Do PA's really make $100,000?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gerrybrown82

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do physican assistant really make 100k a year???? why would you go to MD school then???

what is everybodys thoughts on PA's......?????? too low class ??? good helpers?? or what?? '

Members don't see this ad.

Meth is bad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah some make prolly a little over 100,000 depending how much yrs of exp. they have...You also have to consider taxes too! what is 100,000 after taxes anyway?

CRNAs I heard are now making MORE MONEY THAN DOCS 180,000!!!!! Freakin unbelievable!:scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Do physican assistant really make 100k a year???? why would you go to MD school then???

what is everybodys thoughts on PA's......?????? too low class ??? good helpers?? or what?? '

My thoughts on P.As well the ones on the P.A forum are kinda biatchy :D...maybe because they're so use to defending their P.Aness and such...I haven't encountered any I think, though.:p

The median salary for PA's last yr was 81k, so not like they are all making over 100k.

PAs work in all different specialties and each specialty has a different salary that usually correlates well to physician salaries. A PA in EM working nights can make over 100k. A PA working in peds makes 60-70k.

Yeah some make prolly a little over 100,000 depending how much yrs of exp. they have...You also have to consider taxes too! what is 100,000 after taxes anyway?

CRNAs I heard are now making MORE MONEY THAN DOCS 180,000!!!!! Freakin unbelievable!:scared:

You can also go to AA school....they start out at like 115 a year or something like that and can work up to around 160ish? Then you get to skip the nursing! :) Although you can only work in certain states haha

And the malpractice insurance isn't nearly as expensive as for doctors.

There's a reason why PA is extremely popular of a career choice. I personally think that its a smart choice for many people. PA's making over 100k isn't anything new, EM or surgical PA's makes a great deal, the average PA makes around 80k. Medical school is a very nice for people who are 20 and have no families. When you have a family it's a bit difficult to do, where as PA school provides a slightly more suitable curriculum. Doctors are also still make a decent pay, average pay is still double what PA's make. In the end, PA's are the guys/girls who could get into medical school but were smart enough to realize its not worth it and just throw away 3 years. :laugh:

There's a reason why PA is extremely popular of a career choice. I personally think that its a smart choice for many people. PA's making over 100k isn't anything new, EM or surgical PA's makes a great deal, the average PA makes around 80k. Medical school is a very nice for people who are 20 and have no families. When you have a family it's a bit difficult to do, where as PA school provides a slightly more suitable curriculum. Doctors are also still make a decent pay, average pay is still double what PA's make. In the end, PA's are the guys/girls who could get into medical school but were smart enough to realize its not worth it and just throw away 3 years. :laugh:

It's only not worth it if you value your twenties and early thirties! If all you want is money then med school is definitely a better payoff in the end!

Nope. both my parents are PAs, pretty good ones or so I've heard, and have been for about 30 years each. But neither makes that much.

Members don't see this ad :)

Why exactly is that Freakin unbelievable!?

That's why I'm becoming a doc. No ankle bitters in my way or needy b.f/husband :smuggrin: if I fail it's because I'm too stupid.:(

Sure, they can. A CRNA can make over $150,000 once they're established, and a CRNA in an underserved location can make north of $200K.

That's why I'm becoming a doc. No ankle bitters in my way or needy b.f/husband :smuggrin: if I fail it's because I'm too stupid.:(

I say that in the regard that its more difficult to become a doctor when your 30 with kids in school and a wife who needs feeding. :laugh:
I'm not saying that people go into medicine to be outcasts.

Why exactly is that Freakin unbelievable!?

I don't know about you but I don't want a CRNA that took a 24-36 mon. class in charge of putting me under and keeping me alive..:smuggrin:

Hey everyones different though :rolleyes:

I thought PA's were a very recently established field.

They've been around since the 60-70s when army medics with many thousands of hours of experience needed more civilian type jobs. that actually was how my father got into it... So they've always been around. only recently did they become pervasive and only recently did the training become the Mickey Mouse variety that allows 21-22 year olds prescribe meds and practice medicine.

My thoughts on P.As well the ones on the P.A forum are kinda biatchy :D...maybe because they're so use to defending their P.Aness and such...I haven't encountered any I think, though.:p

That sounds wrong. lol

I still haven't completely ruled out PA school but I know the main reason I am considering it is because it would be easier for me. I would be out of look in about 27 months and likely work a 9-5 job. It's incredibly tempting but I know I wouldn't be fulfilling my full potential.

