401k and 1000 in cme money as well mind you, so do the math yourself if you can.
I am not the little helper that runs after the doctor with his notepad, happily writing down his thoughts. I am a serious and respected independent provider, as are all my colleagues. We are here in the medical field and we are here to stay.
If any students or would be students have any interest in the pa profession, please do not hesitate to contact me for questions.
The salary censuses typically are outdated with poor national attendance by PAs. The average salary changes yearly. Most PAs with experience easily make over 110k without ot, a fair compensation for two years of post grad school and minimal student loans. I know pa's who make just north of 200k. Then again I know physicians who make just shy of 1 million. It's all relative...

Most of the PA's in the emergency rooms I scribe for make > 100k after 2-3 yrs out of school.