Aug 16, 2011
Status
Especially if its a male patient. I am wondering what you have heard or experienced. I've heard from a guy that they were disappointed that they got a male PT and made them a little uncomfortable.

jblil

7+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2010
East Coast
Not sure about other people, but if I am in pain or suffering from some uncomfortable condition, I won't be choosy about the person who can make me feel better - be it male, female, transgender or AC/DC...

That said, my DPT class is about 50% male so may be the profession is changing a bit.

goyo1010

5+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2010
Houston
www.linkedin.com
Status
Physical Therapist
Not sure about other people, but if I am in pain or suffering from some uncomfortable condition, I won't be choosy about the person who can make me feel better - be it male, female, transgender or AC/DC...

That said, my DPT class is about 50% male so may be the profession is changing a bit.
Great response. I think certain people still have the mentality of PT being a "Woman's Profession", and to an extent, it is still dominated by women. The profession is definitely changing in terms of demographics, but it'll take time for the general public to become accommodated to the change.

My DPT class only has 12 guys and the other 40 are women. Of course, I am going to Texas Woman's University, so that's understandable. ha

OP
Aug 16, 2011
Status

Very good point

Teresina2005

5+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2012
Status
Pre-Rehab Sci [General], Physical Therapy Student
In my experience as a (young female) PT technician I have encountered:
-1 Male patient who displayed visible physical discomfort (such as tensing up) with a female treating them, especially when manual therapy for sacral and piriformis issues would be utilized. However, when a male PT would deliver his treatment he was able to relax and therefore benefit more for the treatment.
-A few male patients (college age and middle aged) that were all too thrilled to have a young female work with them and saw it as an opportunity to try to get a date. (Best thing you can do is politely turn them down, laugh it off, and then pass them off to a male coworker.)
-Patients (male and female) who will only let 1 person (male or female) in the clinic (PT, PTA, and techs) deliver their treatment of any kind. Some patients do develop favoritism toward a particular PT/PTA and won't have their treatments any other way.
But for the most part, you patient just wants to get better. That being said, if your patients know that you care and can keep the treatment time entertaining, your patients will be happy to be there and work with anyone.

NewDPT31

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 31, 2011
Chicago, Illinois
Status
DPT / OTD
When I was on my last clinical in Seattle, we had a patient who refused to let me touch him(I'm a dude). He also wouldn't let the male massage therapist touch him either. Because we all know a 24 year old guy with 2 weeks before he graduates and 2000 miles away from his school LOVES doing trigger point releases on a middle aged man's shoulder who smells less than clean.