But as for the actual training, keep in mind that NP's & CRNA's have awesome earning potential. Actually it's not uncommon to see a CRNA salary at $240,000! Regardless of what profession you choose, the best advice I've ever gotten is to make the decision that you won't regret. And regret is not something you want to live with...

I suspect its much tougher to get into PA school right out of undergrad than it is med school. PA schools put WAY more emphasis on clinical experience than med schools do. For most people coming out of undergrad its not really feasible that they have had time to be an EMT or whatever for several years (some people do it, but its not the norm obviously)

I mostly post in the non-traditional forum, but knowing a few PAs (and CRNAs) I want to weigh in.

Yes, PAs can make upward of $100k (in certain specialities [surgery and EM]) and yes, CRNAs can make upward of $200,000 (especially in under served areas).

I make about $100,000 now doing something else (running clinical trials at a biotech company), but I always wanted to be a physician, and I'd personally take a pay-cut to pursue a passion (hence the reason I'm now working on applying to medical school). So just because you can become a PA, if you really want to be a physician you might not be happy as a PA.

I agree that PA is a better route for those with a husband/wife and kids as it offers more flexibility and you can enter into the work world faster. It may also be good for those that don't want to spend a lot of time in school.

That PA fresh out of 2 years of PA school will make twice as much as you fresh out of four years of med school for at least 3 years.

That PA fresh out of 2 years of PA school will make twice as much as you fresh out of four years of med school for at least 3 years.

who cares, they still have to do crap work the doc doesn't want to do like paperwork and rectal exams and such... but if thats your styz then have at it...just don't get all hot and bothered when you don't get the repsect you think you desrve :smuggrin:

Doing the same tasks, too.

And you will one day escape. They will still be a PA.

In the end it's useless to say which is better, because it all comes down to individual preference, what you want out of life, what makes you happy. I'm pretty sure PAs have high job satisfaction in general.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1381814/

Physician assistants expressed the most satisfaction with the amount of responsibility, support from coworkers, job security, working hours, supervision, and task variety. They were less satisfied with workload, control over the pace of work, and opportunities for advancement. Most physician assistants were also satisfied with pay and fringe benefits. Compared with other nonphysician providers, chemical dependency counselors expressed the highest levels of satisfaction across the various dimensions of work and optometrists the lowest. Nurse practitioners, chemical dependency counselors, and mental health professionals also tended to be satisfied with most aspects of practice in this setting.

I cannot even express how shat upon substance abuse counselors are, but they are happy. It's all a matter of who you are and what you want to ACHIEVE in your life.

haha nice comment on the taking crap from the doc. Honestly that's what most PAs will have to deal with in a hospital. In private practice, they will see themselves doing more work and getting paid less than the docs. They will also receive less respect (from most people). So keep that in mind if you want to be a PA. Being a CRNA takes time honestly. getting an RN, working 3 years in critical care and then three years more of school. It's kind of like going to medical school, but doing it over a long time. RN = 4 years, critical care = 3 years and 3 more years of school. That my friend is over 10 years of school. Become an EM doc or for that matter any doc other than a ped or family practice at a private practice, and you'll make much more than a CRNA. Also the cap for them is much, much, much lower. While many docs even in IM, end up making more than 200k a year after being in practice for 5 years and again that's if you take it at an HMO, plus the job is low low stress (relatively speaking). In the end being a doc is a much better pay off. As for PAs, well i made my point earlier.

They've been around since the 60-70s when army medics with many thousands of hours of experience needed more civilian type jobs. that actually was how my father got into it... So they've always been around. only recently did they become pervasive and only recently did the training become the Mickey Mouse variety that allows 21-22 year olds prescribe meds and practice medicine.

Hey don't forget the navy corpsmen. As a corpsman we take great pride in knowning that a corpsman was one of the first PAs. I know we are a crazy bunch. :D

who cares, they still have to do crap work the doc doesn't want to do like paperwork and rectal exams and such... but if thats your styz then have at it...just don't get all hot and bothered when you don't get the repsect you think you desrve :smuggrin:

Doctors do paperwork and rectal exams.

