DO Path

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

georgewbush

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi y'all.
I am a 4th year pathology resident and I did not do an internship. Do any of you know the process to bring myself back into the good graces of the AOA and those 5 state organization?

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks DrMom.
Has anyone heard of any DO path residents getting approval by the AOA without having done any internship?

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't personally run across any that have tried, but there simply aren't that many DO pathologists so the fact that I haven't met any means nothing. ;)

If you can meet the requirements under resolution 42 it should be pretty simple since there are no AOA path residencies so it isn't like you had a choice to do an Osteo residency. See if your program will work with you to help you meet those requirements, too.

georgewbush said:
Hi y'all.
I am a 4th year pathology resident and I did not do an internship. Do any of you know the process to bring myself back into the good graces of the AOA and those 5 state organization?

Thank you in advance.

well, one thing you can't do is get declared eligible for AOBPa Board certification. You need ot have taken either an AOA internship or an AGME transition year which could have included..internal medicine, some surgical first years or maybe a peds first year and then gone on to Path...
If oyu are worried about those 5 states...look at the reality..
The AOA generally yields to those 5 states...lookig for them to give residents leeway...if the state doesnt the AOA won't....several posters have had the same issue....
You have to apply to the COPT for approval of your prior program and COPT has been pretty rigid.
The College of Pathologists is the next step after COPT and they won't approve your program if if COPT does not. After AOCPa, the the Board of PAthology(AOBPa) will declare you eligible for taking the Boards...but if the the prior two have not approved you..then you can't take the AOBP boards...
I know because i am the Chair of the AOBPa....
I suggest that if you have not taken the transitional year...and you did not take the proactive route of submitting all your materials from day one of residency for approval by the COPT and AOCPa..you just go the ACGME/ABP Boar droute and forget about the 5 states, because...frankly...the AOA will NOT help you...and this is not because we have not tried to curcumvent the AOA process...it is because the AOA, gives not a patooty about those who don't take the transitional year internship..

So does this only apply to post-training? Meaning that if I wanted to do a fellowship in one of those 5 states, could I?

georgewbush said:
So does this only apply to post-training? Meaning that if I wanted to do a fellowship in one of those 5 states, could I?

Probably not....one poster in the Pathology forum had a similar issue and the program he was filing for decided to not even consider him/her because could nto get a regular license...due to the restrictions on the Osteopathic license

One of the pathology profs at WVSOM is a DO and I know he did an allopathic residency in Hawaii. His name is David Leech. Might want to check WVSOM's website and see if you can find his email address. He is a very nice guy, used to teach at the school I went to in Pikeville.