They also don't get the respect they deserve either.

I'd rather be a doctor though because I want to be in charge of my patients and be able to do impactful research.

I dont get why these threads exist. Who cares what people in other professions make. Stop focusing on others and focus on yourselves. OMG PAs make 100k a year?!?! Cry me a river. They have masters degrees! People with MBAs from top programs make well over 100k WITH A MASTERS. Six years of higher education certainly deserves 6 figures in my book. New RNs at my job actually make 5 dollars an hour MORE than me with an associates degree. I am credentialed as well...a masters degree...and 6 years of experience...but who cares? Not I.

If you care so much about what others think....you are going to be DOCTORS..and get to tell everyone that. Immediately that puts you in the upper echelon in many peoples minds. You arent going to have to say...hey I am a PA/CRNA/NP. :rolleyes:

Ageist ;p

As for the salaries, my mom makes $140k/year as an Associate-degree RN. This is because she works about 65 hours/week and is in a really busy Kaiser. If you are willing to do as much as a CRNA, PA, or NP, I'm sure you'll make MUCH more.

haha nice comment on the taking crap from the doc. Honestly that's what most PAs will have to deal with in a hospital. In private practice, they will see themselves doing more work and getting paid less than the docs. They will also receive less respect (from most people). So keep that in mind if you want to be a PA. Being a CRNA takes time honestly. getting an RN, working 3 years in critical care and then three years more of school. It's kind of like going to medical school, but doing it over a long time. RN = 4 years, critical care = 3 years and 3 more years of school. That my friend is over 10 years of school. Become an EM doc or for that matter any doc other than a ped or family practice at a private practice, and you'll make much more than a CRNA. Also the cap for them is much, much, much lower. While many docs even in IM, end up making more than 200k a year after being in practice for 5 years and again that's if you take it at an HMO, plus the job is low low stress (relatively speaking). In the end being a doc is a much better pay off. As for PAs, well i made my point earlier.
CRNA school is competitive too. The top programs, and all programs in general, have very few seats. Baylor takes 12-15 a year and Vandy takes like 25. Its definitely not the cake wake most SDNers want you to believe it is.

And to who ever thought that PAs were relatively new, they started in like the 1960s, same year as NPs IIRC.

I dont get why these threads exist. Who cares what people in other professions make. Stop focusing on others and focus on yourselves. OMG PAs make 100k a year?!?! Cry me a river. They have masters degrees! People with MBAs from top programs make well over 100k WITH A MASTERS. Six years of higher education certainly deserves 6 figures in my book. New RNs at my job actually make 5 dollars an hour MORE than me with an associates degree. I am credentialed as well...a masters degree...and 6 years of experience...but who cares? Not I.

If you care so much about what others think....you are going to be DOCTORS..and get to tell everyone that. Immediately that puts you in the upper echelon in many peoples minds. You arent going to have to say...hey I am a PA/CRNA/NP. :rolleyes:

At least it's comparing medicine to something similar this time, unlike all the billions and billions of "medicine vs. law?" threads I've seen in the tender month since I joined. MD vs. PA is something a lot of people are agonizing over, it's a worthy discussion.

It takes just 2 years to convert your bio degree into a BSN. There are programs for this.

It then takes about 1-2 years to accumulate 1 year's worth of ICU experience, which is what most CRNA schools require. What is this 3 years thing?

Finally, CRNA school is 2 more years.

However, the time you spent working in the ICU will pay for CRNA school, lol.

At least it's comparing medicine to something similar this time, unlike all the billions and billions of "medicine vs. law?" threads I've seen in the tender month since I joined. MD vs. PA is something a lot of people are agonizing over, it's a worthy discussion.

Yeah if the conversation is about the differences between the two. When it comes down to salaries who cares. Life isnt fair. Midlevels may be midlevels in terms of education..but they still have a lot of responsibility and deserve to be compensated well. The issue at hand is whether you should be allowing midlevels to do the things they do at all IMO....but if you are going to allow them to do these things you need to pay them what they deserve to be paid for that level of responsibility.

I agree that pay is not a reason to pursue medicine. I make $100,000 five years out of college with only a Bachelors. My brother withdrew from Harvard medical school to go work for Goldman Sachs as an investment banker realizing he could quickly make 7 figures there, whereas very few doctors (top few plastic and neurosurgeons) make that.

Doctors have moderate pay (considering time out of workforce) with moderate prestige (I worked in a hospital for a while and didn't see doctors being treated with much reverence). Think about it as a job that you are passionate about. If you're not passionate about it, do something else you are. You'll make a lot more money and be happier pursuing your passion.

Being a CRNA takes time honestly. getting an RN, working 3 years in critical care and then three years more of school. It's kind of like going to medical school, but doing it over a long time. RN = 4 years, critical care = 3 years and 3 more years of school. That my friend is over 10 years of school.
Three years of working in an ICU is not school. It's a job, and they get paid market wages for it.

Mmhm..you keep telling your self that mmkay? ;):smuggrin:

A doc shadowed for about a year pays his NP's and PA's around 120k... and its a family practice.

Sure, they can. A CRNA can make over $150,000 once they're established, and a CRNA in an underserved location can make north of $200K.

how long will it take to actually train that nurse tho?

A doc shadowed for about a year pays his NP's and PA's around 120k... and its a family practice.

This subtly brings up a very good point, alot of premeds/med students like to complain about midlevels, CRNA's, etc. making a ton of money, but the reason they make this much is b/c practicing MD's value their services are are willing to hire them.

For example, I know a plastic surgeon who thinks it would be absurd to have to have an MD anesthesiologist for his practice, when a nurse anesthetist does the job just fine.

This subtly brings up a very good point, alot of premeds/med students like to complain about midlevels, CRNA's, etc. making a ton of money, but the reason they make this much is b/c practicing MD's value their services are are willing to hire them.

For example, I know a plastic surgeon who thinks it would be absurd to have to have an MD anesthesiologist for his practice, when a nurse anesthetist does the job just fine.

That's because it's not that hard to put someone to sleep and keep them stable when all you're doing is giving them a nose job.

I bet if you know any cardiothoracic surgeons, they're using MD Anesthesiologists.

I don't really know why people are so often surprised that someone with a masters degree is making 100k. There are firefighters who are making close to that (counting overtime) with no degree whatsoever. I also know many community college teachers with masters degrees who make less than high school teachers in this area.

That's just the way life works. That's why it's so important to do something you'll love and enjoy, instead of what's going to be the greatest financial benefit.

I don't know about you but I don't want a CRNA that took a 24-36 mon. class in charge of putting me under and keeping me alive..:smuggrin:

Nice job writing 2 to 3 years in months to make it look like less of an accomplishment. And of course, it's not like they actually learn anything on the job, is it? They never gain on the job experience just like every single doctor does, right? :rolleyes: If the training they undergo isn't sufficient for them to do what they do, they wouldn't be licensed.

I bet if you know any cardiothoracic surgeons, they're using MD Anesthesiologists.
Actually, no. I just watched a coronary bypass/triscuspid valve replacement last summer and a CRNA was keeping the patient under. The anesthesiologist popped his head in for only about 3 seconds at one point throughout the entire 4 hour procedure. But **** CRNAs, right? They don't know what the hell they are doing, and how dare they make that much money!

Last edited:
Nice job writing 2 to 3 years in months to make it look like less of an accomplishment. And of course, it's not like they actually learn anything on the job, is it? They never gain on the job experience just like every single doctor does, right? :rolleyes: If the training they undergo isn't sufficient for them to do what they do, they wouldn't be licensed.

Or its a longstanding part of obamacare to get back at docs! jk.

there are CRNA programs that tailor to different practice options.....cardio, em/trauma/flight, rural, etc.

That's because it's not that hard to put someone to sleep and keep them stable when all you're doing is giving them a nose job.

this is exactly my point, if a mid-level is qualified to do something well, people shouldn't complain when people pay them to do it

Good PA is better than bad MD. So that depends on which one you get. Unfortunatelly there are so many "Golden Kids" who were forced to go to med school by their papas and mamas, who had never paid a dime, hardly made it though to get their MD. And there are older people, who worked, had families, then found their passion, made a choice to change, studied because they really wanted to be in med field. And who is better now???
Half of the people on that forum would not go to med school if it wasnt for darn money. Unfortunatelly thats the reality in that country. I would pick a good PA..cause I saw so many sh..ty doctors...